Societal Collapse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    I agree with you on a lot. Not sure why you are afraid to answer the simple questions I asked. To be fair, I guess you sort of answered one of them.

EDIT: 1) do you think Trump made an effort to subvert legitimate elections in the last election? 2) Do you think it is a legitimate concern that he/Republicans will try to subvert/steal future elections ?

Did he knowingly try to overturn an election ? Were his actions anti-Democratic or illegal ?
    1) Yes
    2) Yes
    3) Yes
    4) Yes - his criminal actions make Richard Nixon look like a choirboy

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
      It has been a long time between impacts (the last one and the next one). How do you suppose we have made it this long? Given history it could be thousand of years or maybe millions right?
      this is a good question. I was always under the impression that the really big, planet level extinction events happened with some chronological regularity but I never really looked. so lets look.

445 Million Years Ago: Ordovician Extinction: (2nd biggest extinction)
      the earliest known mass extinction, eliminating up to 60% of all life (including viruses) and up to 85% of marine species. most complex life lived in the sea. the oceans were depleted of oxygen. I think they consider it in two parts that lasted 40 million years. the earth went from being in a warm greenhouse state to an ice age. i think they say when it ended, earth fully recovered in 5 million years. it's thought the supercontinent Gondwana moved south and caused sea levels to rise and drop over millions of years destroying habitats. other culprits include volcanos, there was a drop in C02 from 7,000 ppm to 4,400 ppm. so I don't know. or it could've been a gamma ray burst as the initial deaths were from organisms near the surface. such a burst would instantaneously strip half the ozone layer of the earth exposing life to extreme UV. another theory is toxic metals on the sea floor dissolved in in the ocean killing things lower on the food chain like plankton resulting in starvation for the higher food chain guys. I don't see impact cited, but it can't be ruled out either.

370 Million Years Ago: Late Devonian Extinction (75 million yrs later):
      they say this one lasted up to 25 million years and is also considered in two parts. some consider it to have 7 parts. this one also had a depletion of oxygen in the ocean and mostly only affected marine invertebrate life. the supercontinent Pangaea was starting to form. possible explanations range from asteroid impact -Siljan Ring in Sweden dates around then, and is one of the 15 biggest known impact craters on earth with a diameter of 32mi. this one also had loss of ozone, volcanic activity and possibly tectonic-driven climate change. a supernova or gamma ray burst has also been proposed.

252 Million Years Ago: Permian-Triassic Extinction (the big one, 115 million yrs later):
      killed off up or between 80-95% marine species and 70% land species. containing some of the similar feature of the previous extinction events, yet, because these events were so long ago it's hard to say. possible causes are asteroid impact, volcanoes, gases from the sea floor.

201 Million Years Ago: Triassic-Jurassic Extinction (50 years later):
      30% marine life died, and whatever was the competitor to dinosaurs was killed off, allowing dinosaurs to become the dominant land animal for the next 135 million years. many large impact craters are found around that period.

66 Million Years Ago: Cretaceous-Paleogene Extinction (135 million years later):
      75 percent of species were lost.

in summary, I was looking for a pattern of every 60-75 million years there is a mass extinction and it's not there. I wanted to say maybe there is an large dark object with a very large wacky 70 to 120 million year orbit around the sun that disrupts the Kuiper belt and or the Oort cloud. if the big 5 extinction events are due to impacts this would be the culprit. something disturbs it and things start flying inward toward us. I didn't believe in there being an unseen planet doing this, but after pretending to take the planet X or planet 9 theory seriously, it can't be ruled out. there are real scientists that take the idea seriously.

Comment

in Star Trek lingo they would say Voyager 2 performed a Klingon maneuver by Uranus.

Comment

a human lifespan is 80ish years; I don't think it's possible to truly conceive of what ten thousand years is - let alone one hundred of those back to back (ie. one million years)
          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
            a human lifespan is 80ish years; I don't think it's possible to truly conceive of what ten thousand years is - let alone one hundred of those back to back (ie. one million years)
            or to put into shape what countless species has endured over half a billion years to build up to the triumph of today, with a handful of self-aware animals -and in the blink of an eye, in astronomical terms, can be lost; in millions of years of biological work, where each broad shoulder from the past we lean on and grow from, puts our current struggles into perspective.

