JD Martinez and a pick for Devers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JD Martinez and a pick for Devers

The Devers owner is shopping him. He is $17 in the final year of his contract and his owner wants more long term value for him while still getting something good back to help him compete in 2022. I made an offer of of a $22 JD Martinez, who can be kept at that the next two years and then extended (though an extension is unlikely given his age at that point), and the 4th overall pick our prospect draft, which will be one of the big name short stops. He initially was very keen on the idea, but he made a counter to another owner and wants to see if that deal will get done first.

Since I am in wait mode, I figured I'd verify that the deal is a good one for me, but also that it is good enough for what he wants as well. I want to know what to do if he wants more. Should I hold firm or give more? I also have the 11th pick in the draft, and he may try to get me to add that as well. I would love to have Devers, as I have been converting minor league equity to keeper upgrades and plan to go for the title hard in 2022. But I don't want to burn more capital than I need to and I want to know if folks thinks I am giving the right amount as is.

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
    The Devers owner is shopping him. He is $17 in the final year of his contract and his owner wants more long term value for him while still getting something good back to help him compete in 2022. I made an offer of of a $22 JD Martinez, who can be kept at that the next two years and then extended (though an extension is unlikely given his age at that point), and the 4th overall pick our prospect draft, which will be one of the big name short stops. He initially was very keen on the idea, but he made a counter to another owner and wants to see if that deal will get done first.

Since I am in wait mode, I figured I'd verify that the deal is a good one for me, but also that it is good enough for what he wants as well. I want to know what to do if he wants more. Should I hold firm or give more? I also have the 11th pick in the draft, and he may try to get me to add that as well. I would love to have Devers, as I have been converting minor league equity to keeper upgrades and plan to go for the title hard in 2022. But I don't want to burn more capital than I need to and I want to know if folks thinks I am giving the right amount as is.
    So if you hold the draft pick and trade it in May/June what could you get for it ? Without knowing your roster and league info I'd suspect you should just hold the pick and Martinez and then trade the pick as early in the season as you can. Then you would have Martinez plus whatever you can get for the pick. Really it comes down to what the pick will be worth early in the year when you want to move it for a player who can help this year.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
      So if you hold the draft pick and trade it in May/June what could you get for it ? Without knowing your roster and league info I'd suspect you should just hold the pick and Martinez and then trade the pick as early in the season as you can. Then you would have Martinez plus whatever you can get for the pick. Really it comes down to what the pick will be worth early in the year when you want to move it for a player who can help this year.
      It is a good point, because prospects are highly regarded in my league set up. However, early in the year, I doubt there will be anyone wanting to trade for a prospect, but if I wait it out, I could get a Devers level player for just the prospect I take with the pick in August the. If I do the deal now, though, I can have the money difference to spend in the auction plus have the difference between Martinez and Devers. Although, if Martinez starts hot like last year, that won't be much of a difference for the first 2-3 months. So, maybe waiting it out is the way to go. That way, I eventually end up with Martinez and a Devers level player. My team is already stacked, so barring lots going wrong, I should be able to compete until dumpers start to dump.

Comment

It is a good point, because prospects are highly regarded in my league set up. However, early in the year, I doubt there will be anyone wanting to trade for a prospect, but if I wait it out, I could get a Devers level player for just the prospect I take with the pick in August the. If I do the deal now, though, I can have the money difference to spend in the auction plus have the difference between Martinez and Devers. Although, if Martinez starts hot like last year, that won't be much of a difference for the first 2-3 months. So, maybe waiting it out is the way to go. That way, I eventually end up with Martinez and a Devers level player. My team is already stacked, so barring lots going wrong, I should be able to compete until dumpers start to dump.
        i think the money difference between Devers/Martinez is not enough to give up a high round pick. If your team is loaded I think you are better off keeping the pick to trade for any potential needs that arise in the next season. Plus potential to move Martinez as a keeper depending on his performance if your league has high inflation.
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

This seems like a pretty even deal - do you have a big need for a high quality 3B or an excess of OF’s? On pure value, and knowing how well you deal for prospects, I’d be inclined to do it.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
            This seems like a pretty even deal - do you have a big need for a high quality 3B or an excess of OF’s? On pure value, and knowing how well you deal for prospects, I’d be inclined to do it.
            I love my keeper ratios right now. 15 keepers, 5 infield, 3 OF, 5 SP, 2 RP. If I deal Martinez, I will be light on OFers in a years where I don't think there will be many really good ones in the auction). I already gave Bregman and two good prospects for Jose Ramirez, so I am good at 3b, but Devers would be a heck of a corner to go with Ramirez and Olson at 1b. I like Martinez and think he will have another good year, but the consensus has Devers going rounds higher and being clearly the better performer, so this move was in keeping with the ones I have been making this offseason--trade my good players with upside (like Bregman) for more sure thing studs.

