Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What to do with Verlander?

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    Back to Rodon. I am kind of hoping the Cubs take a hard look at him. What would two years at $10m look like?
    Feels extremely light both on years and $. I would bet if you doubled your years and your AAV you'd be closer. 4/$80m?

Welcome to the Big Leagues, Kid pitbull's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by madducks View Post
    The Astros will pay Verlander $25 million in 2022. They must think that he is still an elite pitcher. Maybe he still is.
    I don't think he will produce elite stats but I do think he will be a productive pitcher. As far as fantasy goes you can't do better as far as salary goes for $1 so it a very worthwhile gamble. Also I believe that he will be bid on in most auctions $20-$25 because of his name and the team he plays on. Also it pays to draft Astros pitchers. Got Valdez, Urquidy and Garcia last season.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by madducks View Post
    The Astros will pay Verlander $25 million in 2022. They must think that he is still an elite pitcher. Maybe he still is.
    There is a second year player option as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    There is a second year player option as well.
    That's what really surprised me. I can see a 1-year deal, even at $25 MM, for Verlander. But to be on the hook for another $25 MM? Wow.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by chancellor View Post
    That's what really surprised me. I can see a 1-year deal, even at $25 MM, for Verlander. But to be on the hook for another $25 MM? Wow.
    Yeah, it makes me reevaluate him. I regret tossing him in as a throw in late in the season to get Morton. He is being paid like a near ace. Big investment like that shows confidence from a team that is generally cautious.

Class A
    Quote Originally Posted by Sour Masher View Post
    Yeah, it makes me reevaluate him. I regret tossing him in as a throw in late in the season to get Morton. He is being paid like a near ace. Big investment like that shows confidence from a team that is generally cautious.
    Real baseball is different than fantasy. First off the MLB needs dudes who can throw innings so even if he's got a mid 4s ERA he'll still be a very useful MLB pitcher. Secondly, they have much larger rosters so even if he does implode or get reinjured they have replacements. The Astros also only signed him to a 1 year deal so there's not a ton of risk on their side. Don't forget they also don't need to worry about cutting him if he's having a terrible first half like you would as fantasy manager. They can just let him pitch through it or manipulate his innings. There's also the intangable qualities he can bring a to real baseball team that we can't measure.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmallz View Post
    Real baseball is different than fantasy. First off the MLB needs dudes who can throw innings so even if he's got a mid 4s ERA he'll still be a very useful MLB pitcher. Secondly, they have much larger rosters so even if he does implode or get reinjured they have replacements. The Astros also only signed him to a 1 year deal so there's not a ton of risk on their side. Don't forget they also don't need to worry about cutting him if he's having a terrible first half like you would as fantasy manager. They can just let him pitch through it or manipulate his innings. There's also the intangable qualities he can bring a to real baseball team that we can't measure.
    You make some good points. I would consider these as well.

There is a second year player option (not mutual) So the risk is $50M.

Any one that plays in a league with a reserve roster and/or FAAB will be able to fill in the Verlander slot with a good MR if needed.

I have to think that most keeper leagues have Verlander at a cheap cost relative to their leagues value. He should be entering into his second or B contract at that cheap price. In my case he is a $1B. He not only is a no brainer keeper for me, he is an exciting one.

I might not be willing to pay what he would go for if he was back in the auction, I doubt he will be back in most auction/keeper formats.

Down the river ..................from PNC Park
    Yeah, $50 million over 2 years = whole helluva lot of risk.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein