Trade offer response time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trade offer response time

How quickly do you usually respond to trade offers/discussions ? What do you expect from others ? It varies for me depending on which of my leagues, but curious to hear others input
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

24 hours both ways.

Edit: If I'm struggling to accept/reject/counter, then it very well might go past a day. But usually within the hour I'll do something.
    Knowing the trading partner is important, like some owners might leave my offers out there for week+. I usually stop sending those types offers.

Comment

Usually at least an “I’m thinking about it” within a few hours. If it’s a terrible offer, I will often just leave it out there indefinitely as a message that it’s just not worth my time to even respond.

Comment

If you're not interested, as soon as you see it.

If you're somewhat interested, a reply within a few hours that you're pondering it.

If you're planning to accept, also within a couple of hours.

If you're a total dullard and really shouldn't be playing serious fantasy baseball, more than a day.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
          If you're not interested, as soon as you see it.

If you're somewhat interested, a reply within a few hours that you're pondering it.

If you're planning to accept, also within a couple of hours.

If you're a total dullard and really shouldn't be playing serious fantasy baseball, more than a day.
          this lines up fairly closely with my thoughts. I frequently respond right away or within a few hours - I always try to always respond within 24 hours, occasionally don't. For yahoo fun league I am much more relaxed and sometimes don't even check on my league for a few days. As far as expectations I always appreciate same day response, kind of expect next day, and get a little frustrated when it goes into 3 days or more...while understanding that people have real lives and sometimes fantasy baseball isn't the top priority.
          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I respond as soon as I am able, but many in my league do not.

It is annoying to me, but most do not respond at all if they are not interested, and a few that will drag their feet even if they are. We have several guys that if/when their team sucks and selling is the obvious choice, will hold all major assets to close to the trade deadline no matter what kind of offer you make to them earlier than that. Their theory is that it will eventually raise bids and demand as those in the money are desperate to pull ahead. I think if you are in dead last place across the board with a Reds-type team, there is no hurry to dump, but there is no downside to fielding offers. In fact, I think it is wiser to make a good deal earlier rather than later, as assets can get hurt or underperform. The only exception to this is if you have a hurt or underperforming asset that you think will increase in value with time.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
              I respond as soon as I am able, but many in my league do not.

It is annoying to me, but most do not respond at all if they are not interested, and a few that will drag their feet even if they are. We have several guys that if/when their team sucks and selling is the obvious choice, will hold all major assets to close to the trade deadline no matter what kind of offer you make to them earlier than that. Their theory is that it will eventually raise bids and demand as those in the money are desperate to pull ahead. I think if you are in dead last place across the board with a Reds-type team, there is no hurry to dump, but there is no downside to fielding offers. In fact, I think it is wiser to make a good deal earlier rather than later, as assets can get hurt or underperform. The only exception to this is if you have a hurt or underperforming asset that you think will increase in value with time.
              When I am in selling mode I always sell as fast as I can. But some people do like to wait
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

On the hard ones it depends on how long it takes for you guys to give some input.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                  On the hard ones it depends on how long it takes for you guys to give some input.
                  But you could respond and let the other guy know you have seen the offer and are considering it. And negotiations take time. The original post was really about how long do you take to acknowledge a message or offer
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                    But you could respond and let the other guy know you have seen the offer and are considering it. And negotiations take time. The original post was really about how long do you take to acknowledge a message or offer
                    I guess an appropriate follow up would be--how long do you give an owner to respond after they say--I'll think about it....
                    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                      I guess an appropriate follow up would be--how long do you give an owner to respond after they say--I'll think about it....
                      Sure...but if they respond that they have seen the offer at least I know they have seen it. If they go silent after that they are probably not very interested. Which is fine. But if they never respond or take a week I personally find that much more frustrating

EDIT: there is also some level of relationships that play a part. You sent me an a small offer a week ago and I ignored it for a few days (sorry). But i think i usually respond to you pretty quickly so I assumed you knew I had some level of interest in that I didn't reject it, but I also didn't respond so I was mulling it over. And if it was an larger deal I would have responded or if you thought it was important I assumed you would have nudged me. The question is really about the level of engagement owners have in the league I suppose.
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I'm usually within a day. If goes longer than 24 hr I informed the other party as to why. Last year the Commish never responded to any of my trade offers. It sat there for over a week despite a couple of emails from me stating do you not like the trade or are you considering it or another proposal. I almost didn't come back this year. His father also in the league never responded to me. Lucky for me the rest of the owners acted in a timely manner. I think it is just rude to not respond.

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                          Sure...but if they respond that they have seen the offer at least I know they have seen it. If they go silent after that they are probably not very interested. Which is fine. But if they never respond or take a week I personally find that much more frustrating
                          I like conclusion one way or another asap--going silent is just not cool IMO. If you want a better deal--decline and look for one, don't keep the offer hanging while you shop. But then, I'm a guy who immediately responds when an offer comes my way. And of course, since I have high expectations of everyone, I get frustrated/disappointed quicker and more often than most.
                          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I like conclusion one way or another asap--going silent is just not cool IMO. If you want a better deal--decline and look for one, don't keep the offer hanging while you shop. But then, I'm a guy who immediately responds when an offer comes my way. And of course, since I have high expectations of everyone, I get frustrated/disappointed quicker and more often than most.
                            Totally agree with you - 100%.

Comment

Yeah, I understand and often feel the same way. But I try to give everyone some leeway, particularly if they usually are responsive. What frustrates me is guys that consistently just won't respond or engage in discussions.
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                              X