“For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.” Ephesians 6:12

Comment

Originally posted by nullnor View Post
              “For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.” Ephesians 6:12
              "Do the Right Thing" Spike Lee 19:89
              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                "Do the Right Thing" Spike Lee 19:89

Comment

Comment

it's like 5 degrees out right now. the cats have been really good lately, it's what i like about cold weather, herding cats is hard. yet, they lived outside for 2 or more years before me. they must've seen days like this. it's funny watching them when the weather drops below 30, they are like fuck that shit. if they don't come back soon i'm gonna have to go look for them.

Comment

• Originally posted by nullnor View Post
                      Radio Raheem was played by Pittsburgh native Bill Nunn III. His father, is Pro Football HOFer Bill Nunn Jr., who worked for over 40 years as a scout for the Pittsburgh Steelers and won 6 Super Bowl rings. He was a huge part of turning the Steelers into a dynasty during the 1970's by discovering players from traditionally black colleges when other teams were ignoring them. It was at these black colleges that Nunn discovered Hall of Famers John Stallworth, Donnie Shell, and Mel Blount.

His grandfather, Bill Nunn Sr., was the managing editor of the now defunct Pittsburgh Courier. The Courier was one of the most influential black newspapers in the country.
                      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
                        Radio Raheem was played by Pittsburgh native Bill Nunn III. His father, is Pro Football HOFer Bill Nunn Jr., who worked for over 40 years as a scout for the Pittsburgh Steelers and won 6 Super Bowl rings. He was a huge part of turning the Steelers into a dynasty during the 1970's by discovering players from traditionally black colleges when other teams were ignoring them. It was at these black colleges that Nunn discovered Hall of Famers John Stallworth, Donnie Shell, and Mel Blount.

His grandfather, Bill Nunn Sr., was the managing editor of the now defunct Pittsburgh Courier. The Courier was one of the most influential black newspapers in the country.
                        The Bears must have taken a page out of his book. 1975 they drafted Walter Payton with their first round #4 pick out of Jackson State University. Walter always treated his fans with the idea he would give them something to remember.
                        Last edited by Gregg; 01-12-2022, 03:46 PM.

Comment

• happy birthday to madducks, you're still young dude.

Comment

• Originally posted by nullnor View Post
                            happy birthday to madducks, you're still young dude.
                            Thanks Nully!
                            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                              I was surprised nobody brought this up when it was in the news a month ago.

A 1972 study from MIT modeled projected growth of Capitalism leading to environmental collapse. It was largely derided and not taken seriously at the time, but new analysis shows the study has proven shockingly accurate 50 years in. Less than 20 years until societal collapse makes total sense to me. I had sort of projected this myself, thinking about what happens when these reports saying we have 12 years to change course as a civilization, now less than 10 years, age into "well, people of earth. You're all condemned to lives of misery in a dying world where the rich have siphoned all the money to the top." Why would any 20 something go to work in that rigged system?

I believe what Chris Hedges said recently is correct. He said that AOC and leftist politicians will never be the answer to our problems. They're merely ineffectual pawns promoting Democracy while showcasing its utter failures. I believe the way forward is public protest. Occupy X 10 or times a hundred. That's the only thing that makes politicians side with people over corporate interests. It's an eventuality, I think. So the quicker we get there, the better our chances, or our children's chances more accurately.

Terrifying world to live in. Hard to think about having kids right now. I've been getting feelings when I see parents with young kids, and my wife is 37, so our time to decide is ending. But its starting to look more like an apocalypse buddy situation.

“This is not an end. It is a beginning. You will need the courage of a lion to face this journey.”

- Erin Hunter.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                                That's one example more than you can provide. See, you can talk about feelz and words and stuff, but only one individual has gone armed with a submachine gun and intentionally targeted, shot, and nearly killed sitting members of the House and Senate. Only one individual was found to have committed an act of domestic terrorism against sitting members of the House and Senate. And that was a Trump-hating Bernie Bro.

Rittenhouse? Not even close. Wasn't even charged with anything resembling domestic terrorism. I mean, if you want to go there, let's talk Seattle's CHOP and the two kids killed there. And all the left-wingers walking around with long rifles. Or why Rittenhouse was even in Kenosha at all.
                                Didn't see a Rittenhouse thread so piggy-backed the first one I found. But, man, not sure I like this guy very much:

More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Working...
                                X