Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My name is GwynnIntheHall and I'm a Trade-Addict. (Long Read)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My name is GwynnIntheHall and I'm a Trade-Addict. (Long Read)

So--as most of you who are in any league with me, I am a very active owner--Constantly trying to advance my team in whichever direction I've sent it in (to contend or rebuild). Living in the middle is something I try to avoid and really despise. I literally explore trade scenarios daily and as my league mates will confirm, send offers/messages constantly. What can I say--I love the game, the challenge and have the time to do this. I'm in 5 leagues this year, 2 teams are in true rebuild, 1 should contend for the money and 1 is no trade so--Kind of GITH purgatory. It's the last team I want to talk about. Lets Play Two--an RJish Covid Dynasty joint.

18 team mixed, 23 active, 10 reserve and a 20 player minor league roster. Standard 5x5, w/BA instead of OBP Hlds+Svs. 2 catchers. Pretty solid ownership. Surprisingly active.

So the first year I took 2nd (short season 2020), the following year I took 4th and had to spend most of my trade capital to do so (I admittedly made a couple of really bad deals down the stretch). This season I was going to refrain from my trading madness, but found that my team was in that 'middle ground' I really hate. Aging just OK hitters some with real BAvg issues, pitcher heavy--Aces, but I find most owners tend to discount the value of any arm vs a bat so making incremental deals to improve proved to be difficult. I made 1 deal at the beginning of the season to try and improve my lot, but my team cratered. So I thought--Rebuild, get younger and amass draft /prospect capital that could turn my team around asap. So i went rebuild, I moved several 30+ players--as many as I could, got younger-better on offense. Picked up SBs where I was really weak. Moved top pitching in packages to help get value. I added 3 1st rd picks, with one being a potential #1-2 (which meant Suzuki or Drew Jones) and a handful of prospects I liked alot. Thing is--My team shot up in the standings and now, after trying to rebuild I sit 14 points out of the money--yes there's a lot of season to go, but my team as it was yesterday was too good to finish in the bottom 3rd and not good to finish in the top 3rd. So what started as a idea to just acquire Trevor Story, turned into a massive 18 player deal intended to get me right back into contention (hopefully or I'll cry) So since the beginning of the season I have made trades involving 30 ML players, 10 prospects and 10 picks. yes, some were the same guys being flipped, but still that has to be some kind of record for impatience/insanity/total action junkie behavior.

The NET change in my team is thus:

Offense sent: W Contreras, T Pham, A Rendon, K Bryant, E Suarez, A Engel, N Lopez and J Harrison.
    Offense added: K Ruiz, M Betts, M Straw, J Sanchez, T Story, C Correa, M Canha, M Conforto, W Myers and B De La Cruz.

I'd say my offense did indeed get younger and added quality with better Avg and SBs and now the roster looks like this:

Ca F Mejia, K Ruiz
    1b CJ Cron
    3b C Moran
    CI R Hoskins
    2b T Story
    SS W Adames
    MI C Correa
    OF Betts, JD Martinez, Straw, Sanchez, Canha, Myers, De La Cruz, E Rosario, E Olivares and Conforto next year.

Pitching sent: Rodon, Darvish, G Cole, Eovaldi, Yarbrough, C Martin and K Whitley
    Pitching added: Wainright, Eflin, Hendricks, Bard.

I gave up a TON of pitching and added older, but hopefully serviceable guys who can carry my this year until my prospects arrive next season (hopefully) the staff now looks like this:

SP. Carrasco, Wainwright, Hendricks, Taillon, Eflin, Fedde, Odorizzi and Faedo.
    RP Bard, J Lopez, L Garcia and J Cotton.

I big downgrade from those I dealt, but I'm hopeful I can mine arms from the WW and or make a couple of more trades to upgrade (knowing me I will)

I ended up trading my 2nd, 3rd and 4th rd picks in it all and prospect wise I dealt G Valera and C Beeter for Elehuris Montero, Oswald Cabrera and H Head.

So there it is-- If you're still awake and once your head stops spinning feel free to comment or just go have a drink--it's what I did.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Believe it or not, that was a fun read, doig/gith. Sure gave up a hell of a lot of top pitching.

I understand the trade bug. Our league rules make it difficult to scratch that itch but I get it.

Have fun!

Comment

Macro view, trading is fun. We are not really owners of multi billion dollar teams, but play to enrich our enjoyment of baseball, so why not trade and do not be such a stick in the mud. General truth, hyper traders lose money. Some 95% of day traders in stock market are unprofitable. Churning a trading acct generally leaves crumbs along the way, that in any single trade do not lose your shirt, but the road will be covered in crumbs that add up to the general rule, of said 95% traders lose.

You had a heck of a nice rebuild, a good chunk was from what you extracted from me. I may be off base, but think you have an uphill battle to win this sucker. The top 2 teams look kind of awesome. Look at that pitching in 2nd place team, Cole, Rodon, Gausman, Gallen, Eovoldi, Morton. How did that even happen in a league this big? Anyhoo, imo you were on a brilliant track and in 1 fell swoop gave someone a full rebuild, countless hours of your labor. If you pull off a win this year, man this would be an epic roller coaster. I am sure you have a dozen moves left, look forward to whats next.

