No announcement yet.

Rules problem, what would you do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The tricky thing is that you don't know how this will be resolved and if you will want to stay. I suppose it is too late to pivot and try to make the money this year, in case it is your last?

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
      The tricky thing is that you don't know how this will be resolved and if you will want to stay. I suppose it is too late to pivot and try to make the money this year, in case it is your last?
      If it was me, and i saw potential in the league, I'd just want to have some confidence that the rules as written will be applied. If not, I wouldn't care much about this year, I'd just bail.

To respond to Gregg, I would not wait until the offseason to get assurance about how the league will be run (make up rules as you go vs. follow the rules as written). I think it is a fundamental question about the league that should be able to be addressed right now. If they tell Ken they will decide about following the rules sometime in the off-season...he can decide what to do, but I would be out.
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
        If it was me, and i saw potential in the league, I'd just want to have some confidence that the rules as written will be applied. If not, I wouldn't care much about this year, I'd just bail.

To respond to Gregg, I would not wait until the offseason to get assurance about how the league will be run (make up rules as you go vs. follow the rules as written). I think it is a fundamental question about the league that should be able to be addressed right now. If they tell Ken they will decide about following the rules sometime in the off-season...he can decide what to do, but I would be out.
        What rules would everyone agree to being ignored in any league they play in? I can't believe anyone thinks it is ok for the commish to just ignore clear league rules
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

What rules would everyone agree to being ignored in any league they play in? I can't believe anyone thinks it is ok for the commish to just ignore clear league rules
          I'm fine with the roto rules being ignored. It says AVG but the commish really meant OBP so he can change it later.

(sarcasm)

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
            I'm fine with the roto rules being ignored. It says AVG but the commish really meant OBP so he can change it later.

(sarcasm)
            maybe just ask which rules are really rules, and which ones are subject to the commish changing his mind. And then schedule a meeting for three years from now to lock it down and get confirmation.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Why the ones that favor me of course.

The reason our Constitution reads like a legal document is over the years we had to patch up gray areas where people gamed the intent or found loop holes that needed to be patched. All in the off season.

I am not defending the decision is Ken's case. I am suggesting that if he is having fun and can live with it until the off season he should. If he can't then take a stand give the ultimatum and quit if they do not comply.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                Why the ones that favor me of course.

The reason our Constitution reads like a legal document is over the years we had to patch up gray areas where people gamed the intent or found loop holes that needed to be patched. All in the off season.

I am not defending the decision is Ken's case. I am suggesting that if he is having fun and can live with it until the off season he should. If he can't then take a stand give the ultimatum and quit if they do not comply.
                Fair enough. I guess I don't see this as a gray area, but it's not my decision. Hopefully Ken can get things cleared up to his satisfaction and stay in the league

EDIT: I think what gets me, and probably Ken, is that this isn't a gray area. It is a clear rule that Ken complied with and others did not. I just struggle to understand why that is acceptable. But that is Ken's problem, not mine, thankfully.
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Fair enough. I guess I don't see this as a gray area, but it's not my decision. Hopefully Ken can get things cleared up to his satisfaction and stay in the league

EDIT: I think what gets me, and probably Ken, is that this isn't a gray area. It is a clear rule that Ken complied with and others did not. I just struggle to understand why that is acceptable. But that is Ken's problem, not mine, thankfully.
                  The explanation from the commissioner on the side is another owner asked him and he told them it was okay to have minors starting.

So the problem is that he made a mistake. Every commish makes a mistake. The correct resolution is to admit your mistake and work to roll back the mistake. He's choosing to double down.

I still may call him and talk through it. The constitution also states that if there is something not covered in the constitution it will be voted on by the league. He didn't do that either which seems like strike 2. I'm going to give him a chance to fix that. If he continues and basically says throw out all the rules I make them up as I go, then I'm obviously done.

Comment

The explanation from the commissioner on the side is another owner asked him and he told them it was okay to have minors starting.

So the problem is that he made a mistake. Every commish makes a mistake. The correct resolution is to admit your mistake and work to roll back the mistake. He's choosing to double down.

I still may call him and talk through it. The constitution also states that if there is something not covered in the constitution it will be voted on by the league. He didn't do that either which seems like strike 2. I'm going to give him a chance to fix that. If he continues and basically says throw out all the rules I make them up as I go, then I'm obviously done.
                    Back to your original question...your approach is what i would do. Good luck
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I hope it works out for you. I hate stuff like this.

What do you think about being the Commish?

Comment

Here's the language from the constitution of my dynasty league covering this issue. It seems close to the written rules in your league, but more clear in its intent. Hope it helps.

Competetive Lineups - Teams must field an ACTIVE lineup of players currently in the major leagues and cannot use players who are on the Injured List in active slots or players who are in the minor leagues in your active slots.

With two scoring periods and only one FAAB it is possible that in period 2 of the week you will have someone on the IL and no bench player eligible to sub, but starting each period all teams are expected to have put an active lineup together containing players currently in the majors and on their MLB teams active roster.

Abuse of the lineups will be given warnings by the commish and continued abuse could lead to punishment from the league office including loss of FAAB, loss of draft picks, loss of draft slot, or removal from the league.
                        Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                          Here's the language from the constitution of my dynasty league covering this issue. It seems close to the written rules in your league, but more clear in its intent. Hope it helps.
                          Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think Ken is looking for suggestions for rules changes. I think his concern is about the league ignoring existing rules.
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think Ken is looking for suggestions for rules changes. I think his concern is about the league ignoring existing rules.
                            That's what I take away from this.

FWIW, I'd have the same issue with this as Ken.

Although I'm sure I wouldn't be half as civil and understanding.
                            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

If he sticks around, he's going to want a better worded constitution to address his issue clearly.

I think the language in his league constitution is unclear, and I don't think it's possible to put the toothpaste back in the tube at this point. Offseason is always the time to address rules changes.

The main point should be "is this flaunting of the rules benefitting any one team more than others?" I would answer "no, it's not." Ken is in 14th of 16 teams. Why not use the rule in your favour the rest of season, then in the offseason explain the rule change by saying that as someone who's taken advantage of this loophole yourself, you think it needs closing...

Just embrace it, use the loophole, then close it after you've schooled everyone on how to properly fuck up the league.

There's no ill intent from anyone, as the offending team asked for clarity before embarking on his style of rebuild. I think that should be worth something.
                              Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                                If he sticks around, he's going to want a better worded constitution to address his issue clearly.

I think the language in his league constitution is unclear, and I don't think it's possible to put the toothpaste back in the tube at this point. Offseason is always the time to address rules changes.

The main point should be "is this flaunting of the rules benefitting any one team more than others?" I would answer "no, it's not." Ken is in 14th of 16 teams. Why not use the rule in your favour the rest of season, then in the offseason explain the rule change by saying that as someone who's taken advantage of this loophole yourself, you think it needs closing...

Just embrace it, use the loophole, then close it after you've schooled everyone on how to properly fuck up the league.

There's no ill intent from anyone, as the offending team asked for clarity before embarking on his style of rebuild. I think that should be worth something.
                                I don't think the wording was this issue...the rule is very clear and the issue is the commish ignoring the wording.

Lineups must contain 23 active players (14 hitters, 9 pitchers), and each position must be filled by an active major league player. However, no penalty when a player(s) is benched based on matchups.
                                Stated another way, players on 25-man MLB rosters need to be in 14/9 spots. Prospects can take up bench spots.

The rule was clear and it was ignored...
                                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                                X