This is a 16 team mixed league, which just expanded from 14 teams. Expansion left some holes on some teams, and I am not sure what it will mean for the auction. I suspect it will drive up the prices on the good players like Bregman and Martinez some, but I think it will drive up superstars even more, which is why I have focused on getting some now, as I won't be able to afford any more in the auction. I've dealt Swanson and prospects for Semien and did the same with Bregman and prospects. The difference in this deal is Devers is in his last year, so I may be giving too much for him, but I haven't won since 2018 and I've gone from feared to being trashed talked by the new back to back champ. Despite having many more titles, if he three-peats this year, which is something no one has ever done, including me, I will never hear the end of it. I've come up 2nd to him the last two years. I don't want it to happen a third.

Comment

Love the back story. In that case, definitely make the deal.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                i think the money difference between Devers/Martinez is not enough to give up a high round pick. If your team is loaded I think you are better off keeping the pick to trade for any potential needs that arise in the next season. Plus potential to move Martinez as a keeper depending on his performance if your league has high inflation.
                I agree with this. 4th overall pick seems like it would land you more in-season than right now. Upgrade isn't big enough for me, personally.

But you know the league dynamics best.
                Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                  I agree with this. 4th overall pick seems like it would land you more in-season than right now. Upgrade isn't big enough for me, personally.

But you know the league dynamics best.
                  He still has me on a holding pattern, and my passion for the deal is waning. I initially tried to give him the 11th pick and another decent prospect like PCA, Joey Wiemer, Blake Walston, etc. I may try that angle again if/when he gets back to me.

Comment

He still has me on a holding pattern, and my passion for the deal is waning. I initially tried to give him the 11th pick and another decent prospect like PCA, Joey Wiemer, Blake Walston, etc. I may try that angle again if/when he gets back to me.
                    This is where I change the game. He has you *waiting* on him, he's in control. As long as you are okay losing the deal (which it sounds like you are), take back the reins. Give him a deadline. Something along the lines of "I have some interest in another deal that may involve these players, I need to know by tomorrow if you are going to accept my previous offer. After that, my price goes up significantly."

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                      This is where I change the game. He has you *waiting* on him, he's in control. As long as you are okay losing the deal (which it sounds like you are), take back the reins. Give him a deadline. Something along the lines of "I have some interest in another deal that may involve these players, I need to know by tomorrow if you are going to accept my previous offer. ."
                      Fixed.

And now I agree with it completely.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                        Fixed.

And now I agree with it completely.
                        yup, that works too. And honestly it depends on the person. Close friend who I trade with all the time I may be more aggressive since I know the tone will not be misunderstood.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                          This is where I change the game. He has you *waiting* on him, he's in control. As long as you are okay losing the deal (which it sounds like you are), take back the reins. Give him a deadline. Something along the lines of "I have some interest in another deal that may involve these players, I need to know by tomorrow if you are going to accept my previous offer. After that, my price goes up significantly."
                          Yeah, that is normally my move, because I can say it truthfully--I am always working deals and I often do have players I want to move elsewhere, and do. In fact, sometimes I will do another deal quickly just to prove to the slow of foot owners I was not bluffing--I really did have another deal lined up.

I have thought about putting a clock on him, but he is a busy guy and not super keen on offseason moves as a general rule--I was surprised he initiated this one, as that is very rare for him. For now, my plan is to wait for him to come back to the table, because I think it is the better move to potentially change the deal to the 11th pick and another prospect, which I prefer. If he comes back, it means the guy he wants to deal with rejected his counter. That gives me more leverage, since he seems set on moving Devers.

Comment

Yeah, that is normally my move, because I can say it truthfully--I am always working deals and I often do have players I want to move elsewhere, and do. In fact, sometimes I will do another deal quickly just to prove to the slow of foot owners I was not bluffing--I really did have another deal lined up.

I have thought about putting a clock on him, but he is a busy guy and not super keen on offseason moves as a general rule--I was surprised he initiated this one, as that is very rare for him. For now, my plan is to wait for him to come back to the table, because I think it is the better move to potentially change the deal to the 11th pick and another prospect, which I prefer. If he comes back, it means the guy he wants to deal with rejected his counter. That gives me more leverage, since he seems set on moving Devers.
                            Since you can't take their car keys and make them hang around the office considering your offer this is probably the next best strategy.
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                            X