Shhh...Detmers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shhh...Detmers

Detmers w a no-no thru 6 IP. 1 BB 2 Ks. Only 64 pitches.

Intact thru 7 IP. 83 pitches.

Comment

Intact thru 8 IP. 94 pitches.

Comment

Brett Phillips on the other hand……lol

Comment

Rendon just hit a HR off Phillips left handed lmao

Comment

Still intact w 2 outs in 9th...

Comment

He did it!!! 108 pitches and only 2 Ks.

Comment

There it is…congrats!

So I have detmers in two places - started in one and benched in the other…d’oh

Comment

The only baserunners were a BB and a safe on error. And 1 runner was erased on a DP so he faced 1 over the minimum.

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post
                    He did it!!! 108 pitches and only 2 Ks.
                    Trivia question: what is the lowest K total for a no hitter? And who holds the record. Hint: it is a three way tie.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                      Trivia question: what is the lowest K total for a no hitter?
                      Considering all the different K environments baseball has been through I'm going to go with zero and feel confident in that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                        Considering all the different K environments baseball has been through I'm going to go with zero and feel confident in that one.
                        Yes, it is a three way tie at zero. The most recent one was Ken Holtzman with Chicago. The other two were from way back.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                          Yes, it is a three way tie at zero. The most recent one was Ken Holtzman with Chicago. The other two were from way back.
                          Wow, I looked it up now and there is actually potentially a 4th with a neat story behind it too (other than the decapitation by train):

In the most carefully documented of professional sports, Baseball-Reference.com is an essential deliverer of data, a credible companion to the curious and the compulsive. Its overnight updates during the Major League Baseball season ensure that player, team and standings pages accurately account for the latest avalanche of innings and outcomes.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                            Rendon just hit a HR off Phillips left handed lmao
                            I read this post last night, and I didnt react to it much, probably because the no-hitter was still pending and that was my primary focus. But I'm hearing people talking about this today and I think it is one of the wildest things I can remember in baseball. This is the only time he's batted RHed in a MLB game, altho he apparently does it sometimes during batting practice. I couldnt find out if he ever batted RHed in college or HS.

Interestingly, this is not necessarily the 1st time a non-switch-hitter has hit a HR in a MLB game from the opposite side of the plate. Arguably Ji-Man Choi did it in 2020. Choi, a LHed hitter, hit a HR RHed off of Anthony Kay in 2020, but supposedly he was playing around w becoming a switch-hitter that year before eventually giving this up. A more interesting story is that of Hal Trosky, a slugger from the 30's and 40's. Trosky came to MLB in 1933 and had originally hit RHed but he did it cross-handed, i.e., his left hand was his top hand. He became a LHed hitter at some point but in a game at Fenway Park, after seeing the Green Monster he hit RHed for that game. He hit 2 HRs that game but after the game his manager said he didnt want him hitting RHed ever again. Despite this, in 1935 he batted RHed again (presumably still batting cross-handed) against a LHed pitcher and hit a HR. How in the world can anyone have any success hitting cross handed, much less hit HRs against MLB pitchers?

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post
                              Despite this, in 1935 he batted RHed again (presumably still batting cross-handed) against a LHed pitcher and hit a HR. How in the world can anyone have any success hitting cross handed, much less hit HRs against MLB pitchers?
                              I suspect 1935 MLB pitchers don't resemble 2022 MLB pitchers in any meaningful way.

Comment

Working...
                              X