Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RHD's Latest Top 150 Roto Prospects ("Pre-BA Top 100" Edition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rhd View Post
    Here's a quote from BA's report:
    Pomares has made strides on defense, including with first-step reactions and quickness, but he’s still a below-average defender overall.
    Gracias. I read on mlb.com they were planning on trying him at CF, but I now realize it is old, not updated from last year. Still, it seems to be conflicting reports, since MLB had him as average before last season and BA says he made strides but is below average. I imagine BA has a better read on his defense though. Guys like him are interesting to me, because some sources don't even have him top 10 in his org, while a couple have him top 90 in all of baseball. It makes him the sort of guy who can either go way too early in a draft or late, depending on what sources league mates use.

"Pomares' speed, arm and corner-outfield defense all earn average to solid grades. After he spent most of 2019 in right field, the Giants planned on trying him in center field, though that may be a stretch. He recorded 10 assists in 45 outfield starts during his first pro season."

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
      Gracias. I read on mlb.com they were planning on trying him at CF, but I now realize it is old, not updated from last year. Still, it seems to be conflicting reports, since MLB had him as average before last season and BA says he made strides but is below average. I imagine BA has a better read on his defense though. Guys like him are interesting to me, because some sources don't even have him top 10 in his org, while a couple have him top 90 in all of baseball. It makes him the sort of guy who can either go way too early in a draft or late, depending on what sources league mates use.

"Pomares' speed, arm and corner-outfield defense all earn average to solid grades. After he spent most of 2019 in right field, the Giants planned on trying him in center field, though that may be a stretch. He recorded 10 assists in 45 outfield starts during his first pro season."
      I'd like to keep guys like Pomares on the list. But the problem w a top 150 list is that only 150 guys will fit on it. There are about 5 players that I've added to the list since I posted it and about 4 others that I really want to put on but cant yet justify removing someone else to put them there. I just think that there are at least 150 guys I'd rather have on the list than Pomares rt now.

Comment

rhd- it is amazing the writeups you get to read when drafting in the 47th round of a draft and hold. What are your thoughts on Elehuris Montero? The fangraphs writeup is, dare I say, glowing...but not on the rhd list so I have to take it with a grain of salt!

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
          rhd- it is amazing the writeups you get to read when drafting in the 47th round of a draft and hold. What are your thoughts on Elehuris Montero? The fangraphs writeup is, dare I say, glowing...but not on the rhd list so I have to take it with a grain of salt!
          Thanx, Pauly. You are too kind to prefer my rankings to FG writeups. FG is awesome!

Actually, the writeup of Montero I saw at FG said they project him as a 2nd-division regular, which is not bad but not particularly inspiring. He isnt in the Top 100 of any list I've seen, altho he was an honorable mention on Bleacher Report's list from last Oct. BA's report indicates that he can be a middle of the order force if he can improve his hitting approach which currently is unrefined and aggressive. They say it is uncertain where he fits defensively and that he may wind up at DH. Currently, he is not too far off my list at #183.

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post
            Thanx, Pauly. You are too kind to prefer my rankings to FG writeups. FG is awesome!

Actually, the writeup of Montero I saw at FG said they project him as a 2nd-division regular, which is not bad but not particularly inspiring. He isnt in the Top 100 of any list I've seen, altho he was an honorable mention on Bleacher Report's list from last Oct. BA's report indicates that he can be a middle of the order force if he can improve his hitting approach which currently is unrefined and aggressive. They say it is uncertain where he fits defensively and that he may wind up at DH. Currently, he is not too far off my list at #183.
            Thanks...is this the writeup you saw? It is only from a couple weeks ago
            Colorado has done well identifying hitters in the draft, but the system remains shallow.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
              Thanks...is this the writeup you saw? It is only from a couple weeks ago
              https://blogs.fangraphs.com/colorado...-36-prospects/
              Yeah, that one.

Comment

How much does Jung's injury move him down? A torn labrum is scary. Jung was seen as a plus defender at 3b, but the labrum tear potentially hurts his development there and might impeded him when he gets back.

Comment

How much does Jung's injury move him down? A torn labrum is scary. Jung was seen as a plus defender at 3b, but the labrum tear potentially hurts his development there and might impeded him when he gets back.
                  Yeah, labrum tears are bad but not nearly as bad for hitters. I'm not too worried about a possible positional change affecting his roto value. I'm not letting the injury affect my ranking of him. In fact, I've moved him up, along w the other draft candidates that he was grouped w because of condensing consensus of who the top draftee prospects are at the start of the amateur season. I've heard at least one site mention that there are 7 players that are considered the top draftees at this point and those would be the 6 I have on the list I posted, along w Jacob Berry of LSU who is now grouped w the 2nd tier of draftees on my list, which includes Jung. He's currently #78.

