No announcement yet.

Terrible offers thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I think what you’re getting at here is a bit more nuanced. I’m not sure if you’re talking about me here, but it sounds like something I might have said. IMO, when we’re dealing with a salary cap, the “below” value players are worth slightly more because they allow you to fill your roster with more of them. When you have an “at value” guy, he’s definitely valuable, but he’ll take up more of your cap and not allow you to fill more holes on your roster. At least early in the season, if I am going to deal top prospects for for a run at the championship, I want to use those prospects for the below value guys. That way, later in the season, at calue guys should be aplenty and I can fit them on my roster.

It’s like my Bassitt deal in rjel. Sure, I might like Yu the same or even more from a statistical perspective, but taking on Yu right now means I gave up $20 something of my cap, whereas taking on Bassitt was $5 of my cap and I can use the remaining $15ish of my cap on someone else.

Now go and tell me that wasn’t even your question/issue….. ����

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
    Thanks for starting this thread--I'd wanted to ask a couple of questions regarding Trades in redraft leagues. I've recently encountered the phrase--he's at value--while trading in season. Now I use value/salary estimations in deciding keepers in a trade in season and of course, off season and at the auction, but I've always approached in season, going for it trades as--does the player help me toward the title and can I fit the salary under my cap (if there is a cap) over, am I getting value from the player.

Have I been doing it wrong this whole time?

I do tend to overpay when I'm trading for players who might help me into the money, but I've never encountered someone who'd turn down a top tier player when trying to make their run because they are 'at value'.

I guess we're never too old to learn something new.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrewski View Post
      So I think what you’re getting at here is a bit more nuanced. I’m not sure if you’re talking about me here, but it sounds like something I might have said. IMO, when we’re dealing with a salary cap, the “below” value players are worth slightly more because they allow you to fill your roster with more of them. When you have an “at value” guy, he’s definitely valuable, but he’ll take up more of your cap and not allow you to fill more holes on your roster. At least early in the season, if I am going to deal top prospects for for a run at the championship, I want to use those prospects for the below value guys. That way, later in the season, at calue guys should be aplenty and I can fit them on my roster.

Now go and tell me that wasn’t even your question/issue….. ����
      It's that I've never considered those things when dealing for pieces to make a run and as I asked--Have I been doing it wrong?

If you have an opportunity to roster a tier 1 player for 30 or a tier 2-3 player for 10, you're saying you'd prefer the fiscal flexibility of the later over the better performance of the former?

And BTW, my ask for any player stays the same regardless of when I trade them--If I'm helping an owner to win the league--I'm getting something I want out of that help, just as I have paid the asking price in the past for similar assistance.

Again, I may be doing it wrong, but it got me in the money twice in the past 2 years in RJ, twice in Play 2 and once (before dumping) in lockdown--Yes I've overpaid--but for me, in redraft/keepers--it's all about Flags and Cashing, though watching from the sidelines this season has been strangely relaxing :P

And yes, I was absolutely talking about your response, not because I thought it was bad, but because I'd never heard the term used before in season and wanted some clarification. See--RJ Brethren lurk everywhere
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
        It's that I've never considered those things when dealing for pieces to make a run and as I asked--Have I been doing it wrong?

If you have an opportunity to roster a tier 1 player for 30 or a tier 2-3 player for 10, you're saying you'd prefer the fiscal flexibility of the later over the better performance of the former?

And BTW, my ask for any player stays the same regardless of when I trade them--If I'm helping an owner to win the league--I'm getting something I want out of that help, just as I have paid the asking price in the past for similar assistance.

Again, I may be doing it wrong, but it got me in the money twice in the past 2 years in RJ, twice in Play 2 and once (before dumping) in lockdown--Yes I've overpaid--but for me, in redraft/keepers--it's all about Flags and Cashing, though watching from the sidelines this season has been strangely relaxing :P

And yes, I was absolutely talking about your response, not because I thought it was bad, but because I'd never heard the term used before in season and wanted some clarification. See--RJ Brethren lurk everywhere
        I don’t think you’re doing it wrong, just like I’m sure I’m not necessarily doing it right. But yes, if I am trying to fill in a puzzle (i.e. the salary cap) and I can fill in two roster spots with a below value $10 guy and an at value $21 guy, I’d prefer to do that over a $30 at value guy and a $1 crap player. If you’re referring to Yu and Bassitt as a tier one and a tier two/three, respectively, I disagree on their relative values, but that’s only my opinion.

