Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Keeper question.

I know, but it's an off day....

I recently traded for Framber Valdez in RJEL. He's at $8 and will either be in the final year of his contract or can be extended. I know prevailing wisdom says rarely extend pitchers, but Framber has been pretty good at staying healthy and seems to be an exception to that ideology.

I'm going to extend at least 1 year which would make him $13 through 2024, but I might go $18 through 2025. 18 team 5x5 mixed roto.

What sayeth ye?
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

For a top 5-10 pitcher I'd consider an extension if I had them cheap.

I don't think Framber is quite there. I think he's closer to 15-20.

I'm not sure what would make him an exception. Every pitcher is an exception to the injury risk until they aren't, and I'm not sure we have a good way to measure that.

At $8 I'd take the profit and ride it out for his final year.

(So obviously if that's not an option, and you are dead set on extending, my vote is only 1 year).

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post

I recently traded for Framber Valdez in RJEL. He's at $8 and will either be in the final year of his contract or can be extended. I know prevailing wisdom says rarely extend pitchers, but Framber has been pretty good at staying healthy and seems to be an exception to that ideology.

I'm going to extend at least 1 year which would make him $13 through 2024, but I might go $18 through 2025. 18 team 5x5 mixed roto.

What sayeth ye?
      before I traded him I was planning on a 1 year extension. I think a 2 year extension is too much risk and at 18 he might not be very profitable for one or more of the 3 years of his contract. At 13 for the next two years you are likely to maximize value and optimize risk. I'd only extend to 3 years if I felt strongly that he would meet or exceed this years performance over the coming 3 years, which is a question with pitchers.

EDIT: I think I recall you thought it unlikely you would be in the competition for the top spots next year...given that, do you want to trade him as an 8X or have the option to keep him at 13 or trade him as a productive 2023 pitcher with keeper value for 2024 ?
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I'd extend for a year. Agree with Feral that gives overall best value, and if you're likely more than a year away, he gives you an ace or very-near ace for '23 and '24.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

What sayeth ye?
          Like he is going to stay on your team, ha.

Given your propensity to trade give him one year to make that helpful to you.

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
            before I traded him I was planning on a 1 year extension. I think a 2 year extension is too much risk and at 18 he might not be very profitable for one or more of the 3 years of his contract. At 13 for the next two years you are likely to maximize value and optimize risk. I'd only extend to 3 years if I felt strongly that he would meet or exceed this years performance over the coming 3 years, which is a question with pitchers.

EDIT: I think I recall you thought it unlikely you would be in the competition for the top spots next year...given that, do you want to trade him as an 8X or have the option to keep him at 13 or trade him as a productive 2023 pitcher with keeper value for 2024 ?
            The plan is (and you know how that goes) is to get close to the money (5th-9th) next season and compete fop the cash 2024. I'm not looking to do much trading in RJEL if any at all next season unless I absolutely crash and burn.. I also don't see that there will be as much dumping in RJEL going forward as rick's made it clear (and others agree) that there's far too much dumping going on far too early so changes are incoming regarding dumps and trades in general.

I do agree that extending 1 year seems most reasonable and the way to maximize value both to my team and if needed, trade value.

Thanks for the input.
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

The plan is (and you know how that goes) is to get close to the money (5th-9th) next season and compete fop the cash 2024. I'm not looking to do much trading in RJEL if any at all next season unless I absolutely crash and burn.. I also don't see that there will be as much dumping in RJEL going forward as rick's made it clear (and others agree) that there's far too much dumping going on far too early so changes are incoming regarding dumps and trades in general.

I do agree that extending 1 year seems most reasonable and the way to maximize value both to my team and if needed, trade value.

Thanks for the input.
              Interesting, I haven't seen any discussion of this since early/mid season. If we are going to make rules changes seems like we should move forward before any more trading occurs offseason.
              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                Interesting, I haven't seen any discussion of this since early/mid season. If we are going to make rules changes seems like we should move forward before any more trading occurs offseason.
                There were a handful of suggestions from various owners about rules we could implement, it affects in-season trades, not ramp ups to the draft and auction. Regardless of what is or is not changed, my strategy is going to be the same--get out of the basement and compete--my rebuild (in 2 leagues) is over and hopefully, the assentation has begun.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

There were a handful of suggestions from various owners about rules we could implement, it affects in-season trades, not ramp ups to the draft and auction. Regardless of what is or is not changed, my strategy is going to be the same--get out of the basement and compete--my rebuild (in 2 leagues) is over and hopefully, the assentation has begun.
                  I remember the suggestions, there just hasn't been any discussion in at least 3 months. So maybe it happens, maybe not. Although the rules changes would presumably apply to in-season trading, people might want to consider them as they put together their rosters for next season. Anyway, this probably isn't the thread for that discussion, we can get back to Framberpalooza
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I'd go $13 through 2024 and use the extra $5 for hitting.
                    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                    X