Terrible offers thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    I'm usually just happy to see an offer...or a response to my offer. Low expectations
    I am too and I respond as such thanking them for the offer. That's not the topic here. I wasn't complaining back to the person who sent it as much as surprised that someone would think that it would work.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
      I am too and I respond as such thanking them for the offer. That's not the topic here. I wasn't complaining back to the person who sent it as much as surprised that someone would think that it would work.
      Oh...apparently i have drifted off topic.
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Redraft?

Maybe they mean that the price they paid for the player (draft round, auction price) is still where they see the underlying skills so they want to get back that same value. i.e. if I'm trading away Kyle Tucker I'm trading him very close to his original value that I bought him pre-season, I'd want a "first round" return. I'm not giving you a discount for me eating his bad luck streak if the skills still look solid.

That's the only thing I can think of that would equate to "at value" in a redraft setting.
        I may not have worded this correctly--Why should a players salary matter if you're acquiring him for a Flag Run? It's not the performance that's in question, it's the idea that an at value player with tier 1 skills is less valuable than an under priced tier 2-3 guy-in a trade-again--I may not be phrasing this correctly and I don't want to mention specifics. Too many leagues with too many RJ brethren yaknow?

I guess the question is--If you're trading a 30 buck player to a contender (you're rebuilding) on an A contract, what tier prospect and/or pick should you fairly ask for in return? I never really look at that--If I think that 30 buck player can help me win, I have no issues parting with even top 20 prospects or high picks because I'm going for the win. So I have to ask again--Am I doing it wrong? i.e. Giving too much when I'm going for it and asking to much when I'm rebuilding.
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
          I may not have worded this correctly--Why should a players salary matter if you're acquiring him for a Flag Run? It's not the performance that's in question, it's the idea that an at value player with tier 1 skills is less valuable than an under priced tier 2-3 guy-in a trade-again--I may not be phrasing this correctly and I don't want to mention specifics. Too many leagues with too many RJ brethren yaknow?

I guess the question is--If you're trading a 30 buck player to a contender (you're rebuilding) on an A contract, what tier prospect and/or pick should you fairly ask for in return? I never really look at that--If I think that 30 buck player can help me win, I have no issues parting with even top 20 prospects or high picks because I'm going for the win. So I have to ask again--Am I doing it wrong? i.e. Giving too much when I'm going for it and asking to much when I'm rebuilding.
          What is an "A contract" (or even what is a contract) in a redraft league?

It sounds like you really mean a keeper league that you are treating like a redraft league because you want to win this year (which to be fair is the right approach).

Comment

Oh...apparently i have drifted off topic.
            off topic is more fun anyway

Comment

Correct--I sometimes conflate/confuse redraft and Keeper--it's a keeper league.
              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Correct--I sometimes conflate/confuse redraft and Keeper--it's a keeper league.
                No worries, question makes sense now.

I think the simple answer here is that many in keeper leagues are more focused on the future than now. Even when they are "going for it" this year, they still want to consider next year too. So if they are trading for a player they want to have them to use for this year (non-prospect) and future years.

So an "at value" player is going to be one you expect to keep and use again in a future year.

If you are trading FOR that player, and giving up something that really only has value this year, expect to overpay or add additional assets, since future value is nil.

Comment

No worries, question makes sense now.

I think the simple answer here is that many in keeper leagues are more focused on the future than now. Even when they are "going for it" this year, they still want to consider next year too. So if they are trading for a player they want to have them to use for this year (non-prospect) and future years.

So an "at value" player is going to be one you expect to keep and use again in a future year.

If you are trading FOR that player, and giving up something that really only has value this year, expect to overpay or add additional assets, since future value is nil.
                  Got it, thanks.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Your question was actually more complex than I answered -- "what tier prospect and/or pick should you fairly ask for in return"

Unfortunately from my experience that varies league to league. I tend to look at trade history to try to see the values. I know a good keeper league trade when I see it, I know a bad one when I see it. In the middle... eh.

Comment

I traded for DL Hall in a dynasty league last week and gave away a 3rd round FYPD pick. For me personally in this league, I don't see much value in FYPD picks past the 2nd round. Especially in this league where you only lose players if you drop them. So the value of a 3rd round pick is how much more valuable that player will be than the 3rd worst player I drop this offseason. The likely answer is not much.

DL Hall may or may not be good, there's some reliever risk. But for no cost, sure.

That one was offered to me, and to me fits somewhere in the middle. I didn't give up anything significant, but I didn't get a ton either.

Comment

Your question was actually more complex than I answered -- "what tier prospect and/or pick should you fairly ask for in return"

Unfortunately from my experience that varies league to league. I tend to look at trade history to try to see the values. I know a good keeper league trade when I see it, I know a bad one when I see it. In the middle... eh.
                        Is it reasonable, when competition for the money is tight, to believe you can extract a little more due to that competition? I'm not talking unfairly, but push that ask envelope a bit more?

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I traded for DL Hall in a dynasty league last week and gave away a 3rd round FYPD pick. For me personally in this league, I don't see much value in FYPD picks past the 2nd round. Especially in this league where you only lose players if you drop them. So the value of a 3rd round pick is how much more valuable that player will be than the 3rd worst player I drop this offseason. The likely answer is not much.

DL Hall may or may not be good, there's some reliever risk. But for no cost, sure.

That one was offered to me, and to me fits somewhere in the middle. I didn't give up anything significant, but I didn't get a ton either.
                          Agreed, as I learn about Dynasty on the fly--I'm realizing that (as you've said) picks past the 2nd rd aren't worth much if anything and prospects past the top 150 are pretty volatile.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Is it reasonable, when competition for the money is tight, to believe you can extract a little more due to that competition? I'm not talking unfairly, but push that ask envelope a bit more?
                            Absolutely reasonable - and works better if you have a couple of those who are close bidding against each other.

I hate being on the bidding side of that situation, but on the selling side, it's nice.

Comment

Johnny Dickshot would never use such leverage to extract more value....

Ha ha ha...Johnny Dickshot would absolutely leverage the competition
                              Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Johnny Dickshot would never use such leverage to extract more value....

Ha ha ha...Johnny Dickshot would absolutely leverage the competition
                                I see what Yu did there.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                                X