Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Week 13 Thread

Seahawks sign AP to bolster their pathetic running game

I'm watching the Tom Brady special on ESPN+, and what I found interesting after discussing it with my son was that in the era around his rookie season (2000), it was far from unusual for a starting QB -- even a "great" QB -- to have been a low draft pick, or even drafted at all.

This is how dramatic the NFL has changed: in 2000, only 3 QBs had 4,000+ yards passing. Most starters had between 2400 & 3600 yds passing. So obviously, there was far more of an emphasis placed on the running game. But two of those three 4,000yd passers were Jeff Garcia (undrafted) and Elvis Grbac (8th rd pick).

In addition, here are some other starters that year, in order of yards, taken in the 3rd rd or later:
    - Steve Beuerlein, 5th rd
    - Mark Brunell, 4th rd
    - Rich Gannon, 4th rd
    - Kurt Warner, undrafted
    - Brian Griese, 3rd rd
    - Jon Kitna, undrafted
    - Brad Johnson, 9th rd
    - Jay Fielder, undrafted
    - Chris Chandler, 3rd rd
    - Rob Johnson, 4th rd
    - Trent Green, 8th rd
    - Jeff Blake, 6th rd
    - Gus Frerotte, 7th rd
    - Aaron Brooks, 4th rd
    - Doug Pederson, undrafted

Now let's compare that to this year's starting QBs (besides that dinosaur Brady) who were drafted in the 3rd rd or later:
    - Kirk Cousins, 4th rd
    - Dak Prescott, 4th rd
    - Taylor Heinicke, undrafted
    - Russell Wilson, 3rd rd
    - Tyrod Taylor, 6th rd

That's it. Heinicke is an injury fill-in and Taylor is in only because their 1st rd QB, DeShaun Watson, is off the grid. But in 2000, lower rd, non-prospect QBs were actively pursued. I suppose a major reason for that was back then many college programs didn't give two shits about the NFL and only cared about winning, and so they didn't employ NFL-style offenses, which made scouting legit QB prospects a major undertaking. And many QBs from that era were 1st rounders only because they were an "NFL type" from one of the few NFL style offenses.

NFL teams back then seemed content to fill out their draft and just take some dart throws on some QBs, and if they hit, fantastic. Most missed. The 1997 NFL Draft, for instance, had 10 QBs taken (just ONE in Rd 1), and only ONE worked out - Jake Plummer. Those aren't good odds. No wonder teams took RBs high -- the hit rate was much, much better.

Comment

Alvin Kamara OUT

Comment

Antonio Brown suspended three games for using a fugazy vaccination card

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
          Antonio Brown suspended three games for using a fugazy vaccination card
          Interesting when compared to Aaron Rodgers

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
            You don't need the Rodgers Rate, they offer everyone surprisingly great rates on fake vaccination cards !
            ---------------------------------------------
            Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
            ---------------------------------------------
            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Antonio Brown is a habitual "league policy" violator. Where as, i think Aaron Rodgers is viewed as a first time offender. Thus, the leniency for Rodgers.
              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                Antonio Brown is a habitual "league policy" violator. Where as, i think Aaron Rodgers is viewed as a first time offender. Thus, the leniency for Rodgers.
                What about the other 2 TB players who also got 3 games?

Three players of color vs the ultimate white dude.

Rodgers was every bit as egregious in his deception as Brown.

The league has a color issue, Gruden was a symptom, the disease is league wide.
                If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                  What about the other 2 TB players who also got 3 games?

Three players of color vs the ultimate white dude.

Rodgers was every bit as egregious in his deception as Brown.

The league has a color issue, Gruden was a symptom, the disease is league wide.
                  While the league may well have a color issue, I don't think this one is the example. There's a very important distinction here - while Rodgers lied to the public, he did not lie to the league - he clearly disclosed that he underwent an alternate treatment, was denied an exemption, and informed the league that he was not vaxxed. So both the league and the Packers knew Rodgers was not vaxxed. Now, Rodgers clearly violated the interaction protocols - many times.

The three TB players submitted forged documents to the league AND lied about their vaccination status to the league. They then also violated the interaction protocols many times.

So, I'd agree Rodgers got off light. However, I don't agree that he should have had as severe of a fine/suspension as the three TB players. To paraphrase one of my favorite movies "Fraud is a felony".
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

AB's lawyer continues to insist that he was vaccinated. So I don't understand what exactly is going on here.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                      AB's lawyer continues to insist that he was vaccinated. So I don't understand what exactly is going on here.
                      I guess it's possible both are true, that he initially was skeptical and got a fake card and that he subsequently was vaccinated

Comment

I guess it's possible both are true, that he initially was skeptical and got a fake card and that he subsequently was vaccinated
                        He had to miss 10 games in protocol, that means he was unvaccinated. Otherwise he could have returned after two negative tests.

As for the distinction, it it at the very least a preferential treatment issue. Why does he get to use alternative methods? Does anyone else?

It might not be color in this instance but until the league starts forcing racist owners to sell their teams I'll always look at the color issue when inequitable treatment is in play.
                        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Taysom Hill tore a tendon in his finger and likely needs surgery. Buh bye.

JD McKissic OUT

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                            He had to miss 10 games in protocol, that means he was unvaccinated. Otherwise he could have returned after two negative tests.

As for the distinction, it it at the very least a preferential treatment issue. Why does he get to use alternative methods? Does anyone else?

It might not be color in this instance but until the league starts forcing racist owners to sell their teams I'll always look at the color issue when inequitable treatment is in play.
                            You may have misread my post, I was referring to AB, and also I agree with what you are saying above and in fact I'm the one who brought up the inequality in this thread

Comment

"He screws up one time, he's gone." - Bruce Arians, discussing Antonio Brown back in October 2020
                              More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Working...
                              X