Greatest Living American?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest Living American?

I couldn't sleep last night, and for some reason, possibly related to Queen Elizabeth II passing, I was thinking about who could be regarded as the greatest living American. It surprised me that there wasn't an obvious answer or even obvious candidates for me.

I'm not sure exactly what I mean by greatest. I don't mean most famous or most powerful, but probably some element of fame is involved, or we wouldn't all know who they are. There might be a granny in Hoboken who has actually done the most to love and serve and help other people, spread joy throughout her community, encouraged countless people on to grow and become better, and is the best example of a life well-lived, but we won't know who she is.

I was trying to think of what public figure I respect and would want my kids to emulate. That's tough. Among politicians, Jimmy Carter probably comes close. But if he's the greatest living American, it's for what he did after his presidency.

I couldn't think of a nationally-known religious or spiritual leader that I admire, which is sad. Maybe Beth Moore, but I suspect I may know of her more than others because she is local to Houston.

I couldn't think of a national business leader that I admire either. So many of the richest and most powerful ones are awful people--Jeff Bezos, Elon Musk, etc. Bill Gates has some qualities that are admirable, but other qualities not so much. The Butt family that runs the Texas HEB grocery chain, which I believe is the nation's largest grocer, is a family that I really admire, both for how they run their business and how they contribute to the community.

Sports and entertainment figures don't really come to mind, either. Perhaps Hank Aaron would have been such an example, but sadly he is no longer with us. No military leader comes to mind.

Authors, poets, artists could be candidates...no one is jumping out to me. Scientists, doctors..?

What says the Pen? Any good candidates?
    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Buzz Aldrin immediately came to mind.

I would have said Colin Powell if you asked this one year ago.

I feel like military service is sort of essential to the role. Without it I would think Bill Gates or Warren Buffet. Maybe Oprah Winfrey.

Comment

USA = big bag of dicks.
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
        Buzz Aldrin immediately came to mind.

I would have said Colin Powell if you asked this one year ago.

I feel like military service is sort of essential to the role. Without it I would think Bill Gates or Warren Buffet. Maybe Oprah Winfrey.
        Colin Powell who helped us launch a war against Iraq based on lies. A war that killed hundreds of thousands of people. I disagree.
        ---------------------------------------------
        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
          Colin Powell who helped us launch a war against Iraq based on lies. A war that killed hundreds of thousands of people. I disagree.
          Powell was forced by Cheney to be the face of that, but OK fair enough to disagree.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
            I couldn't sleep last night, and for some reason, possibly related to Queen Elizabeth II passing, I was thinking about who could be regarded as the greatest living American. It surprised me that there wasn't an obvious answer or even obvious candidates for me.

I'm not sure exactly what I mean by greatest. I don't mean most famous or most powerful, but probably some element of fame is involved, or we wouldn't all know who they are. There might be a granny in Hoboken who has actually done the most to love and serve and help other people, spread joy throughout her community, encouraged countless people on to grow and become better, and is the best example of a life well-lived, but we won't know who she is.

I was trying to think of what public figure I respect and would want my kids to emulate. That's tough. Among politicians, Jimmy Carter probably comes close. But if he's the greatest living American, it's for what he did after his presidency.

I couldn't think of a nationally-known religious or spiritual leader that I admire, which is sad. Maybe Beth Moore, but I suspect I may know of her more than others because she is local to Houston.

I couldn't think of a national business leader that I admire either. So many of the richest and most powerful ones are awful people--Jeff Bezos, Elon Musk, etc. Bill Gates has some qualities that are admirable, but other qualities not so much. The Butt family that runs the Texas HEB grocery chain, which I believe is the nation's largest grocer, is a family that I really admire, both for how they run their business and how they contribute to the community.

Sports and entertainment figures don't really come to mind, either. Perhaps Hank Aaron would have been such an example, but sadly he is no longer with us. No military leader comes to mind.

Authors, poets, artists could be candidates...no one is jumping out to me. Scientists, doctors..?

What says the Pen? Any good candidates?
            Good question that would take some thought. Our culture values celebrity, wealth, power, military service...things that I don't think are important. For me it would be someone who fights for justice and the powerless, or makes a tremendous contribution in science/technology that helps many people. No one comes to mind as standing out.
            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Good question that would take some thought. Our culture values celebrity, wealth, power, military service...things that I don't think are important. For me it would be someone who fights for justice and the powerless, or makes a tremendous contribution in science/technology that helps many people. No one comes to mind as standing out.
              In today's society no matter the person or their accomplishments there would be half of the country who'd work to diminish said accomplishments and denigrate that person.

Plus, once an individual starts to actually achieve justice and/or empowers the suppressed--they're killed.

So I'm right there with ya in not having someone to hold up as 'greatest'

If I had to, I'd say Jimmy Carter.
              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I didn't think this was very helpful, lol

America is home to more than 100 people. These are the 64 greatest
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

https://www.sbnation.com/a/greatest-americans-2016
                  actually the first person I thought of was Gangsta Boo, but im like, "nah, Feral Slasher will jump all over me for that."

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                    actually the first person I thought of was Gangsta Boo, but im like, "nah, Feral Slasher will jump all over me for that."
                    lol...
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

https://www.sbnation.com/a/greatest-americans-2016
                      There are actually a handful of good names in that list, surprisingly.

Dolly Parton, Melinda Gates, Simone Biles, Serena Williams
                      "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                        There are actually a handful of good names in that list, surprisingly.

Dolly Parton, Melinda Gates, Simone Biles, Serena Williams
                        I was reading thru a twitter thread and someone mentioned Dolly Parton has an outstanding reading program. did not know that.
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                          In today's society no matter the person or their accomplishments there would be half of the country who'd work to diminish said accomplishments and denigrate that person.
                          I'm pretty sure that a lot of people in England disliked Queen Elizabeth II for one reason or another.
                          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Barack Obama? Bernie Sanders?

Lin Manuel Miranda?

Most of the great civil rights leaders have passed. Most recently John Lewis. Are any of them still living?

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                              I'm pretty sure that a lot of people in England disliked Queen Elizabeth II for one reason or another.
                              maybe something to do with rejecting the idea of a monarchy and the associated wealth and privilege in the 21st century ?
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                              X