Exceelent TV Shows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
    The Kinks would be a good name for a band.
    For a minute you really got me there.

Comment

• Somenew stuff coming in April.

Tokyo Vice — April 7 - HBOMax
      One of the benefits of the streaming era is that each service's desperation for new content has led them to lure big-name directors in with big paychecks and creative freedom. Tokyo Vice sees Heat director Michael Mann return to filming for the first time since Blackhat became a notorious flop in 2015. He returns to direct the first episode of a series about an American journalist (Ansel Elgort) who finds himself tangled up in the yakuza.

Outer Range — April 15 - Amazon
      Prime Video is getting into the Josh Brolin business for Outer Range, which stars the Thanos actor as a rancher investigating a (possibly supernatural) mystery in the wilderness of Wyoming.

We Own This City — April 25 - HBO
      If your CV includes creating The Wire, then every project you do from then onwards is probably worth watching. As such, David Simon's new HBO show is hotly anticipated— especially as he is returning to Baltimore to tell a new story about crime in the city.
      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Just started watching Ted Lasso (bought an Iphone, got 3 months free) It's freaking outstanding.

Late to the party....
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
          Just started watching Ted Lasso (bought an Iphone, got 3 months free) It's freaking outstanding.

Late to the party....
          Indeed - it lives up to the hype

Comment

• Not sure if anyone has posted this but Winning Time the rise of the Lakers Dynasty on HBO is the best show I’ve seen in a long time. It is not a documentary…it is a drama. Just awesome

Comment

• Originally posted by Pauly View Post
              Not sure if anyone has posted this but Winning Time the rise of the Lakers Dynasty on HBO is the best show I’ve seen in a long time. It is not a documentary…it is a drama. Just awesome
              It's a great show that gets knocked down a notch by Adam McKay's terrible habit of breaking the fourth wall. Besides that, it's fantastic.

Others:

Inventing Anna on Netflix was so bizarre to be real. Julia Garner's accent is annoying but apparently true to form. It doesn't get fantastic reviews (6.9 on IMDB) but I liked it.

Super Pumped on Showtime is great so far, about the rise and fall of Travis Kalanick at Uber. Joseph Gordon Levitt is his usual phenomenal self.

WeCrashed on AppleTV is similar to Super Pumped, except this time with WeWork and Adam Neumann. One episode in and I'm hooked.

All Of Us Are Dead on Netflix is yet another zombie series, but it's really well made from South Korea.

Upload on Amazon Prime is pretty entertaining comedy so far, about a world where after you die your family can upload your soul into a virtual reality "heaven" where you can keep living on.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                It's a great show that gets knocked down a notch by Adam McKay's terrible habit of breaking the fourth wall. Besides that, it's fantastic.

Others:

Inventing Anna on Netflix was so bizarre to be real. Julia Garner's accent is annoying but apparently true to form. It doesn't get fantastic reviews (6.9 on IMDB) but I liked it.

Super Pumped on Showtime is great so far, about the rise and fall of Travis Kalanick at Uber. Joseph Gordon Levitt is his usual phenomenal self.

WeCrashed on AppleTV is similar to Super Pumped, except this time with WeWork and Adam Neumann. One episode in and I'm hooked.

All Of Us Are Dead on Netflix is yet another zombie series, but it's really well made from South Korea.

Upload on Amazon Prime is pretty entertaining comedy so far, about a world where after you die your family can upload your soul into a virtual reality "heaven" where you can keep living on.
                agreed on Inventing Anna, didn't know what to make of it at first but rather enjoyed it.
                and we're in on Upload, quirky but well done
                It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Our Flag Means Death was a fun watch. Taika Waititi's pirate comedy about the "Gentleman Pirate" and his crew.

Comment

• I discovered yesterday that my son got a "trial" to Paramount + that he forgot about and we've been paying for it for the last 6 months, sigh. I cancelled it, but we still have 3 weeks left, so I've checked out:

Halo - not bad. They drop one per week, so not sure I'll get to see the entire thing.

The Last Stand -- this is from 2020, but it's pretty good.

I put The Mayor of Kingstown on my list, not sure I'll get to it.

I hope I'll finish them in time, but I can tell you this -- for $9.99 a month, it's definitely not worth it. There's nothing else on there.

Comment

• Moon Knight is pretty weird and pretty good. It has that dude from Star Wars (Poe Dameron) starring as a split personality (maybe) guy who's half British wallflower and half American ass kicker who can turn into a superhero. The fam and I have enjoyed it thus far.
                      More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                        Moon Knight is pretty weird and pretty good. It has that dude from Star Wars (Poe Dameron) starring as a split personality (maybe) guy who's half British wallflower and half American ass kicker who can turn into a superhero. The fam and I have enjoyed it thus far.
                        I'm mixed so far on Moon Knight (who, BTW, was one of my faves as a kid). I'm glad they made it, but it seems very jumpy and weird. Maybe I don't remember the comic as it's been 40+ years, lol, but so far I think it's just OK.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                          I'm mixed so far on Moon Knight (who, BTW, was one of my faves as a kid). I'm glad they made it, but it seems very jumpy and weird. Maybe I don't remember the comic as it's been 40+ years, lol, but so far I think it's just OK.
                          I like that it's jumpy and weird. We've had enough regular ol' superhero Marvel stuff already. It's nice when they mix it up some, imo. I've never read any of the comic books (or actually any comic book ever) so I don't know how well it tracks with those. Poe Dameron guy (something Isaac) does a really good job jumping between his personalities, imo.
                          More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• I watched Jerrod Carmichael's comedy special "Rothaniel" recently. I only knew him from his appearance in that Seth Rogan movie "Neighbors". Wow, I was not prepared for that. It is both comedy and really heavy emotional stuff. The show really stayed with me for a while. Kind of a tough watch but very much worth it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                              I watched Jerrod Carmichael's comedy special "Rothaniel" recently. I only knew him from his appearance in that Seth Rogan movie "Neighbors". Wow, I was not prepared for that. It is both comedy and really heavy emotional stuff. The show really stayed with me for a while. Kind of a tough watch but very much worth it.
                              I enjoyed Rothaniel, from Sour Masher's suggestion, but I probably wouldn't re-watch. Too heavy.

Check out Carmichael's other lighter specials though. He's great.
                              Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                                I enjoyed Rothaniel, from Sour Masher's suggestion, but I probably wouldn't re-watch. Too heavy.

Check out Carmichael's other lighter specials though. He's great.
                                I mean, I’m interested, but Rothaniel was hardcore enough to give me pause. Feels like I need to psyche myself up before jumping back into Carmichael. He is a top notch storyteller, for sure.

Comment

Working...
                                X