HS football 106-0...yikes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HS football 106-0...yikes!

Wow. Not sure what that 2 point last play was about.

Can you fire a coach for winning by too much?

Link not working, but for a non-pro game played by kids, I think that final score is ridiculous. It becomes more or less egregious depending on how it got to there. By half time, I hope all of the starters were rested and all the bench kids got a shot to play. After that, if the bench is still obliterating them, once you get up 6 tds in the second half (thus, exceeding the total of the largest comebacks in football history, so no risk of losing), if there is no mercy rule, I think you have to just give up on passing to run the game clock out ASAP.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
      Link not working, but for a non-pro game played by kids, I think that final score is ridiculous. It becomes more or less egregious depending on how it got to there. By half time, I hope all of the starters were rested and all the bench kids got a shot to play. After that, if the bench is still obliterating them, once you get up 6 tds in the second half (thus, exceeding the total of the largest comebacks in football history, so no risk of losing), if there is no mercy rule, I think you have to just give up on passing to run the game clock out ASAP.
      I think I read about this. The starting QB is a UCLA commit and stayed in to throw 13 TD passes. I just looked and it was 59-0 after 1.

Comment

It was 104-0 with no time left. They completed a two point conversion for the final 106-0 final.

Should the coach be fired?

Comment

The link doesnt work because a "subscribe" ad comes up and if you dont, you wont see the article. The score was 59-0 after the first quarter. They have a rule where the coaches can agree to either use a "running clock" or simply end the game early but the winning coach refused. They also went for a 2-pt conversion on their last TD! The principal of the school issued an apology. Let's just say the coach made a serious error in judgment.

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post
            The link doesnt work because a "subscribe" ad comes up and if you dont, you wont see the article. The score was 59-0 after the first quarter. They have a rule where the coaches can agree to either use a "running clock" or simply end the game early but the winning coach refused. They also went for a 2-pt conversion on their last TD! The principal of the school issued an apology. Let's just say the coach made a serious error in judgment.
            If the losing team asked for the mercy rule and the winning coach refused and proceeded to coach his team to 104 pt victory, then yes, he should be fired. He thinks he is the coach or the Patriots when he is supposed to be the coach to kids.

Comment

Originally posted by umjewman View Post
              I think I read about this. The starting QB is a UCLA commit and stayed in to throw 13 TD passes. I just looked and it was 59-0 after 1.
              Maybe the coach has his QB in his local high school fantasy league.

Comment

If the losing team asked for the mercy rule and the winning coach refused and proceeded to coach his team to 104 pt victory, then yes, he should be fired. He thinks he is the coach or the Patriots when he is supposed to be the coach to kids.
                It does seem like there is more to the story than what I read. Some type of bad blood towards the other coach?

Comment

Maybe the coach has his QB in his local high school fantasy league.
                  Close...

"Inglewood High’s head coach, 36-year-old Mil’Von James, played college football at UCLA"

Comment

I was on the losing end of a lot of lopsided games when I coached my kids in elementary school basketball (apparently I'm a horrible coach,lol). At league meetings they emphasized that coaches needed to be aware of this and not run up the scored. Not just against my team. Anyway, it's hard to imagine the mindset of a coach that would just humiliate another team like this. I don't think they have any place coaching high school kids, or any other kids.
                    ---------------------------------------------
                    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                    ---------------------------------------------
                    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Ha, most of my family went to Morningside High, the team that got annihilated. I have no idea how their football teams were back in the day but I do know they were state champs in basketball (led by Beach Boy brother and eventual NBA player Stan Love, father of Kevin Love).
                      More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                        I was on the losing end of a lot of lopsided games when I coached my kids in elementary school basketball (apparently I'm a horrible coach,lol). At league meetings they emphasized that coaches needed to be aware of this and not run up the scored. Not just against my team. Anyway, it's hard to imagine the mindset of a coach that would just humiliate another team like this. I don't think they have any place coaching high school kids, or any other kids.
                        I was getting really pissed earlier this year during my son's baseball game. We were losing like 14-1 or something like that and the other team was still stealing third (which is permitted at this level, but basically a free base - they didn't have to encourage the kids to keep stealing third). Not to mention that there is a 5-run limit on scoring per inning, so we mathematically could not come back and win. I also had to deal with parents on my own team saying that an umpire calling a hit a ground rule double was BULLSHIT. Why you feel the need to scream bullshit at a 3rd and 4th grade baseball game is beyond me. I think they were suggesting that I should have gone and argued with the teenager who was umping. Basically what I learned is parents are largely crazy and way too competitive about youth sports.

Comment

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                          Ha, most of my family went to Morningside High, the team that got annihilated. I have no idea how their football teams were back in the day but I do know they were state champs in basketball (led by Beach Boy brother and eventual NBA player Stan Love, father of Kevin Love).
                          They can cry about bad sportsmanship all they want, Morningside is the HS where Lisa Leslie scored 101 points in 16 minutes of play and caused the other team to quit at half-time.

I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                            They can cry about bad sportsmanship all they want, Morningside is the HS where Lisa Leslie scored 101 points in 16 minutes of play and caused the other team to quit at half-time.

https://www.247liveculture.com/sport...gh-school-game
                            Ha, suck it Inglewood High (and you too, South Torrance)! Morningside 4 Lyfe.
                            More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

My high school team lost our homecoming game 70-0. We were down 49-0 at the half and then "only" lost 21-0 to their backups in the second half.

Comment

Working...
                              X