Week 18 Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
    And their owner is a yuuuuuge Michigan booster.
    He is, but that's why I believe Harbaugh is not happening because Ross actually cares about UM, so I don't think he wants Harbaugh to leave UM.

But, who knows? "Harbaugh to the NFL" rumors have been around every year since he started so I guess we'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
      I was shocked their hatred for the Chargers overcame their senses and they attempted that kick. If it was blocked and run back for a TD we would be calling THAT the all time worst blunder in sports history.
      It seemed like maybe it was payback for calling the TO? Not really sure. Not too hard to imagine that not a single Raider had any inclination to let the Chargers into the playoffs if they could help it.
      More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
        It seemed like maybe it was payback for calling the TO? Not really sure. Not too hard to imagine that not a single Raider had any inclination to let the Chargers into the playoffs if they could help it.
        Yes, Carr admitted as much in the postgame interview. I do agree with Pauly, and said as much to my buddies last night as it was happening, that a) there was no point to kick a FG, as it actually lessened the odds of winning; and b) as it was happening, that it was some kind of rub-your-face-in-it moment.

Still, since Bisaccia was successful and Staley was not, only one goes down in history as the dumbass.

Comment

Gettleman supposed to be retiring. One down, revo!
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
            Yes, Carr admitted as much in the postgame interview. I do agree with Pauly, and said as much to my buddies last night as it was happening, that a) there was no point to kick a FG, as it actually lessened the odds of winning; and b) as it was happening, that it was some kind of rub-your-face-in-it moment.

Still, since Bisaccia was successful and Staley was not, only one goes down in history as the dumbass.
            Raiders were FUCKING IDIOTS for attempting that FG.
            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
              Raiders were FUCKING IDIOTS for attempting that FG.
              I wonder how the risk analysis plays out of "failed FG returned for a TD" vs "beating the Bengals instead of the Chiefs".

Although your barrier for "FUCKING IDIOTS" labels is likely much, much lower than mine, I'm still not sure you are correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                I wonder how the risk analysis plays out of "failed FG returned for a TD" vs "beating the Bengals instead of the Chiefs".

Although your barrier for "FUCKING IDIOTS" labels is likely much, much lower than mine, I'm still not sure you are correct.
                From 1994-2018, there have been 23,846 NFL field goal attempts, counting playoffs. There have been 37 blocked and returned for TD's In that same period of time there were 5 kick six TD's (not blocked).

Pretty safe odds.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                  From 1994-2018, there have been 23,846 NFL field goal attempts, counting playoffs. There have been 37 blocked and returned for TD's In that same period of time there were 5 kick six TD's (not blocked).

Pretty safe odds.
                  Thats ridiculous. They kneel game over welcome to the playoffs. They kick, they bring the chance of it into play, no matter how remote.

Comment

Thats ridiculous. They kneel game over welcome to the playoffs. They kick, they bring the chance of it into play, no matter how remote.
                    So you just summarily dismiss the difference between playing the Chiefs and the Bengals?

Comment

Well, as Ken mentioned, there's a little more to it that just that. Taking the knee there means they face the Chiefs instead of the Bengals in addition to letting their division rivals in, just after said rivals pretty much flipped them the middle finger. That said, if the Chargers weren't so determined to be dumb it would have been a tie, it seems.

Here's a good article with some of that analysis: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ding-explained
                      More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

So you just summarily dismiss the difference between playing the Chiefs and the Bengals?
                        i did considering the raiders got waxed by both of them, and you would rather be there than not.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post

Pretty safe odds.
                          Plus they have made 40 of 43 FGA for a 93% FGM.

A chance to beat your rival as well as avoiding the Chiefs was a good call. In hindsight still a good call.

Now the Chargers. Well they made a huge mistake.

Comment

i did considering the raiders got waxed by both of them, and you would rather be there than not.
                            The Bengals game was very close despite the final score. The Chiefs games....well, they are clearly a FAR superior team to the Bengals or the Raiders and whipped LV badly. The Chiefs are superior enough to the Bengals, imo, as to merit serious consideration about how to handle the end of that game.

As that article mentions, the Raiders had something to gain by winning whereas the Chargers only wanted to not lose, if that makes sense. Despite those different goals, LV was going to hand it to the Chargers anyways but the Chargers blew it.

Comment

True, that 1 game sample is obviously the key to the analysis

I think it's clear that any team would prefer to play the Bengals over the Chiefs, by a pretty good margin.

Comment

True, that 1 game sample is obviously the key to the analysis

I think it's clear that any team would prefer to play the Bengals over the Chiefs, by a pretty good margin.
                                I may be scarred for life but this was the ending to the first FSU game (my school) that I brought my son to:

So I dont take the whole FG thing for granted.

Comment

Working...
                                X