New league keeper help please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New league keeper help please.

I joined a new league AL only 4x4 (hr, rbi, sb, ave.) (era, wins, saves whip) keeper, 12 team. I have to cut down the roster to 23 by tomorrow.

4 players have to go.

This is the team I inherited:

1B-Bobby Bradley-6B
    2B-Ramon Urias-5A
    SS-Amed Rosario-16A
    OF-Franmil Reyes-34A
    OF-Giancarlo Stanton-32A
    OF-Lourdes Gurriel-15Y
    OF Josh Naylor-10A
    C-Sean Murphy-10A
    C-Francisco Mejia-4A
    CR-Yuli Gurriel-20B
    MI-Jed Lowrie-3A ?

P Bryan Shaw Cle 5A
    P Dylan Cease CWS 10B
    P James Karinchak Cle 16A
    P *Dylan Bundy LAA 1B
    P Zach Plesac Cle 11B
    P Drew Steckenrider Sea 5A
    P Garrett Whitlock Bos 5A

Reserves:

SS #Robert Puason Oak 5F res
    3B #Spencer Torkelson Det 15F res
    OF Yusniel Diaz Bal 15F res
    OF Pedro Leon Hou 10F res
    OF Lazaro Armenteros Oak 5F res
    C Ronaldo Hernandez Bos 5F res
    C Tyler Soderstrom Oak 10F res
    C Bo Naylor Cle 5F res
    P Clarke Schmidt NY 5F res

All comments and suffestions are welcome.

Two players jump out at me.

Karinchak seems way overpriced at 16. edit: Ok, his numbers were a little better than i originally thought. Still too much money for a middle reliever.

Bundy is tempting for a buck to get some cheap K's. But those are the types of guys who end up destroying your ratios. And Bundy did just that in 2021. edit: Just noticed that you don't have K's in your league. So, Bundy is an easy cut for me.

I'm not familiar with the minor leaguers except for Torkelson, who i like. So, i am not qualified to give advice on those guys.
    Last edited by madducks; 12-26-2021, 09:44 PM.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Speed and saves take on added importance in 4x4. So, assuming that you don't have to take your 23 into the season you may as well keep Karinchak for now in the event that Clase gets hurt in ST. Whitlock is rumored to be a possibility for saves.

Bundy is now a Twin and also assuming that you can make roster moves in season he's probably worth a flier at $1.

Comment

Bundy, Lowrie, Karinchak, and while I suspect you can keep minors, I’m not at all sold on Bo Naylor.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
          Bundy, Lowrie, Karinchak, and while I suspect you can keep minors, I’m not at all sold on Bo Naylor.
          We can keep as many minors as we want as long as we do not go over 23 total players. Their salaries do not count until activated.

Comment

Gregg - do you have a further paring down of the roster before the season begins?

Last year at this time Karinchak was a hot commodity. He lost his closer role and his numbers took somewhat of a dip, but still not so terrible. Obviously as a middle reliever he's not a keeper at $16, but if you are still able to drop him before the season I hold him at this point in 4x4. It's not unrealistic to think that he could be moved to a team like the Pirates/Orioles, etc and be the guy.

Comment

Originally posted by harmon View Post
              Gregg - do you have a further paring down of the roster before the season begins?

Last year at this time Karinchak was a hot commodity. He lost his closer role and his numbers took somewhat of a dip, but still not so terrible. Obviously as a middle reliever he's not a keeper at $16, but if you are still able to drop him before the season I hold him at this point in 4x4. It's not unrealistic to think that he could be moved to a team like the Pirates/Orioles, etc and be the guy.
              We will go from 23 to 19 keepers a week or so before the auction. The 19 can be any combination of actives and prospects.

This league appears to be prospect heavy near as I can tell.

Comment

On offense I would boot Josh Naylor $10, Sean Murphy $10, and Lowrie $3. Naylor and Murphy are okay, but I'd prefer to keep the $20 for 2 spots, and buy 1 bat with more upside. This team looks like it needs a 1 year rebuild to become a contender, so I would focus on getting the best trade chips. Mid-tier, $10 type of players don't often carry much trade value, so unless they break out and become keepers, you're better off with a stars and scrubs build.

Pitching, I toss all the relievers except possibly Whitlock, who has some remote rotation hopes, or some save opportunities. I assume all the $5 RP are priced at $5 cuz they were reserve round picks. I would toss $16 Karinchak and spend elsewhere on save speculation. So I only keep Cease, Plesac, Bundy, possibly Whitlock.

