No announcement yet.

What to do with Verlander?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USA Today's Bob Nightengale reports that the White Sox are showing "strong interest" in Justin Verlander.
    There has now been confirmed interest from the Yankees, Blue Jays, Braves, and Tigers, to go along with the reigning American League Central champions. And the Astros are expected to make a serious play to retain the veteran right-hander beyond the one-year, $18.4 million qualifying offer that they extended to him earlier this month. Verlander seems likely to have a new deal in place before Thanksgiving.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
      How big are your rosters!!??
      The biggest rosters, the biggest best rosters in the world.
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

How big are your rosters!!??
        Obviously there's 1001 pitcher spots

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
          Obviously there's 1001 pitcher spots
          Oh yes but the way he worded it that could be a minimum right?

But if that is the number of pitchers, I think that means 1557 positional players. whoa they go de-eep.

Comment

Oh yes but the way he worded it that could be a minimum right?

But if that is the number of pitchers, I think that means 1557 positional players. whoa they go de-eep.
            It's okay, you can draft the players over and over. Really it's just a shallow league where everyone starts all the Ohtanis

Comment

USA Today's Bob Nightengale reports that the White Sox are showing "strong interest" in Justin Verlander.
              There has now been confirmed interest from the Yankees, Blue Jays, Braves, and Tigers, to go along with the reigning American League Central champions. And the Astros are expected to make a serious play to retain the veteran right-hander beyond the one-year, $18.4 million qualifying offer that they extended to him earlier this month. Verlander seems likely to have a new deal in place before Thanksgiving.
              Does it disturb any Rodon owners out there that the WS did not make Rodon an offer and are pursuing Verlander? Is it safe to assume they think Verlander represents less risk?

Comment

Resigning with the Astros and there is my $1 pitcher.

Comment

Originally posted by pitbull View Post
                  Resigning with the Astros and there is my $1 pitcher.
                  The Astros will pay Verlander $25 million in 2022. They must think that he is still an elite pitcher. Maybe he still is.
                  “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                    The Astros will pay Verlander $25 million in 2022. They must think that he is still an elite pitcher. Maybe he still is.
                    yeah, some people consider the possibility that he could be really good this year.
                    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                      Does it disturb any Rodon owners out there that the WS did not make Rodon an offer and are pursuing Verlander? Is it safe to assume they think Verlander represents less risk?
                      I am not a Rodon owner.

The local sports radio shows seem to think that Rodon's arm is not worthy of keeping him.

Then regarding Verlander; how hard did the WS and others really go after him. It certainly was known that the $18m 1 year was not going to get it done. What did those speculative offers look like?

Back to Rodon. I am kind of hoping the Cubs take a hard look at him. What would two years at $10m look like?

Comment

Back to Rodon. I am kind of hoping the Cubs take a hard look at him. What would two years at $10m look like?
                        Feels extremely light both on years and $. I would bet if you doubled your years and your AAV you'd be closer. 4/$80m?

Comment

I don't think he will produce elite stats but I do think he will be a productive pitcher. As far as fantasy goes you can't do better as far as salary goes for $1 so it a very worthwhile gamble. Also I believe that he will be bid on in most auctions $20-$25 because of his name and the team he plays on. Also it pays to draft Astros pitchers. Got Valdez, Urquidy and Garcia last season.

Comment

There is a second year player option as well.

Comment

There is a second year player option as well.
                              That's what really surprised me. I can see a 1-year deal, even at $25 MM, for Verlander. But to be on the hook for another $25 MM? Wow.
                              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                                That's what really surprised me. I can see a 1-year deal, even at $25 MM, for Verlander. But to be on the hook for another $25 MM? Wow.
                                Yeah, it makes me reevaluate him. I regret tossing him in as a throw in late in the season to get Morton. He is being paid like a near ace. Big investment like that shows confidence from a team that is generally cautious.

Comment

Working...
                                X