Buying low - slow starts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying low - slow starts

A few pitchers seem to get struggling out of the gate, while others are shining. Could be shortened spring training, could be a sign of a tough season ahead. I am hoping to buy low. Who fits this bill?

NL:
    Darvish?

AL:
    Robbie Ray?

Other ideas please

To some degree Max Fried. He's been unlucky so far, could easily have a much better line. Lots of cheap timely hits and McHugh giving up the 3 run bomb in the first game scoring 2 inherited runners with 2 outs.

Comment

I'd be a little shocked if someone was selling low on players due to underperformance at this point. Not playing at all is one thing, but a few bad games is another.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
        I'd be a little shocked if someone was selling low on players due to underperformance at this point. Not playing at all is one thing, but a few bad games is another.
        I see it every year. It's not rational, but it happens all the time.

Comment

How bout Kelenic or JRodriguez in redraft leagues? Kyle Lewis is coming back soon, if they don't right the ship, they could get demoted.

Comment

Was focusing on pitching. Any ideas there?

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
              Was focusing on pitching. Any ideas there?

Fangraphs is a wonderful thing. Donate if you can.

Comment

A few pitchers seem to get struggling out of the gate, while others are shining. Could be shortened spring training, could be a sign of a tough season ahead. I am hoping to buy low. Who fits this bill?

NL:
                Darvish?

AL:
                Robbie Ray?

Other ideas please
                I'm personally avoiding Ray. He has too much history being bad for me to just assume he's a different guy post 2021. And the velo drop makes that even more pronounced. Buy at your own risk.

Comment

Not all leagues have had their draft yet, so info like this for sure has some value. We will have our auction on Saturday and I also love to buy slow starters at a discount. We are a keeper league, so a good number of the better players will be protected, but I am happy to see an 0-5 night on they good players who will be available.

Comment

This may be the week to start throwing out Buy Low offers. Here are some target hitters in the NL:

Adam Duvall - 0 HRs
                    Dansby Swanson - 0 HRs, leads majors in Ks
                    Avisail Garcia - .192/.208/.288
                    Kolten Wong - .183/.219/.267
                    Christian Yelich - .180, 1 HR
                    Dylan Carlson - .194, 0 HR
                    Nick Madrigal - .200, 0 HR, 0 SB
                    Joey Votto - .143, 0 HR
                    Darin Ruf - .154, 0 HR
                    Justin Turner - .206, 0 HR
                    Trent Grisham - .143, 1 HR, 0 SB
                    Brendan Rodgers - .078, 0 HR, 0 SB
                    Ketel Marte - .149, 0 HR

Comment

NL:
                      Darvish?

AL:
                      Robbie Ray?

Other ideas please
                      As someone with several shares in Yu, I'm not selling him low.
                      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

This may be the week to start throwing out Buy Low offers. Here are some target hitters in the NL:

Adam Duvall - 0 HRs
                        Joey Votto - .143, 0 HR
                        Darin Ruf - .154, 0 HR
                        Ketel Marte - .149, 0 HR
                        I just acquired Swanson. He is a keeper, so there is risk if he doesn't pull out of his funk and house a down year, but I think who we saw last year is who he ends up being. On the flip side, I just moved Yelich after acquiring him just a couple of days before. I am glad I did. Of the remaining players, Ketel Marte stands out as a guy you should get if you can get any kind of discount.

Comment

Adam Duvall - 0 HRs
                          Joey Votto - .143, 0 HR
                          Darin Ruf - .154, 0 HR
                          Ketel Marte - .149, 0 HR
                          Grisham has looked completely lost at the plate - caveat emptor. Max Muncy has also looked terrible thus far but could be a target in NL only leagues, too. Also concerned about Justin Turner, who has looked generally terrible other than a 425 foot out last night. Looking at this list, there are plenty of buy low opportunities but nearly all of these guys had red flags before the season, too.

Not NL obviously, but Julio Rodriguez looks like a fantastic buy low to me. He's been hitting the ball hard as hell and still is racking up the SBs despite a ton of bad luck. Kyle Tucker is another good buy low guy, imo.
                          More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                            Grisham has looked completely lost at the plate - caveat emptor. Max Muncy has also looked terrible thus far but could be a target in NL only leagues, too. Also concerned about Justin Turner, who has looked generally terrible other than a 425 foot out last night. Looking at this list, there are plenty of buy low opportunities but nearly all of these guys had red flags before the season, too.

Not NL obviously, but Julio Rodriguez looks like a fantastic buy low to me. He's been hitting the ball hard as hell and still is racking up the SBs despite a ton of bad luck. Kyle Tucker is another good buy low guy, imo.
                            I called Muncy being way overpriced due to the elbow issue.

Tucker would be a buy low but is anyone really selling him?

Comment

Tucker is at the very top of the buy low list.

Other higher tier guys include Luis Robert and Jesse Winker, both of whom have nice underlying peripherals that would belie their poor starts.
                              More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Working...
                              X