Edit: Sorry, I got confused. I thought you were referring to Jace Jung, the Texas Tech player. OK, Josh Jung, the Rangers' MiLB 3Bman, is the one w the injury and will miss most, if not all of the season. I'm still not worried about the injury long term, but he was a candidate to get significant playing time in MLB this year so the fact that he probably wont be contributing roto stats this year does knock him down some for me. Not much, tho. He's now #23.
                  Last edited by rhd; 02-23-2022, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Ah, sorry for not giving the full name. My brain is not into the next draft yet so I didn't realize there was another prominent Jung. Thanks for the feedback on Josh Jung. Perhaps this is an opportunity to trade for him if his owner is panicked.

Comment

Just a reference point for those having a fypd soon. My 15 team mixed league (1 catcher league) is doing ours now and we are almost through the 1st round, 14 picks in. I traded up for picks 4, 5, and 7 and got Lawlar, Watson, and House. The rest is below:

1. Seiya Suzuki
                      2. Jack Leiter
                      3. Marcelo Mayer
                      4. Jordan Lawlar
                      5. Kahlil Watson
                      6. Henry Davis
                      7. Brady House
                      8. Jackson Jobe
                      9. Everson Pereira (was somehow not rostered, even though we go 20 deep, so 300 minor leaguers rostered)
                      10. Roderick Arias
                      11. Colton Cowser
                      12. Cristhian Vaquero
                      13. Benny Montgomery
                      14. Dustin Harris (another guy who was not rostered; Keith Law put him in his top 100)

Comment

Just a reference point for those having a fypd soon. My 15 team mixed league (1 catcher league) is doing ours now and we are almost through the 1st round, 14 picks in. I traded up for picks 4, 5, and 7 and got Lawlar, Watson, and House. The rest is below:

1. Seiya Suzuki
                        2. Jack Leiter
                        3. Marcelo Mayer
                        4. Jordan Lawlar
                        5. Kahlil Watson
                        6. Henry Davis
                        7. Brady House
                        8. Jackson Jobe
                        9. Everson Pereira (was somehow not rostered, even though we go 20 deep, so 300 minor leaguers rostered)
                        10. Roderick Arias
                        11. Colton Cowser
                        12. Cristhian Vaquero
                        13. Benny Montgomery
                        14. Dustin Harris (another guy who was not rostered; Keith Law put him in his top 100)
                        No surprise Dustin Harris was not rostered, he came on strong last year and jumped into the top 100 from out of nowhere.

I think House is a steal at 7 overall, but he has been going 6 or 7 I agree.

Cowser had a strong debut and could make a case for going top 6 or 7 as well.

Comment

So what's the consensus on when top rookies like Witt, Rutschman etc. will actually come up? Could we expect close to full seasons out of them this year?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                            No surprise Dustin Harris was not rostered, he came on strong last year and jumped into the top 100 from out of nowhere.

I think House is a steal at 7 overall, but he has been going 6 or 7 I agree.

Cowser had a strong debut and could make a case for going top 6 or 7 as well.
                            Yeah, with one catcher, I expected Cowser of House to go 6th, but he went Davis. I was tempted by Cowser at 7, but could not pass up on House's upside. The guy who got Jobe at 8 also got Cowser at 11. I like them both a lot. Jobe could be really special--the spin rate is really elite. But the fail rate on HS RHP's is so high, I get why he is not usually a top 10 fypd pick.

Comment

Yeah, with one catcher, I expected Cowser of House to go 6th, but he went Davis. I was tempted by Cowser at 7, but could not pass up on House's upside. The guy who got Jobe at 8 also got Cowser at 11. I like them both a lot. Jobe could be really special--the spin rate is really elite. But the fail rate on HS RHP's is so high, I get why he is not usually a top 10 fypd pick.
                              Put Cowser at 8 and Jobe at 11 and it feels like a good draft for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                                Put Cowser at 8 and Jobe at 11 and it feels like a good draft for him.
                                Yeah, that is how I thought it would go, but he took them in the right order. Pick 9 wanted Jobe. This is a points league, so SPs have more value.

Comment

Working...
                                X