No announcement yet.

What to do with Verlander?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Justin Verlander exercised the opt-out clause in his contract with the Astros.

He leaves a one-year, $25 million deal on the table in search of a bigger payday. He will turn 40 years old just before the start of spring training.

How much money and how many years will he get?
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
      Justin Verlander exercised the opt-out clause in his contract with the Astros.

He leaves a one-year, $25 million deal on the table in search of a bigger payday. He will turn 40 years old just before the start of spring training.

How much money and how many years will he get?
      Two years 40 each with a mutual option 3rd year.

Comment

Jon Heyman of the New York Post reports that Justin Verlander is seeking a three-year, $130 million contract. The Astros, Dodgers, Mets, and Yankees are thought to be the top four contenders to sign him.
        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

To the Mets 2 years $86 million with a vesting option for year 3.

Comment

A pitcher who turns 40 years old in 2 months and the Mets training staff - insert joke here.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
              A pitcher who turns 40 years old in 2 months and the Mets training staff - insert joke here.

It seems crazy, but that soon to be 40 year old is a much better bet to stay healthy than the generational pitcher they just let walk.

Comment

I wonder if Verlander will still be able to accumulate wins with the Mets at the same rate that he did with the Astros. The Astros, Dodgers, and Yankees all seemed to be better landing spots for achieving his goal of 300 career wins.

deGrom, during his last five seasons with the Mets, only won 37 of 102 starts (645.1 IP), despite having great numbers.

Verlander, during his five seasons with the Astros, won 61 of 102 starts (652 IP).

― Albert Einstein

Comment

I wonder if Verlander will still be able to accumulate wins with the Mets at the same rate that he did with the Astros. The Astros, Dodgers, and Yankees all seemed to be better landing spots for achieving his goal of 300 career wins. deGrom, during his last five seasons with the Mets, only won 37 of 102 starts (645.1 IP), despite having great numbers. Verlander, during his five seasons with the Astros, won 61 of 102 starts (652 IP).

I don't think that comparison is useful. The mets won ~85% of the games that the Astros won over that time period. Sure there's a dropoff, but not anything like 61 vs 37. deGrom was unlucky - suggesting that the Mets could lose more often in deGrom's games vs other starters based on a repeatable skillset doesn't really make sense to me.

Maybe it's just correlated to bad relief pitching - is that actually the case though? Diaz is a pretty good for one.

Comment

Am I correct in thinking Verlander has no QO / draft pick tied to him - unlike DeGrom?

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
                      Am I correct in thinking Verlander has no QO / draft pick tied to him - unlike DeGrom?
                      Correct, Verlander wasn't eligible for a QO because he was offered one last year

Comment

Ugh. Mets placed Justin Verlander on the 15-day IL, retroactive to March 27, with a low grade teres major strain.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Ugh. Mets placed Justin Verlander on the 15-day IL, retroactive to March 27, with a low grade teres major strain.

Auction tonight. I wonder what kind of discount this news brings.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post

Auction tonight. I wonder what kind of discount this news brings.
                            Should be at least 40%. Personally I expect him to miss two months. And it’s not like he is young to begin with. If you’re not getting that kind of discount (which is approximately the discount I’ve heard from friends in very recent auctions) I would pass.

Comment

He was dropped in my AFA league. A lot of these owners don't understand how IL spots work. At any rate, how much would you FAAB?

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                              Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                              Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

AFA… NL only or both leagues? 5x5? Need more
                                color on parameters. Sorry am I supposed to know what AFA is?

Comment

Working...
                                X