Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the farthest you've been in each direction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the farthest you've been in each direction?

I saw this on Twitter, thought it was an interesting question.

For me...
    North: Bergen, Norway
    South: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    East: Charyn Canyon, Kazakhstan
    West: Muir Woods, Mill Valley, California
    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

North: circa Husavik, Iceland
    South: circa Dunedin, New Zealand
    East: Dover, England
    West: Himeji, Japan (or is this east? Well, I travelled west to get there )

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
      I saw this on Twitter, thought it was an interesting question.

For me...
      North: Bergen, Norway
      South: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
      East: Charyn Canyon, Kazakhstan
      West: Muir Woods, Mill Valley, California
      What was it like in Kazakhstan? I heard that the current ruler renamed the capital after himself. Talk about ego.

Comment

Hmmmm.....

North - Quebec City, Quebec
        South - Cancun, Mexico
        East - Halifax, Nova Scotia
        West - Honolulu, Hawaii

EDIT - forgot about Nova Scotia. Don't tell my wife, as we got engaged there, lol.

Comment

North: Whistler, BC, Canada
          South: Oranjestad, Aruba
          East: Bar Harbor, Maine
          West: Maui, Hawaii
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post
            What was it like in Kazakhstan? I heard that the current ruler renamed the capital after himself. Talk about ego.
            It was interesting. My brother lived there at the time. It was an interesting combination of East and West--the Asian history but with European influence from a couple centuries of Russian/Soviet colonialism. It was also beautiful in Almaty where we were, right up against the Tien Shan mountains. It's a different world, for sure, bartering for stuff in the bazaar and traffic rules are a suggestion at best.
            "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

North: London?
              South: Either Queenstown or Dunedin, New Zealand (can't tell which is further south)
              East: Bali, Indonesia (although I think eastern Australia is technically further east)
              West: Kauai, Hawaii

Err, Fiji may be either the furthest west (or east) I've been. This stuff is all relative, man!!!!
              Edit 2: Wait, maybe Thailand is further east?
              Edit 3: Apparently Amsterdam is further north than London. So I guess I need a do over.
              Last edited by Bene Futuis; 08-22-2021, 06:32 PM.
              More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

This is still a work in progress lol.

North: Canton, Ohio (Pro Football HOF)
                South: Miami, Florida
                East: New York City, New York
                West: Chicago, Illinois

Wow, this is embarrassing lol. All of these are from when i was a kid/teenager. I have done almost no traveling as an adult. And i haven't traveled more than one state away in 35 years. I'm hoping to expand my horizons eventually. I think the northern one will be easy to beat if i can make a trip to Canada like i have always wanted to.
                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

OK, I looked things up:

North: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
                  South: Dunedin, New Zealand
                  East: Rotorua, New Zealand (or Denpasar, Bali, Indonesia)
                  West: All those same places in New Zealand, Australia, or Indonesia - it all depends on where you start from, I guess
                  More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Yeah, definitions of east and west are somewhat arbitrary here.

What was New Zealand like? It looked beautiful in Lord of the Rings.

Comment

From where I am based:

North: Looks like it would be Stockholm
                      East: Krakow
                      West: Beijing
                      South: Jamaica

Comment

It looks a LOT like Lord of the Rings, lol. There is a town called Hobbitown, replete with tiny little hovels built into the ground. The south island is not as populated and actually has glaciers (and even penguins and shit!) and the north has the big cities, including Auckland which is like an enormous percentage of the country's population, but also has amazing beaches and even a crazy Yellowstone-esque town of geysers and amazing, colorful mineral pools called Rotorua.

Comment

Yeah, definitions of east and west are somewhat arbitrary here.

It's beautiful. But it is so undeveloped in the countryside that it's like a 3rd world country. Queenstown is overrated tho, IMHO. Lotsa sheep.

Some of my most memorable experiences there were kind of not what you'd expect. On the way to Queenstown, I stopped at a roadside produce stand. They had something called "Black Boy" peaches. It sounded interesting and I like peaches so I got a couple and ate them while I was driving. They were about the most delicious things I've ever tasted. They're purple inside like plums. Never heard of them before or since. It was almost worth the trip to NZ just to taste them. Try to find some if you ever go.

Another memorable thing was on the ferry from North to South Island. The sun set in the middle of the trip and I went out on deck after dark. The stars were out and I asked another guy next to me which one was Alpha Centauri and he pointed it out (very bright star). My first time seeing the closest star to us. Altho I found out later that you can see it from the southern US around midnight around Summer Solstice.

I highly recommend going. They had a redwoods grove near Rotorua, also.

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention several one-lane bridges on the South Island that are used by both trains and cars! You heard me right. They're one-lane only and they have train tracks running down in the middle of the one lane. They're not very long, maybe 2/10s of a mile at most, but I couldnt help thinking about if a slow car entered the bridge while a fast train was coming the other way. Like I said, like a 3rd-world country. This was 1999 so they might have replaced these bridges by now.
                          Last edited by rhd; 08-22-2021, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Well, this is Queenstown (our air bnb we rented), so I thought it was pretty awesome. We also went zip lining, did a Superman swing, rode down the mountain on little cart things, and did all sorts of other outdoor adventures. I thought it was great.

View from the balcony:

dscn1564_6360214647_o.jpg

Comment

Can you not upload multiple pics in one post? Anyway, here's another pic of Queenstown:

Comment

Working...
                              X