Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the worst trade of the last 20 years?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the worst trade of the last 20 years?

I know we've spoken about Glasnow, Meadows & Baz for Archer, but with Glasnow and Baz hurt (and hurt often), and Meadows traded away, I'm going with:

Dylan Cease & Eloy Jimenez for Jose Quintana

The Dodgers may have something to say about it, though:
    Yordan Alvarez for Josh Fields
    Oneil Cruz for Tony Watson

Two studs for two completely inconsequential players who did nothing for them.

Originally posted by revo View Post
    I know we've spoken about Glasnow, Meadows & Baz for Archer, but with Glasnow and Baz hurt (and hurt often), and Meadows traded away, I'm going with:

Dylan Cease & Eloy Jimenez for Jose Quintana

The Dodgers may have something to say about it, though:
    Yordan Alvarez for Josh Fields
    Oneil Cruz for Tony Watson

Two studs for two completely inconsequential players who did nothing for them.
    James Shields for Tatis Jr?
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
      James Shields for Tatis Jr?
      That's pretty brutal. And it will obviously look a lot worse in the next couple of years.

The Padres didn't get a worthy return for Trea Turner, but at least they got Wil Myers.

Comment

These are all contenders. Another is when the Pirates gave Jose Bautista away in 2008 before he exploded to stardom for Robinzon Diaz. His fade may lead some to forget how great Bautista was after that deal--he hit 97 hrs in 2009 and 2010, leading the league in hrs each of those years. He continued to have a great run with the Jays for several years, all for the cost of a guy who was out of baseball by the end of 2009.

Comment

And 20 years puts us in the window for the infamous Bartolo Colon for prospects deal. It didn't see so bad that that time, but those prospects included Cliff Lee, Brandon Phillips, and Grady Sizemore. It turned out to be an even deal on total weight, but not total talent.

Comment

Shelby Miller for Ender Inciarte & Dansby Swanson

Scott Feldman for Jake Arrieta & Pedro Strop

Two Cub Doozies:
            Ian Stewart for DJ LeMahieu
            Rich Harden for Josh Donaldson

Jeff Samardzjia for Marcus Semien, Chris Bassitt & Josh Phegley

Jeff Stevens for Brandon Phillips

Lewis Brinson, Isan Diaz, Jordan Yamamoto & Monte Harrison for Christian Yelich
            What a great way to decimate your franchise -- trade away a future MVP for four prospects who fail miserably

Comment

I will counter your yelich trade with Marcel Ozuna for Sandy Alcantara, Zac Gallen, Daniel Castano, Magnueris Sierra. Sometimes they do work out.

Marlins of course later traded Gallen for Jazz.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                These are all contenders. Another is when the Pirates gave Jose Bautista away in 2008 before he exploded to stardom for Robinzon Diaz. His fade may lead some to forget how great Bautista was after that deal--he hit 97 hrs in 2009 and 2010, leading the league in hrs each of those years. He continued to have a great run with the Jays for several years, all for the cost of a guy who was out of baseball by the end of 2009.
                Just when i think the Pirates are out. Sour Masher pulls them back in.
                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Avila trades:

Verlander for Franklin Perez, Daz Cameron and Jake Rogers.

JD Martinez for Dawel Lugo, Sergio Alcantara, and Jose King.

Castellanos for Paul Richan and Alex Lange.

Comment

Originally posted by pitbull View Post
                    Avila trades:

Verlander for Franklin Perez, Daz Cameron and Jake Rogers.

JD Martinez for Dawel Lugo, Sergio Alcantara, and Jose King.

Castellanos for Paul Richan and Alex Lange.
                    Any one of those crimes is enough to haunt a man. Having all three on your resume--that is Thomas Midgley level stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                      Any one of those crimes is enough to haunt a man. Having all three on your resume--that is Thomas Midgley level stuff.
                      Some Tigers fans would argue Avila was trading to get contracts or expiring contracts to prepare for a rebuild. While that does make some sense, Avila overall job performance are poor. His FA signings, trades and development have fallen short.

Comment

Working...
                      X