• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AL Only for 2023

5x5 AL only 12 team

Who do you prefer for 2023?

Montas $26 year two (option in 2024)
    Romano $12 option year

I have Romano. He’s excellent, but I’ve been unable to acquire any starting pitching. Would you flip?

I stick with Romano. At $12 he undervalued. Montas at $26 is overvalued.

Comment

Originally posted by pitbull View Post
      I stick with Romano. At $12 he undervalued. Montas at $26 is overvalued.
      I'm not sure. Closers make terrible keepers.

$26 is high, but we're talking about a deep league, 12 team AL Only means the prices should be high due to replacement value, and if here's any inflation I'm not sure $26 is out of reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
        I'm not sure. Closers make terrible keepers.

$26 is high, but we're talking about a deep league, 12 team AL Only means the prices should be high due to replacement value, and if here's any inflation I'm not sure $26 is out of reason.
        I admit that I did debate this in my mind. I don't know what pitcher will be kept next season both closer and starters. You are right in that closers tend to be volatile.

Comment

I'm not sure. Closers who aren't cheap make terrible keepers.
          Fixed. For a buck or 3, I will take a flier on any speculative closer if I have space. As noted there is value in a $12 Romano. I don't see the Jays going in a different direction next year so I think I'd keep Romano and grab a couple speculative guys at auction.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
          Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
          Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
            Fixed. For a buck or 3, I will take a flier on any speculative closer if I have space. As noted there is value in a $12 Romano. I don't see the Jays going in a different direction next year so I think I'd keep Romano and grab a couple speculative guys at auction.
            Your "fix" broke my true statement.

Cheap closers can be even worse and more volatile. They aren't good keepers.

Now could they be your last keeper if you have a number of other solid keepers, sure. But they aren't something we should be targetting for a keeper.

Comment

Just gonna jump in and say how massively helpful yet underappreciated my $1 Ryan Helsley and $1 Devin Williams will be next year

I think you spec on these guys before they are closers for the exact reason to be able to keep them for cheap. A $12 Romano doesnt fit the conversation, but had to add this.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                Just gonna jump in and say how massively helpful yet underappreciated my $1 Ryan Helsley and $1 Devin Williams will be next year

I think you spec on these guys before they are closers for the exact reason to be able to keep them for cheap. A $12 Romano doesnt fit the conversation, but had to add this.
                I'd say the opposite - A $1 Helsley is exactly why you dont keep closers. Just get the next Helsley for cheap instead. (OK fine maybe Helsley as your 10th keeper is okay)

I got Bard in the reserve rounds of a deep league. Why spend valuable resources on these guys when you dont need to (and when you do, they lose their jobs).

Comment

I'd say the opposite - A $1 Helsley is exactly why you dont keep closers. Just get the next Helsley for cheap instead. (OK fine maybe Helsley as your 10th keeper is okay)

I got Bard in the reserve rounds of a deep league. Why spend valuable resources on these guys when you dont need to (and when you do, they lose their jobs).
                  I tend to value the ratios and generally build my staff around RP more than you do, in my limited experience. My hope is to prevent myself from having to settle for the Colorado closer, even if he was good this season.

Also, a lot of people prefer closers being cheap and expendable and as waiver adds (in agreement with Ken), so I like to swim the other direction a tad and let people battle it out for closer bidding at the draft with two high end guys off the table already. Not to the extreme, but two for $2 when they would be drafted for anywhere from 25-35 with inflation sounds good to me.

That said, I still go and pick up spec closers anyway and repeat the cycle again

Sorry about the left turn Sharky!!

Comment

Ha! All good with the left turn.

Tough call here. We only keep seven; I’ve been able to get closers in general but starting pitching in our AL league is really hard to come by. Today another owner asked for $18 Teoscar Hernandez (final year 2023), Ty France $25, and Andrea Munoz $3 for Triston McKenzie $16. That’s the only other route I’ve had. Welcome your thoughts there too. Seemed too rich for me.

Comment

Bump. Given this context, do you like the McKenzie deal or pass?

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
                        Ha! All good with the left turn.

Tough call here. We only keep seven; I’ve been able to get closers in general but starting pitching in our AL league is really hard to come by. Today another owner asked for $18 Teoscar Hernandez (final year 2023), Ty France $25, and Andrea Munoz $3 for Triston McKenzie $16. That’s the only other route I’ve had. Welcome your thoughts there too. Seemed too rich for me.
                        I would rather have Teoscar at 18 than McKenzie at 16. Don't like the offer.
                        ---------------------------------------------
                        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                        ---------------------------------------------
                        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Thanks! Will see if I can find another target that doesn’t require giving up Teoscar.

Comment

Working...
                          X