Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MLB survey: What's the one thing you would change about baseball?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
    Any thoughts on MLB lifting blackout rules? As it stands, a NL west fan living in Las Vegas can't watch ANY NL West games on MLB.TV nor the A's or Angels--Heck, I moved to Tucson (400+ Miles) and they Padres are even blacked out here.
    That would have been my vote if they didnt specifically say "on-field" in the question and I also thought there would be an off-field question where I could vent about how archaic their stupid blackout rules are - and Im not even in a place where Im affected by it (except when the Marlins play the Braves and I am subject to the god-awful play calling of Chip Carey). MLB is very tone deaf to this major flaw in growing its audience.

Comment

Here’s a question for KS if the catcher used to stand, how did the position evolve into a crouch and why?
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Here’s a question for KS if the catcher used to stand, how did the position evolve into a crouch and why?
        I don't know when. Some sources mention Mickey Cochrane as the first and others mention Yogi Berra, but I haven't seen anyone with a definitive answer.

As to why, the reasons given seem to be for giving signs to the pitcher in secret and for giving the umpire a better view of the pitch in order to get strike calls.
        "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

I'm with you on 'pitch framing'. There should be no such thing. I get irritated every time I see a catcher move his glove after catching the ball...which is every pitch. Ball is a foot outside, catcher moves his glove in the zone...really? Heck, I watch 'em do it when it's in the strike zone to begin with. It's gotten worse over the last few years too.
          If I'm the ump, I'd tell the catcher that if I see the glove move from where the ball is caught, automatic ball.

Bring on ABS

Originally posted by harmon View Post
          Should there even be such a thing as pitch framing? Yes, it's a skill, but a skill at deception that often results in an incorrect call. Framing is not an exciting game event; I'd rather have the correct call made.

Comment

After reading this thread, I had the same question. Earlier this morning I found this article from the great baseball resource "The Christian Science Monitor". I honestly had not seen anything from that publication in about 30 years, my Grandma was a Christian Scientist so we received their newspaper back in the day.

"A Game of Inches" by Peter Morris takes present-day readers on a tour of baseball's origins. Here are 10 interesting glimpses into the game of the past – and how it impacts baseball as we know it today.

This has been a very interesting thread, i learned a lot about how changing to a new system would impact the game in ways I hadn't considered. I think I still lean towards a system that accurately and objectively calls balls and strikes, but it was great to see so many people provide info I hadn't considered. I think a trial in the minors is a great idea, and glad to see that is happening.
            ---------------------------------------------
            Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
              After reading this thread, I had the same question. Earlier this morning I found this article from the great baseball resource "The Christian Science Monitor". I honestly had not seen anything from that publication in about 30 years, my Grandma was a Christian Scientist so we received their newspaper back in the day.

"A Game of Inches" by Peter Morris takes present-day readers on a tour of baseball's origins. Here are 10 interesting glimpses into the game of the past – and how it impacts baseball as we know it today.

This has been a very interesting thread, i learned a lot about how changing to a new system would impact the game in ways I hadn't considered. I think I still lean towards a system that accurately and objectively calls balls and strikes, but it was great to see so many people provide info I hadn't considered. I think a trial in the minors is a great idea, and glad to see that is happening.
              The other thing that occurred to me was that if changing to an automated system drastically changes the game...that implies that the umpires are significantly deviating from what an automated system would call. Not sure on that conclusion, but i think it is right. I suppose people's thoughts on the matter depend on if they think catcher framing is a skill that is integral to the game, or a reaction/band aid to address umpires human nature to miss some calls.
              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                The other thing that occurred to me was that if changing to an automated system drastically changes the game...that implies that the umpires are significantly deviating from what an automated system would call. Not sure on that conclusion, but i think it is right. I suppose people's thoughts on the matter depend on if they think catcher framing is a skill that is integral to the game, or a reaction/band aid to address umpires human nature to miss some calls.
                Calling balls and strikes on 80-100 mph pitches moving in crazy directions is a very difficult skill for a human. The MLB umpires are incredibly good at this. However, catchers receiving the ball they way the have for the last 60-80 years is a significant aid to the umpires in making the correct calls. The framing stuff that has been introduced in the last decade is a marginal change on top of that. But take away the catcher trying to receive the pitch at all in a way that helps the umpire, and the umpire would be quite a bit worse at it.

