DH Only types for 2023 drafts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DH Only types for 2023 drafts

DH Only players in 20-game eligible leagues in 2023 by standard rules. These players failed to play at least 20 games at a fielding position and/or spent the most times in the lineup at DH:

Ohtani
    Miggy
    Martinez
    Cruz
    Vogelbach
    Reyes
    Harper
    La Stella
    Garver
    Langeliers
    Carpenter
    Vientos
    Rios
    Beer
    D. Hall
    F. Alvarez

Wow on Harper! That probably takes him out of the 1st rd in next year's draft.

Comment

And take F. Alvarez off the C list....damn.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
        And removes any chance of having 2 of these on the same team.

Comment

Originally posted by harmon View Post
          And take F. Alvarez off the C list....damn.
          And Langeliers and Garver....

Comment

How many games would be needed to qualify at OF? 5? 10? 15? Does using him at DH for that long devalue him?

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
            Yahoo! leagues let you draft bench players before your roster is full, so you could draft >1 of these guys and bench one until they qualified elsewhere.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
            Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
            Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
              How many games would be needed to qualify at OF? 5? 10? 15? Does using him at DH for that long devalue him?
              I mean, he likely will get OF eligibility at some point in most leagues. But, what if he doesn't? I had him as a pick in the 6-8 range, maybe DH-only eligibility drops him to 12-20, or maybe it doesn't. I wouldn't take him at 6-8 anymore, that's for sure.

That's a pretty antiquated rule in most roto leagues, but regardless, I'm not sure anyone would ever draft 2 DH-only types.

Comment

I mean, he likely will get OF eligibility at some point in most leagues. But, what if he doesn't? I had him as a pick in the 6-8 range, maybe DH-only eligibility drops him to 12-20, or maybe it doesn't. I wouldn't take him at 6-8 anymore, that's for sure.
                Fair point. I assumed Harper's time at DH was due to his injury. He played full time OF in 2021. Is there a reason to believe he won't play mostly in the OF next season?

I did a deep dive on some of these guys and was surprised at how many played 0 games in the field - casualties of the universal DH rule.

The outlier for me is Langliers, who came up late and split time at C/DH. Oakland might give him more time at C, or maybe not, so worst case scenario means it could take him 6-8 weeks to get 15 games at C.

It would be a fun over/under bet as to whether this list will qualify in the field at some point next year.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Yahoo! leagues let you draft bench players before your roster is full, so you could draft >1 of these guys and bench one until they qualified elsewhere.
                  Our leagues are 20 games from last year. They are 5 in year.

So as soon as one of these would get to 5 games this upcoming season we can move them.

I was shocked to see Harper did not qualify at 20 games.

Comment

Fair point. I assumed Harper's time at DH was due to his injury. He played full time OF in 2021. Is there a reason to believe he won't play mostly in the OF next season?

I did a deep dive on some of these guys and was surprised at how many played 0 games in the field - casualties of the universal DH rule.

The outlier for me is Langliers, who came up late and split time at C/DH. Oakland might give him more time at C, or maybe not, so worst case scenario means it could take him 6-8 weeks to get 15 games at C.

It would be a fun over/under bet as to whether this list will qualify in the field at some point next year.
                    In NFBC leagues, which has 10 game in-season eligibility, Harper played in 98 games and still needed 2 more games to qualify as an OFer. So you could be looking at July before he's eligible. How much does that damage his NFBC ADP? Probably by a lot.

Comment

In NFBC leagues, which has 10 game in-season eligibility, Harper played in 98 games and still needed 2 more games to qualify as an OFer. So you could be looking at July before he's eligible. How much does that damage his NFBC ADP? Probably by a lot.
                      I am not sure that eligibility will have as much effect as health.

While it might be inconvenient to my auction strategy, I would gladly fill my UT spot with a discounted Harper.

He was kept at $44 and played out. So he is back in the auction. If I can get him under $39 or less I will be happy to do so.

Comment

Imagine sitting there at the turn and seeing Ohtani and Harper there knowing you can realistically only take one of them

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                          Imagine sitting there at the turn and seeing Ohtani and Harper there knowing you can realistically only take one of them
                          If it's clear Harper will play OF, you can take both, put Ohtani at P and use him there until Harper can be moved.

Non ideal, but plausible.
                          Follow me on Twitter @ToddZola

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Zola View Post
                            If it's clear Harper will play OF, you can take both, put Ohtani at P and use him there until Harper can be moved.

Non ideal, but plausible.
                            Except in leagues where there is 2 Ohtani’ s . The pitcher and the batter.

Comment

Originally posted by hacko View Post
                              Except in leagues where there is 2 Ohtani’ s . The pitcher and the batter.
                              Yahoooohoooo!
                              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X