No announcement yet.

Rolling Stone readers - 10 best lead singers of all time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any list without Robin Zander of Cheap Trick is not valid.
    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

You want a POC then how about Phil Lynott?
      I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

I mean, how about James Brown? Bob Marley? I guess there's a point with regards to the "lead singer" concept, but also Marvin Gaye, Sam Cooke, Aretha Franklin, Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder and about a gazillion more.
        More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Ronnie James Dio, Rob Halford...
          I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I've watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those ... moments will be lost in time, like tears...in rain. Time to die.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
            You want a POC then how about Phil Lynott?
            My first suggestion was a POC....

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
              I'd also have to fit John Fogerty in there somewhere. I love his voice. I'm not sure who I'd cut though. Probably Lennon, who, like Cobain, seems to be on the list because of how amazing and big the Beatles were and are and not because he had the best voice.
              Fogerty needs to be in there.

This list seems to be lead vocals of Rock Groups and does not take into consideration other genres.

Personal tastes come into play. Bono is a good singer. He would not appear on my top 20 list. Paul Rodgers of Bad Company would. I think Robert Plant is a great rock singer but not ahead of Roger Daltry. Does Buddy Holly leading the Crickets need to be on the list? What about Willie Nelson and the Record Men. I don't think he would fit the intention of the list. I like groups better than Queen, but no doubt Freddie has chops. i can see him at #2 but would drop him to 3.

Roger Daltry
              Robert Plant
              Freddie Mercury
              Mick Jagger
              Grace Slick
              Eddie Vedder
              Chris Cornell
              John Fogerty
              Ann Wilson
              Neil Young
              Paul Rodgers

I turned it up to 11.

Comment

Honestly, for me, the only one that absolutely has to stay on the list is Robert Plant. All the rest are great frontmen but not necessarily great singers, imo. Chris Cornell is an exception, although he pretty much broke his voice later in his career. Freddie Mercury, too. But guys like Mick Jagger and Roger Daltrey and Jim Morrison, while unbelievable performers, are not the greatest singers.
                More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

My off-the-top-of-my-head top 10 favorite singers

Sam Cooke
                  Billie Holliday
                  Robert Plant
                  Freddie Mercury
                  Paul McCartney
                  Aretha Franklin
                  Otis Redding
                  David Bowie
                  Allison Krauss
                  Hector Lavoe
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Working...
                  X