I'm moving to New York

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm moving to New York

Been in Austin since 1993 but have a career opportunity that I can't pass up.

Plan is to move next summer and live somewhere in New York City for a year while we scout out a place to live upstate. I have to be somewhere between NYC and Poughkeepsie.

Any tips from the locals?

Originally posted by Jefe View Post

Plan is to move next summer and live somewhere in New York City for a year while we scout out a place to live upstate. I have to be somewhere between NYC and Poughkeepsie.

Just curious because you previously shared some of your own music with us, is it a music career opportunity or a day job career opportunity?
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Poughkeepsie is really far from NYC, like 2-3 hours depending on traffic. So if you're going to need to be in Poughkeepsie often, living in NYC will be a bear.

If you're going to constantly need to be upstate, I would rule out Brooklyn, Queens & Staten Island from NYC. Maybe the Upper East or West sides, but rents are crazy high and if you have a car, fuggedaboutit (you're going to have to learn to say that).

Maybe New Rochelle or White Plains if you want a city-like atmosphere?

Comment

I hope the move provides many blessings for you and yours on this new adventure.

Don't forget to drop in and give us updates.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
          I

I hope the move provides many blessings for you and yours on this new adventure.

Don't forget to drop in and give us updates.
          I can almost hear the sentimental tone with that stutter at the start of your post.

Comment

Wow...good luck!

Agree with revo on location - added benefit is if you have to travel for work, those locations give you really good access to Westchester County Airport (White Plains) instead of having to fly out of the three catastrophes in the NYC area.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
              Just curious because you previously shared some of your own music with us, is it a music career opportunity or a day job career opportunity?
              Day job, for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                Poughkeepsie is really far from NYC, like 2-3 hours depending on traffic. So if you're going to need to be in Poughkeepsie often, living in NYC will be a bear.

If you're going to constantly need to be upstate, I would rule out Brooklyn, Queens & Staten Island from NYC. Maybe the Upper East or West sides, but rents are crazy high and if you have a car, fuggedaboutit (you're going to have to learn to say that).

Maybe New Rochelle or White Plains if you want a city-like atmosphere?
                Thanks Revo, was hoping you'd chime in. I think my presence in POK is likely to be once a week at the most. My predecessor lives in Beacon. And yeah, upper east and west seem likely to be too expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                  Wow...good luck!

Agree with revo on location - added benefit is if you have to travel for work, those locations give you really good access to Westchester County Airport (White Plains) instead of having to fly out of the three catastrophes in the NYC area.
                  Yeah I've flown into White Plains a few times. I work at IBM and Armonk is where the main HQ is. The lack of direct flights and the spotty winter service make it less of a sure thing but it sure beats fighting the traffic to get to JFK.

Comment

Thanks Revo, was hoping you'd chime in. I think my presence in POK is likely to be once a week at the most. My predecessor lives in Beacon. And yeah, upper east and west seem likely to be too expensive.
                    Yeah, like $3,500+ rent for a 1 bedroom, if you're lucky.

I don't know Westchester or Rockland all that well, but I have friends that live up that way (Mamaroneck, Pleasantville, Cornwall, Rhinebeck) who possibly could make some recommendations. There's a ton of traffic in Westchester rush hours, so you probably want to be north of Armonk rather than south of it.

If you need to be in Armonk most of the time, you should also check out Connecticut, because Armonk is right on the border.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                      If you need to be in Armonk most of the time, you should also check out Connecticut, because Armonk is right on the border.
                      And Connecticut has lower state taxes.
                      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                      X