No announcement yet.

Cut the Cord

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tried the T-Mobile internet in my house, but it was a no-go. My cell service is 2-bars even in the spots of my house and I couldn't get enough consistency during the trial to stick with it. I'm paying $100 a month for 2GB Google Fiber now and it's worth every penny.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post

Interesting. How many of the Gateway boxes do you need in your house? My house is pretty large (~4500 sq ft), how many would allow for good coverage? Do you have a basement, and if so, how is the coverage down there where there's poor outdoor visibility? Do you pay for the equipment? What's the typical speed?

Even with paying for1gig mpbs, it gets so degraded going to wifi, that many times we get under 10 mpbs just 100 feet or so from the router. And I need extenders all throughout the house. My kids constantly complain about the speed and getting lagged out of their games. I would love to make the switch.
      I guess I have a smaller footprint than you so it works just fine with my Google Nest spreading the signal throughout. I have a half basement and it usually works down there, but we hardly use any wifi down there, so I can't say if it's reliable. My app says it's running at 295 Mbps right now and most of the time it's good enough for whatever we use. I don't know if it'll work for your needs but cable had regular outages every week, sometimes every day.

Comment

Originally posted by ironfist View Post

I guess I have a smaller footprint than you so it works just fine with my Google Nest spreading the signal throughout. I have a half basement and it usually works down there, but we hardly use any wifi down there, so I can't say if it's reliable. My app says it's running at 295 Mbps right now and most of the time it's good enough for whatever we use. I don't know if it'll work for your needs but cable had regular outages every week, sometimes every day.
        I went to a T-Mobile and the rep was pretty honest with me, saying that in a house with 3 kids constantly gaming and 3 others constantly streaming, it probably wouldn't be a good option yet. He said average speed is anywhere from 70 mbps to 300 mbps, which sounds fine. I'll take another look at it again soon.

Comment

I've been waiting several years for T-Mobile to offer internet service in my small western PA town with a population of slightly under 2,000. I'm stuck with paying twice the price for Xfinity cable for now. It is pretty reliable though. But, I don't use it for gaming or streaming. Just internet surfing.
          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
          X