Comment

Originally posted by gcstomp View Post
        Macro view, trading is fun. We are not really owners of multi billion dollar teams, but play to enrich our enjoyment of baseball, so why not trade and do not be such a stick in the mud. General truth, hyper traders lose money. Some 95% of day traders in stock market are unprofitable. Churning a trading acct generally leaves crumbs along the way, that in any single trade do not lose your shirt, but the road will be covered in crumbs that add up to the general rule, of said 95% traders lose.

You had a heck of a nice rebuild, a good chunk was from what you extracted from me. I may be off base, but think you have an uphill battle to win this sucker. The top 2 teams look kind of awesome. Look at that pitching in 2nd place team, Cole, Rodon, Gausman, Gallen, Eovoldi, Morton. How did that even happen in a league this big? Anyhoo, imo you were on a brilliant track and in 1 fell swoop gave someone a full rebuild, countless hours of your labor. If you pull off a win this year, man this would be an epic roller coaster. I am sure you have a dozen moves left, look forward to whats next.
        I can see how you feel that way, I was in pretty good shape to rebuild, but the plan was never to completely tear down, it was to refresh for a run in 2023, get younger overall and upgrade my offense. Every guy I added in the early deals--Betts, Straw, Ruiz, Sanchez, De la Cruz and Conforto are all younger and mostly upgrades to my offense after the draft. The latest deal brought me Story and Correa, both younger and obvious upgrades to my offense.

I guess it comes down to preference Would you prefer to have Brennan Davis, George Valera, Brailyn Marquez and the #1-2 pick in the draft (also the 17-18th picks) knowing you still have work to do to compete in 23 or Story, Correa, Canha, Bard, Wainwright, Hendricks and Eflin with a shot at the money in 2022 and definitely contending in 2023 with an easier path (work) to both? I think getting arms to support a run is far easier than offense.

PS--Yeah I helped you build a killer staff!! You're welcome!
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I'm either playing 3D Chess or solitaire with several cards missing.

So in keeping with my compete-yet improve for the future mantra I took a calculated risk--

I dealt JD Martinez and Schoop plus my 5th, for Teoscar and his 2nd. Everything I've read like Hernandez to turn things around and getting him now should allow me to benefit from that correction. Schoop was a bench guy for me (Story, Correa and Adames are my MIs) and moving up in the draft is always nice.

I love me some JD, but feel he might be one hard swing away from the IL (back) and I gain 5 years in rostering Teoscar.

I might just be insane.

Or maybe not??

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Dunno. As a Teoscar owner I hope you made the right call. Kudos to you for taking a risk. Everyone talks a good game about buying low and selling high - but few actually do it or even try. May not pay out but seems a good call to me. Good luck!!!

Comment

With the trading deadline 30 mins away, here I am trying to STILL make a deal (deals).

I'd have to say, my madness has paid of to date as I'm currently in 3rd, however it's a back n forth battle between GCStomp and I for 3rd and 4th. No real shot at 1st and a very slim shot at 2nd. There are 2 other teams who could make a late dash and bump me out of the money, but I like my chances.

Since adding Teocsar I made a few additional deals.

I picked up Winker, N Fortes (moved K Ruiz and a pick), Moncada(move E Olivares, Conforto and a minor league guy) and just flipped Correa for Scherzer last night.

My roster now looks like this:

Ca F Mejia, N Fortes
              1b CJ Cron
              3b Y Moncada
              CI R Hoskins
              2b T Story
              SS W Adames
              MI L Sosa
              OF Betts, Winker, Straw, Teoscar, E Rosario, Canha and Myers

I've also started using E Montero as my DH and have Luke Williams and Tucapita on my bench.

I ditched a lot of my Starting pitching and went high K RPs who get saves/holds and my staff looks like this:

SP. Scherzer, Carrasco, Wainwright, Taillon, Odorizzi and J Lyles. I've Eflin, Chirinos and Hendricks on the IL
              RP Bard, J Lopez, L Garcia, Effross, Mantiply, E Phillips, Rey Lopez and Minter. Treinan, T Clarke and Wisler on the IL.

It's not flashy, but it seems to keep me steady in 3rd/4th. I'm hoping Scherzer can steal me a few points in pitching and that Story returning from the IL this week can replace the offense I lose from Correa.

12 mins and no dance partners, so it looks as though I'll have to make it the rest of the season without another deal....

This league is/has been a ton of fun this year, I completely retooled my team and like it much more than my original version (or the 2nd version)

Thanks for listening and GL to you all down the stretch (to me too)

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                I'm currently in 3rd, however it's a back n foUrth battle between GCStomp and I for 3rd and 4th.
                Fixed . Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post
                  Fixed . Good luck!
                  Well Played Sir.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Sounds like fun! Good luck.

I also did several deadline deals. A league mate said he imagined me in a basement surrounded by rotary phones. Ha!

Comment

Working...
                    X