JWST launched successfully!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JWST launched successfully!

The James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) launched successfully at 7:20 AM today from the European Space Agency's (ESA) launch facility in French Guiana. I watched it live from a NASA YT channel. It looks like it was a perfect launch and perfect flight so far. This is very big news for space science and it's very nice to see many people from different countries come together to achieve something that will benefit all mankind. It was a joint project of NASA, ESA and the Canadian Space Agency (CSA).

This project has taken 25 years to complete, has been delayed many times, was almost cancelled, and ended up way over budget. The original launch date was 2007 and the original estimated cost was $500 million. It ended up costing about $9.7 billion. Many people who have been following this project wondered at times whether this day would ever come.

I've watched several spacecraft launches before but I think this is the first one that had a destination beyond low Earth orbit. The telescope is headed toward earth's 2nd LaGrange point (L2), which is a point where an object can remain stationary w respect to the Earth w/o actually orbiting the Earth. It is about 930,000 miles away and it will take almost a month to get in its final position. The telescope actually wont be completely stationary w respect to Earth but will appear to rotate in a small orbit. There will be about 5 months of calibrations before the telescope actually will start producing results.

I found it interesting that after the stage 1 rocket ended it actually decreased in altitude from about 140 miles to about 110 miles before it started climbing again. The stage 2 rocket ended about 25 minutes after launch and the telescope separated from the rocket about 2 minutes later. At about 29 minutes after launch, the telescope started unfolding, which I thought wouldnt happen until it got to the LaGrange point. There are 344 moves that will occur during the unfolding, so a lot of chance for something to go wrong. Unlike the Hubble telescope, which it basically is replacing, it will be too difficult to send astronauts to fix any problems that occur so hopefully everything will work as planned.

thanks for the summary, I had been reading a bit about it but you summarized it better than anything I had read!
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
      thanks for the summary, I had been reading a bit about it but you summarized it better than anything I had read!
      You're welcome. Another fact that I neglected to mention above is that the reason they launched from French Guiana instead of Cape Canaveral is that because it is closer to the Equator, the flight got an extra boost of momentum (from the faster rotation of the Earth there) to make it easier to get into space.

Comment

JWST has successfully reached the L2 LaGrangian point and all functions so far have been successful. Now, it will spend the next 6 months doing calibrations and allowing parts of the craft to cool down sufficiently so that they will function as intended. Then, it will start performing the operations it was intended for, particularly probing farther into the very early time periods of the universe. Organizations will buy time to use the telescope, I suppose similarly to how people and orgs rent time on earth telescopes. It will orbit the L2 point in an orbit that is bigger than that of the moon and it will take about 6 months to complete each orbit.

Comment

Thanks for posting this. I would love to be a part of something like this, but I also would be a total nervous wreck. So much work and planning went into this thing and the margin for error is so low. Gah, so stressful for everyone who worked on it.

Comment

I have enjoyed following the journey of the JWST. I can't wait for the images to be released this summer.
            "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

JWST's NIRCam camera was turned on w/i the past few days. It will focus on a star in Ursa Major (Big Dipper) in order to calibrate the 18 separate mirrors on the telescope in order to create a perfectly smooth surface. This process is expected to take almost 3 months to complete. The success of the telescope depends on whether this operation can be completely successfully.

Comment

Working...
              X