Reserves, I only keep 4. Tork $15 and Soderstrom $10 are the biggest gems. I love Soderstrom and think he eventually shifts to 3B. Pedro Leon $10 is a hesitant keep, only because he flopped so hard in the AFL, but at least he's close to the bigs. Clarke Schmidt $5 is fine. I'm not a huge fan, but he's a possibility.
                Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                  On offense I would boot Josh Naylor $10, Sean Murphy $10, and Lowrie $3. Naylor and Murphy are okay, but I'd prefer to keep the $20 for 2 spots, and buy 1 bat with more upside. This team looks like it needs a 1 year rebuild to become a contender, so I would focus on getting the best trade chips. Mid-tier, $10 type of players don't often carry much trade value, so unless they break out and become keepers, you're better off with a stars and scrubs build.

Pitching, I toss all the relievers except possibly Whitlock, who has some remote rotation hopes, or some save opportunities. I assume all the $5 RP are priced at $5 cuz they were reserve round picks. I would toss $16 Karinchak and spend elsewhere on save speculation. So I only keep Cease, Plesac, Bundy, possibly Whitlock.

Reserves, I only keep 4. Tork $15 and Soderstrom $10 are the biggest gems. I love Soderstrom and think he eventually shifts to 3B. Pedro Leon $10 is a hesitant keep, only because he flopped so hard in the AFL, but at least he's close to the bigs. Clarke Schmidt $5 is fine. I'm not a huge fan, but he's a possibility.
                  Generally agree with this, although I'm still tempted to keep Sean Murphy and may keep more/all of the minor league guys depending on how that will impact your minor league draft or how many slots it would leave you with. Hard to imagine Yusniel Diaz returning that kind of value for you, for example, but perhaps there is no opportunity cost to keep him?
                  More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Thank you all for the help with team Elliot Mess and the Touchables.

Let the trading begin!

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                      I joined a new league AL only 4x4 (hr, rbi, sb, ave.) (era, wins, saves whip) keeper, 12 team. I have to cut down the roster to 23 by tomorrow.

4 players have to go.

This is the team I inherited:

1B-Bobby Bradley-6B
                      2B-Ramon Urias-5A
                      SS-Amed Rosario-16A
                      OF-Franmil Reyes-34A
                      OF-Giancarlo Stanton-32A
                      OF-Lourdes Gurriel-15Y
                      OF Josh Naylor-10A
                      C-Sean Murphy-10A
                      C-Francisco Mejia-4A
                      CR-Yuli Gurriel-20B
                      MI-Jed Lowrie-3A ?

P Bryan Shaw Cle 5A
                      P Dylan Cease CWS 10B
                      P James Karinchak Cle 16A
                      P *Dylan Bundy LAA 1B
                      P Zach Plesac Cle 11B
                      P Drew Steckenrider Sea 5A
                      P Garrett Whitlock Bos 5A

Reserves:

SS #Robert Puason Oak 5F res
                      3B #Spencer Torkelson Det 15F res
                      OF Yusniel Diaz Bal 15F res
                      OF Pedro Leon Hou 10F res
                      OF Lazaro Armenteros Oak 5F res
                      C Ronaldo Hernandez Bos 5F res
                      C Tyler Soderstrom Oak 10F res
                      C Bo Naylor Cle 5F res
                      P Clarke Schmidt NY 5F res

All comments and suggestions are welcome.
                      I have been on the Kiriloff band wagon for awhile. It seems that he has risen up the boards for this year. As the new guy to this league I would like to make a fair offer to the Kirilloff 5B owner that shows I am serious. I don't want to get slaughtered in the deal but I do want him to say yes.

What players from my team would you offer or if offered you would say yes to?

Thank you in advance.

Comment

Bump in hoping to get some feedback to the above.

Comment

L. Gurriel at 15Y probably gets turned down, but might do it for him if he's a strong contender this year and has salary space. What does the Y contract mean?

Cease at 10B should definitely do it but you want a sweetener there.

If you offered up both of those guys you should get Kirilloff plus another solid keeper piece.

Your top prospects should be off the table.

Comment

Originally posted by harmon View Post
                            L. Gurriel at 15Y probably gets turned down, but might do it for him if he's a strong contender this year and has salary space. What does the Y contract mean?

Cease at 10B should definitely do it but you want a sweetener there.

If you offered up both of those guys you should get Kirilloff plus another solid keeper piece.

Your top prospects should be off the table.
                            Y means he was extended so I get him this year and next at $15.

What do you think of adding a little sweetener to Gurriel (Bundy or Bradley)?

Thank you for the input.

Comment

Probably hold onto Bundy given his price and hope for upside. I would add Bradley. Would be nice for you to free up some $ while adding Kirilloff.

On the other side, do you see anything realistic on his team that could make the Cease and Gurriel offer work?

Comment

Working...
                              X