Also have to consider the fact that we have limited assets to use to acquire players. Generally speaking (and there are exceptions to this of course), I’d rather use my assets to acquire below cost guys since there are always fewer below cost players and therefore more competition for them. There are plenty of at cost guys, I believe, so while I’m willing to pay some for those fellas, I’d rather use my bullets where I see value.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrewski View Post
          I don’t think you’re doing it wrong, just like I’m sure I’m not necessarily doing it right. But yes, if I am trying to fill in a puzzle (i.e. the salary cap) and I can fill in two roster spots with a below value $10 guy and an at value $21 guy, I’d prefer to do that over a $30 at value guy and a $1 crap player. If you’re referring to Yu and Bassitt as a tier one and a tier two/three, respectively, I disagree on their relative values, but that’s only my opinion.

Also have to consider the fact that we have limited assets to use to acquire players. Generally speaking (and there are exceptions to this of course), I’d rather use my assets to acquire below cost guys since there are always fewer below cost players and therefore more competition for them. There are plenty of at cost guys, I believe, so while I’m willing to pay some for those fellas, I’d rather use my bullets where I see value.
          Plus some teams may need more help than others allowing those with better starting rosters to pay for the 30 buck guy easier.
          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I'm dumping in a 5x5 OBP league, and I just received this one:

I give Bryce Harper at $53, first year.

I get Dustin May at $11 (expiring next year) and Kirby Yates at $1, first year.

The note said that I would be getting a year and a half from May and that Yates will be the Braves closer next year when Jansen leaves. The Braves are going to give the closer spot to what will be a 36 year old Yates who still hasn't come back from his TJ yet?

I thought that one was pretty awful.

Comment

Originally posted by umjewman View Post

The note said that I would be getting a year and a half from May and that Yates will be the Braves closer next year when Jansen leaves. The Braves are going to give the closer spot to what will be a 36 year old Yates who still hasn't come back from his TJ yet?

What if he throws in two elbows with the deal?
              More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                What if he throws in two elbows with the deal?
                What is the percent chance that Yates is actually the Braves closer next year? It has to be lower than 2% doesn't it?

Comment

What is the percent chance that Yates is actually the Braves closer next year? It has to be lower than 2% doesn't it?
                  1.71%

Comment

Clearly, he is merely the wingman for the real offer to come. The strategy is to make you such an atrocious offer that the next one by his pal won't seem so bad by comparison.

Comment

That's turrible. This guy craftily included two players who won't help him a single iota this season in return for a Top 10 player. And I love offers that attach handy explanations telling you why you should do it, as if you're a noob.

Comment

In my 16tm redraft I was just offered Joe Barlow for Julio Rodriguez. This team has 5 closers (of course he's in the cellar) and also has Hader, and asked for steals in his OTB. So not only was it bad, but he tried to chintz me and didn't even offer his best closer. I initially offered Mateo for Scott Barlow or even the crummy Mark Melancon.

Comment

Updated my "on the block" to try and trade my prospects for stars and got back two offers:

Offer 1:

I give: Julio Rodriguez $5 (minors contract), Nolan Gorman $5 (minors contract), Sixto Sanchez $5 (minors), and 1st round minors pick 2023
                          I get: Jose Abreu $23 (1 yr left), Jose Berrios $24 (2 yrs left), 3rd round minors pick 2023

Offer 2:

I give: Nolan Gorman $5 (minors), Daniel Bard $1 (2 yrs left), and Nestor Cortes $1 (2 yrs left)
                          I get: Aroldis Chapman $22 (expiring), Brandon Woodruff $15 (expiring), Brian Reynolds $22 (2 yrs left)
                          More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Offer 2 looks like a sell high buy low for you, not saying I'd take it but is it a terrible offer? Would you have accepted it pre-season?

Comment

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                              Updated my "on the block" to try and trade my prospects for stars and got back two offers:

Offer 1:

I give: Julio Rodriguez $5 (minors contract), Nolan Gorman $5 (minors contract), Sixto Sanchez $5 (minors), and 1st round minors pick 2023
                              I get: Jose Abreu $23 (1 yr left), Jose Berrios $24 (2 yrs left), 3rd round minors pick 2023

Offer 2:

I give: Nolan Gorman $5 (minors), Daniel Bard $1 (2 yrs left), and Nestor Cortes $1 (2 yrs left)
                              I get: Aroldis Chapman $22 (expiring), Brandon Woodruff $15 (expiring), Brian Reynolds $22 (2 yrs left)
                              Yuck. Offer 1, JRod is doing better than Abreu and Berrios has not been great. Both could bounce back sure, but if the going rate is a stud and two solid players for a stud futures prospect, well, both these guys are contributing now.

Offer 2, Bard has been better than Chapman, who's also now dealing with an achilles issue. Not yucky terrible, but not great. Reynolds has also been crap.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                                Reynolds has also been crap.
                                I thought you were a big "buy low" guy.

Comment

Working...
                                X