Common Read Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Common Read Suggestions

I am chairing my university's first-year common read book selection committee. I was on this committee last year and it ended up being the biggest time sink of any committee I've been on, because we had no guidance for a topic, so we ended up starting with a really wide net and it took us months and many meetings to narrow things down. This year, I asked for a topic or two to start with, and the Provost have given me the following: the use and misuse of social media OR evaluating the reliability of information in the digital age.

I have a few titles in mind already, and I'm sure the other committee members will have lots of ideas. But I wanted to ask the pen if you have read anything great in one of these two areas that you would like to recommend. One thing I am wary of is picking something controversial. Last year, we settled on Conditional Citizens: On Belong in America and we got a lot of push back from parents when their kids were mailed their copy about it being biased and inappropriate (it had a couple of graphic descriptions). So, that makes me wary of one book I have on my read list: Calling Bullshit: The Art of Skepticism in a Data-Driven World. But it does look good and accessible to first-year students. Anyone have any recommendations?

I dont have any suggestions but I would be interested in the titles you select, so can you post them in this thread after you decide? Thanx.

Comment

Will do. I have only begun looking, but here are a few I plan on looking at more closely before bringing them to the group:

The Hype Machine
      How Social Media Disrupts Our Elections, Our Economy, and Our Health--and How We Must Adapt
      Sinan Aral

Irresistible
      The Rise of Addictive Technology and the Business of Keeping Us Hooked

So You've Been Publicly Shamed
      Jon Ronson
      978-0-698-17252-4

I like Ronson's youtube videos, so I am hopeful that one is a good read, at least.

Comment

Nate Silver’s The Signal and The Noise
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
          Nate Silver’s The Signal and The Noise
          It is a good one. I should have specified that the powers that be preference recent publications. Anything more than five years old won't get approved. Also, first year students don't like to read, so anything over 500 pages would be axed too.

Comment

Working...
          X