Talk About a Change for me.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk About a Change for me.....

My mom decided to move in with us. She lives in Florida, but is 80 and a widow, and wants to do something before it's too late. So (apparently) I had offered her this option a few years ago, and in June, she called me to accept. Since then, we've been busy building out an unfinished room that I had used for firewood and machinery to be her new bedroom, and we've expanded our backyard shed for more storage space. She sold her house and moves in here on Sept 16th.

Then yesterday, unfortunately my mother-in-law suddenly passed away. Came totally out of nowhere. She was healthy and fit, and had a heart attack or stroke. Terrible. Just 71 years old.

This morning, my wife asked if her father can ALSO move in, at least on a temporary basis. He's also 71, in marginal health and really can't take care of himself. He's also going to now be selling off all his assets including his house, which my wife will be helping him with. He's going to take the upstairs guest bedroom.

Crazy times.

Good luck - I still have both my parents and could be facing some different situations in the future.

Comment

You got this Ed, if anyone can handle it--it's you.

Good luck.
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I've said it before... You're a good egg Ed.
        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Wow...all the best!
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Wow! Now that's a full house. Best of luck to you Revo.
            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Now if any RJers or their parents want in on the Revo Retirement Home, act now! Space is very limited!

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                Now if any RJers or their parents want in on the Revo Retirement Home, act now! Space is very limited!
                If only...I'd be sending my mother your way now!

Comment

The retired couple who lives behind me has a small trailer about 30 feet away from their house with one of their mom's (90's) living in it. They built a little porch next to the trailer with a porch swing on it. She's always sitting there on that porch swing. She seems to enjoy that.
                  “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                    If only...I'd be sending my mother your way now!
                    And my mother in law.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                      And my mother in law.
                      My MIL is coming up for a month next week....since the pandemic sort of forced retirement on her, that has been a frequent thing. But luckily I get along with her pretty well. I got lucky in the in-law department, but not the biological mother department. I'd eat Ramen noodle for life if the choice comes to moving her in vs paying for her to go to assisted living.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                        My MIL is coming up for a month next week....since the pandemic sort of forced retirement on her, that has been a frequent thing. But luckily I get along with her pretty well. I got lucky in the in-law department, but not the biological mother department. I'd eat Ramen noodle for life if the choice comes to moving her in vs paying for her to go to assisted living.
                        I get along great with my MIL, too. But she’s in a two-story house with a basement with walking and balance problems. I’m sure we’re going to find her at the bottom of a set of steps one of these days.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                          I get along great with my MIL, too. But she’s in a two-story house with a basement with walking and balance problems. I’m sure we’re going to find her at the bottom of a set of steps one of these days.
                          Yeah, that is no bueno. You don't think about how dangerous stairs our when you can use them easily. If you ever wanna feel weak and helpless, try climbing them with just your arms, no legs. I am trying to get back in shape, and thought I could at least get up a few of them at this point. I could not do it facing forward. I could do it backward using the triceps, but that would have taken me a long time. Either way, facing stairs up or down with balance issues or weak legs is a daunting task.

Comment

Taking care of parents is a labor of love. It can be very rewarding and taxing.

As someone who does a lot with caregivers. Just a reminder to make sure you and your wife take time for yourselves. Caregiving can be very hard both physically and emotionally. Rally your troops and get family and friends involved.

Sorry for the loss of your mother-in-law.
                            "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                            - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                            - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
                              Taking care of parents is a labor of love. It can be very rewarding and taxing.

As someone who does a lot with caregivers. Just a reminder to make sure you and your wife take time for yourselves. Caregiving can be very hard both physically and emotionally. Rally your troops and get family and friends involved.

Sorry for the loss of your mother-in-law.
                              Thank you very much.

I think we're going to be less 'caregivers' and more 'proprietors.' We'll feed them and help them if need be, but they both want to stay very independent.

My father in law's situation is fluid -- he was going to move into one of the apartments he owns in Brooklyn, but is now looking to buy a townhouse near us. He still will be with us for awhile until everything settles down.

Comment

Working...
                              X