But that's not really my point about how it would change the game. I don't think ABS would drastically change the strike zone. It would drastically change the offensive nature of the catcher position, and it would significantly change the look and feel of the game, way more than something like the shift has changed the game, just because of how it would impact the pitcher-catcher-umpire dynamic that's at the heart of how we are used to watching every pitch on TV. When the catcher is not trying to "frame" a pitch, i.e., he's not receiving it in a quiet and still fashion, it is very distracting to watch. Catchers lunging and gloves moving all over the place on every pitch is not aesthetically pleasing, but that's where we're headed if we go full ABS and the catcher doesn't have to care about how all the extra movement would mess up the umpire's ability to call strikes.
                "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Not to change the subject too much, but apparently Jacob deGrom would agree with those of you who had Angel Hernandez as your rule change.

Comment

Originally posted by SlideRule View Post
                    Not to change the subject too much, but apparently Jacob deGrom would agree with those of you who had Angel Hernandez as your rule change.
                    Full blown ABS will get rid of all the Angel Hernandezs out there
                    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Full blown ABS will get rid of all the Angel Hernandezs out there
                      I'm sure he'll still find a way to be a disaster.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                        Calling balls and strikes on 80-100 mph pitches moving in crazy directions is a very difficult skill for a human. The MLB umpires are incredibly good at this. However, catchers receiving the ball they way the have for the last 60-80 years is a significant aid to the umpires in making the correct calls. The framing stuff that has been introduced in the last decade is a marginal change on top of that. But take away the catcher trying to receive the pitch at all in a way that helps the umpire, and the umpire would be quite a bit worse at it.

But that's not really my point about how it would change the game. I don't think ABS would drastically change the strike zone. It would drastically change the offensive nature of the catcher position, and it would significantly change the look and feel of the game, way more than something like the shift has changed the game, just because of how it would impact the pitcher-catcher-umpire dynamic that's at the heart of how we are used to watching every pitch on TV. When the catcher is not trying to "frame" a pitch, i.e., he's not receiving it in a quiet and still fashion, it is very distracting to watch. Catchers lunging and gloves moving all over the place on every pitch is not aesthetically pleasing, but that's where we're headed if we go full ABS and the catcher doesn't have to care about how all the extra movement would mess up the umpire's ability to call strikes.
                        I appreciate you taking the time to explain all this. Much more than I ever considered regarding an automated system.
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

It seems we value different things about baseball. I'm not at all concerned about pretty much anything that seems to concern you regarding the changes full ABS would usher in. I feel that getting it right, calling balls/strikes as accurately as they can be called using the technology at our disposal, is more important than the aesthetics, the job security, the evolution (change) to the catching position or Umpire Ego.

If it's frustrating for me (a fan) to watch umpires miss calls (especially at crucial moments) It has to be infuriating for players who spend their lives learning how to #1 throw a pitch for a strike, then do only for it to be called a ball and #2 have pitches called incorrectly while in the batter box. I understand that this is hard for Umps. but we now have the tech to get it right. My belief is we should use that tech. I understand your reasoning for not wanting full implementation of ABS--I can indeed see your points. I just don't value them as much as you do. I hope that's OK.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

It seems we value different things about baseball. I'm not at all concerned about pretty much anything that seems to concern you regarding the changes full ABS would usher in. I feel that getting it right, calling balls/strikes as accurately as they can be called using the technology at our disposal, is more important than the aesthetics, the job security, the evolution (change) to the catching position or Umpire Ego.

If it's frustrating for me (a fan) to watch umpires miss calls (especially at crucial moments) It has to be infuriating for players who spend their lives learning how to #1 throw a pitch for a strike, then do only for it to be called a ball and #2 have pitches called incorrectly while in the batter box. I understand that this is hard for Umps. but we now have the tech to get it right. My belief is we should use that tech. I understand your reasoning for not wanting full implementation of ABS--I can indeed see your points. I just don't value them as much as you do. I hope that's OK.
                            I haven't said that I don't value the things you value about full ABS. But I have to be very careful about how I talk about any of that. Employees of MLB are forbidden and can be disciplined for criticizing umpires publicly, which is a rule I understand the reasons for and intend to respect. On that note, this will be my last post in this thread.

Comment

I haven't said that I don't value the things you value about full ABS. But I have to be very careful about how I talk about any of that. Employees of MLB are forbidden and can be disciplined for criticizing umpires publicly, which is a rule I understand the reasons for and intend to respect. On that note, this will be my last post in this thread.
                              I understand and thanks for what you have contributed.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I understand and thanks for what you have contributed.
                                Same for me. You provided a very interesting perspective.
                                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                                X