Neil Young song draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
    I like Phish but not the Dead, I'm weird like that.

I don't own any Bowie but I like him a lot better than I used to. I'd fill out a Bowie draft if you needed people, but I wouldn't be able to contribute much insight.
    Alright that's 3!
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by Cobain's Ghost View Post
      i'm stopping at 15 in this one. would love to do a late 80's-early 90's alternative rock/ grunge draft if somebody could figure out the parameters of such a thing.
      Not sure how that would work. Another idea Johnny and I were discussing was a world music draft. Nothing from the US/UK and rosters would be configured based on geography. Not sure how many RJers are into world music but we have 2 and I could organize that.
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
        ... I read somewhere that Walk On's was Neil's response to Lynard Skynard. Do you know if this is true?
        False. Walk On was written before Sweet Home Alabama. Allmusic.com perpetuates this myth in their writeup of On the Beach. Neil never had a problem with Skynyrd doing what they did.
        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
          Not sure how that would work. Another idea Johnny and I were discussing was a world music draft. Nothing from the US/UK and rosters would be configured based on geography. Not sure how many RJers are into world music but we have 2 and I could organize that.
          I wouldn't be much help there, I'd just draft from Split Enz/Crowded House and Midnight Oil.

Comment

• I would also do The Jam/Style Council/Paul Weller, but I doubt anyone else would.

Weller is the closest thing the UK has to Neil, IMO.

Comment

Wanted to add that the world music idea would be an artist rather than song draft.
              - Terence McKenna

Comment

Wanted to add that the world music idea would be an artist rather than song draft.
                I can see how this would be a fun draft to go out there digging and find some new stuff ... better than mining 70's rock to death.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                  False. Walk On was written before Sweet Home Alabama. Allmusic.com perpetuates this myth in their writeup of On the Beach. Neil never had a problem with Skynyrd doing what they did.
                  I only read that recently ... and it didn't really connect with me. Good to know it's BS ... and surprised they kept the review up.

Comment

I can see how this would be a fun draft to go out there digging and find some new stuff ... better than mining 70's rock to death.
                    Yea, that'a a good point...should probably wait on Bowie until after hitting a new genre. My preference:

World Music
                    Phish
                    Wilco
                    Bowie
                    - Terence McKenna

Comment

Yea, that'a a good point...should probably wait on Bowie until after hitting a new genre. My preference:

World Music
                      I'm sure if you set some pretty loose parameters, it would be a great draft ... jazz, even blues/rock/folk based music that has other influences ... that would open things up quite a bit.

Comment

I'm sure if you set some pretty loose parameters, it would be a great draft ... jazz, even blues/rock/folk based music that has other influences ... that would open things up quite a bit.
                        Yea, the only thing I'd want to prevent is someone taking a band like U2 because they're Irish. It would definitely be more about sharing music than trying to assemble the best roster. Even the no US/UK rule would be relaxed to include artists that are clearly in the world music genre because there are plenty. Of course they're all derivative
                        - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Been sitting on this one for a while, I think it's about time for it...

11.05 - "A Dream That Can Last" (Sleeps with Angels, 1994)

Didn't really like this one when I first heard it since the opening piano plinking is a bit annoying and the whole song felt about a half-beat off - now that's what I like best about it. The whole thing just plods along with the drunken piano always feeling like it has to catch up with the rhythm itself and then the bass drum comes in and punctuates things.

Damn, can't find any video. Oh well.

Comment

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                            Been sitting on this one for a while, I think it's about time for it...

11.05 - "A Dream That Can Last" (Sleeps with Angels, 1994)

Didn't really like this one when I first heard it since the opening piano plinking is a bit annoying and the whole song felt about a half-beat off - now that's what I like best about it. The whole thing just plods along with the drunken piano always feeling like it has to catch up with the rhythm itself and then the bass drum comes in and punctuates things.

Damn, can't find any video. Oh well.
                            kurt cobain's funeral march. eerie.

guess i'd better grab a "sleeps with angels" tune now.

11.06 - train of love
                            ~ all in all is all we are ~

kc

Comment

• Pearl Jam has only nine studio albums. That would get thin very quick. REM at least has 15 studio albums to work with.

We've done Beatles, Floyd, Zep already. There aren't that many artists who have enough output, have been around along for different generations to become familiar with them, and be diverse enough to instill in people strong feelings about the material.

Comment

• 11.07 Rapid Transit (Re-ac-tor, 1981)

Killer Chicago blues cut from the underrated Re-ac-tor, only video I can find is this guy doing the riff justice on his Les Paul.
                                One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

Working...
                                X