No announcement yet.

Exceelent TV Shows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Leftovers - i can't figure out if it's extremely clever/deep, or just trying really hard to be and ending up too clever by half. it's certainly interesting so far though.

The Strain - OK so far. if it turns into YAVS (Yet Another Vampire Show) i'll be disappointed.
    "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

• Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post
      The Leftovers - i can't figure out if it's extremely clever/deep, or just trying really hard to be and ending up too clever by half. it's certainly interesting so far though.

The Strain - OK so far. if it turns into YAVS (Yet Another Vampire Show) i'll be disappointed.
      I watched the first episode (pilot?) of The Strain ... I'll definitely give it a shot, but there were a few red flags as far as cohesion is concerned. Could be just a pilot thing.

Also just started on An Honourable Woman (starring Maggie Gyllenhaal. It's a UK spy show ... slow and intriguing, so won't be everyone's cuppa. Onl;y seen the first episode, so can't comment anymore.

I'm going to wait for a few other series to finish before catching up and binge watching them (Rectify, Utopia and Orphan Black).

Just finish Orange Is The New Black season 2. Like season 1 it really rose to a crescendo at the end of the season. They have managed to find a weird balance between light hearted comedy and violence.

Comment

• Did anyone watch The Knick? HBO aired the 1st episode as a teaser, but it's running on Cinemax. It was good enough to consider subscribing to Cinemax for it.

Comment

• haven't watched The Knick.

The Strain is getting, well, strained, on plot. it's just vampires with small twists. instead of reflections not appearing in mirrors, in a silver mirror their image "vibrates." sigh. i'll probably stick with it to the end of the season because i've watched them all to now, but unless it gets better, that'll be it.

The Leftovers, on the other hand, still has me watching with interest. can't quite figure out where it's going, which is good as long as it doesn't continue too long.
          "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

• I'm actually really enjoying The Strain. I'm finding it an interesting take on a pretty tired subject. I don't know the name if the lead actor, but he was great in House of Cards, and he's doing a good job here.

The pilot of The Last Ship was actually pretty decent for a Michael Bay produced series. Some cinema quality action scenes, albeit typically flag waving and gung-ho. Wonder if the rest of the series will hold up.

Extant looks interesting also.

Haven't dipped into The Leftovers yet.

Lots of promising stuff going on right now.

Comment

• I'm finally catching up with The Honourable Woman. Really kicks into gear around episode 3/4 ... you'll know when. It's very slow and deliberate up to that point, and not everything is clear ... in fact it can be a bit confusing ... so you have to stick with it. Maggie Gyllenhaal is amazing ... lot's of strong female characters in this series, in fact it seems like a deliberate theme. The main male characters are all a bit pathetic at times.

Still ongoing (up to episode 8 I think), all episodes still available for free on BBC's iPlayer for those who can access from outside the UK (a browser - Firefox or Chrome - with the "Media Hint" extension install usually does the trick).

EDIT: airing on the Sundance Channel apparently ... same as Rectify ... which is not at all surprising considering they have similar pacing.
              Last edited by johnnya24; 08-24-2014, 08:35 PM.

Comment

• yeah, I saw Maggie Gyllenhaal on Jon Stewart a few weeks back & thought it would be worth checking out. Sounds like a prime binge watching candidate some rainy November Sunday.
                It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• I work with a woman that looks so much like Maggie Gyllenhaal that people have stopped her on the street for her autograph while I've been walking with her.......and yea, I bought her a copy of Secretary.....
                  "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• 'It's happening again': Twin Peaks creator David Lynch confirms his cult classic show is set to return with a new series

It has been 25 years since the series was abruptly cancelled in 1991 on the ABC network.
                    However, a return to the show had been hoped by many after murdered beauty queen Laura Palmer whispered to FBI Agent Dale Cooper (Kyle MacLachlan) that she would see him again in 25 years.
                    The primetime drama was set in 1989, so it looks like Laura might make good on that promise.
                    The statement added that series creators and executive producers David Lynch and Mark Frost 'will write and produce all nine episodes of the limited series, and Lynch will direct every episode.'
                    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• nice!!
                      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• If I recall correctly, Twin Peaks was my first or second round pick in the TV Show draft ... I think I had the turn picks. Got a horrible memory, but I remember that ... go figure.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                          If I recall correctly, Twin Peaks was my first or second round pick in the TV Show draft ... I think I had the turn picks. Got a horrible memory, but I remember that ... go figure.
                          I need to do a Twin Peaks rewatch. I was one of the few freaks that read "The Diary of Laura Palmer" and saw "Fire Walk With Me" in the theatre, one of the very few shows that I would arrange my schedule around. I wonder how it would hold up under a rewatch. X Files really hasn't. Firefly did.
                          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Couldn't finish Twin Peaks.
                            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                              I need to do a Twin Peaks rewatch. I was one of the few freaks that read "The Diary of Laura Palmer" and saw "Fire Walk With Me" in the theatre, one of the very few shows that I would arrange my schedule around. I wonder how it would hold up under a rewatch. X Files really hasn't. Firefly did.
                              I re-watched it about 2 years back ... holds up really well actually.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                                I would think it should hold up well ... not really a lot of time-sensitive stuff in there. And nothing ever changes in rural Washington anyway.

I had a fun housemate at the time - we would play video games every Sun night, then spark up and watch Twin Peaks. great way to end a weekend. good times.

Comment

Working...
                                X