Topps out in Sports Card Shakeup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Topps out in Sports Card Shakeup

Fanatics has shocked the sports card world, winning exclusive rights to MLB, NFL & NBA trading cards. Panini, which had the NBA rights, is out after 12 years, and Topps is out as the MLB provider after more than 70 years.

Major League Baseball and the Major League Baseball Players Association are ending their agreement with Topps in favor of one with Fanatics, an upstart sports collectible company.

never should have stopped adding gum.
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Looks like they've bottomed out.
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Seriously though, it's sad to see them go. Topps always seemed to try to represent the hobby and market their product toward collectors. Both have become nearly extinct over the last few decades and the hobby has been replaced by the market and the collectors have been replaced by the investors/speculators. The newer card companies catered to this new type of consumer while Topps tried to hold onto tradition a little too long.

I wonder if Topps could stay alive by producing minor league baseball cards and collegiate sports cards. There could be a market for selling these team sets at ballparks, stadiums, and arenas. Plus online sales.
        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

It's just amazing. Topps was planning on announcing they were going public through a SPAC this week -- and now they literally have NOTHING to sell. And they were caught totally off guard, as in they literally did not have a clue this was going to happen.

I haven't seen a company implode this quickly since My Pillow.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
            It's just amazing. Topps was planning on announcing they were going public through a SPAC this week -- and now they literally have NOTHING to sell. And they were caught totally off guard, as in they literally did not have a clue this was going to happen.

My small company is actually one of the big players in the SPAC market, at one point I think we may have been the most heavily invested in SPACs. That market dried up as quickly as it exploded though.

*** checking my SPAC app for our trading history ***

We did NOT buy Mudrick II. Whew.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
              My small company is actually one of the big players in the SPAC market, at one point I think we may have been the most heavily invested in SPACs. That market dried up as quickly as it exploded though.

*** checking my SPAC app for our trading history ***

We did NOT buy Mudrick II. Whew.
              Stop saying SPAC!

Comment

Garbage pail kids?

Comment

Imagine making a big investment in that IPO if it happened a month earlier.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                    Imagine making a big investment in that IPO if it happened a month earlier.
                    They were only announcing they were going public, probably wouldn’t have been for a few months. Still, Mudrick Capital would’ve taken a bath.

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                      Garbage pail kids?
                      I absolutely loved those cards as a kid.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                        I absolutely loved those cards as a kid.
                        What were the ones that were product or marketing parodies? I remember one for Stove Glop Stuffing or something like that.

Comment

What were the ones that were product or marketing parodies? I remember one for Stove Glop Stuffing or something like that.
                          wacky packages ?
                          ---------------------------------------------
                          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                            wacky packages ?
                            yep... I remember them being much more subversive to my pre-teen self.

Comment

yep... I remember them being much more subversive to my pre-teen self.
                              you were subverted ?
                              Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                              X