The new COVID thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
    What about differences in obesity rate between UK and USA?

UK 37th (28%) and USA is 12th (36%). Not a large % difference, but a difference nonetheless for a grouping that has been hit hard by Covid.

It was one of the motivating factors that got my ass in gear to drop 40 pounds in 2021.
    40 pounds ... that's nearly 3 stone ... well played. I'm trying to drop about 12 pounds over the next month or so. I can't carry weight without feeling awful.

Could very well be a factor. Without any expertise, I'd say prior variants of Covid that attacked the lungs more vigorously would probably be more dangerous for unfit and obese folk. But

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
      cps? Ctu?
      CTU = Counter Terrorism Unit

Haven't you ever seen 24? Duh!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
        Who did you drop it on?
        I think he left it on the pavement when he had the scooter accident.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
          Wow, dropping 40 lbs in a year is a hell of a feat--much respect for that. I had not thought much before that COVID could motivate positive changes like this. I wonder how many others lost some LBs or quit smoking during the pandemic.
          In my text chain with my high school friends the other night when a third friend tested positive for Covid, someone goes:

Friend 1: "Don't worry, you're not obese, almost all of the hospitalizations are people who are obese."

Friend 2: "Shit, nice knowing y'all."

Comment

• Originally posted by umjewman View Post
            I think he left it on the pavement when he had the scooter accident.
            That seems much harder than Atkins!

Comment

• Originally posted by umjewman View Post
              In my text chain with my high school friends the other night when a third friend tested positive for Covid, someone goes:

Friend 1: "Don't worry, you're not obese, almost all of the hospitalizations are people who are obese."

Friend 2: "Shit, nice knowing y'all."
              It sneaks up on you...like a slow moving bear that catches you and stuffs pizza, chips, and deserts down your throat for 20 years. Or at least that was what the bear did to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                It sneaks up on you...like a slow moving bear that catches you and stuffs pizza, chips, and deserts down your throat for 20 years. Or at least that was what the bear did to me.
                Is this some kind of convoluted bear shits in the desert joke?

Comment

Is this some kind of convoluted bear shits in the desert joke?
                  You haven't lived until you had has sand pudding, cactus cupcakes and other desert-themed desserts: https://hooraymag.com/2017/05/30/des...ired-desserts/

Comment

• Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                    What about differences in obesity rate between UK and USA?
                    The other thing that occurred to me is this: if Omicron can make an individual sick or very sick because of obesity, diet, poor lifestyle choices - what would a more severe future variant do? We saw the damage Delta caused.

It's certainly not going to be better, right?

My view is that, we won't get a better shot at semi-herd-immunity from this family of diseases than Omicron, and it's a huge mistake to be implementing restrictions in places where Delta is clearly being displaced.

China for instance are shutting down entire cities again - but is this from Omicron, Delta, or some new variant? If it's Omicron, it's a huge mistake IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                      40 pounds ... that's nearly 3 stone ... well played. I'm trying to drop about 12 pounds over the next month or so. I can't carry weight without feeling awful.

Could very well be a factor. Without any expertise, I'd say prior variants of Covid that attacked the lungs more vigorously would probably be more dangerous for unfit and obese folk. But
                      Thanks -- did it with a few factors and this guy followed a very similar journey to what I did https://medium.com/@jonpeterswrites/...e-105fa8db393e . I'd add in 3+ miles of walking daily, long hikes once a month, and a bit of running as well. Just today, I walked the 4.25 mile round trip to my barber rather than drive it to start the day. I was out the door at 6:30 and home by 8:30 to start the work day.

Comment

The other thing that occurred to me is this: if Omicron can make an individual sick or very sick because of obesity, diet, poor lifestyle choices - what would a more severe future variant do? We saw the damage Delta caused.

It's certainly not going to be better, right?

My view is that, we won't get a better shot at semi-herd-immunity from this family of diseases than Omicron, and it's a huge mistake to be implementing restrictions in places where Delta is clearly being displaced.

China for instance are shutting down entire cities again - but is this from Omicron, Delta, or some new variant? If it's Omicron, it's a huge mistake IMO.
                        Do you believe that exposure to Omicron will provide effective, lasting immunity ?
                        ---------------------------------------------
                        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                          Do you believe that exposure to Omicron will provide effective, lasting immunity ?
                          Depends what you mean by "effective, lasting immunity" ... I think that any kind of prior infection will bolster your immunity against future strains, as will vaccines. And combined, that is about the best shot we have.

I do not want to catch Delta. But we will have to live with Covid, just like we live with Influenza etc, and I imagine at some point in the future I will be exposed to a Delta-like strain that will attack my lungs more vigorously that Omicron.

I would like my immune system to be best equipped to deal with that eventuality. Hybrid-immunity seems like the best we can muster right now. And all the data suggests Omicron is everyone's best bet to achieve hybrid-immunity without risking the more severe side effects of the other strains.

So I guess no, I don't believe it will give "effective, lasting immunity", but it's the best we've got.

We have no more plays really. As much as I am pro-vaccine - I don't fancy the prospect of getting boosted every 6 months of the rest of my life - and that certainly won't fly with the wider population.

Comment

Depends what you mean by "effective, lasting immunity" ... I think that any kind of prior infection will bolster your immunity against future strains, as will vaccines. And combined, that is about the best shot we have.

I do not want to catch Delta. But we will have to live with Covid, just like we live with Influenza etc, and I imagine at some point in the future I will be exposed to a Delta-like strain that will attack my lungs more vigorously that Omicron.

I would like my immune system to be best equipped to deal with that eventuality. Hybrid-immunity seems like the best we can muster right now. And all the data suggests Omicron is everyone's best bet to achieve hybrid-immunity without risking the more severe side effects of the other strains.

So I guess no, I don't believe it will give "effective, lasting immunity", but it's the best we've got.

We have no more plays really. As much as I am pro-vaccine - I don't fancy the prospect of getting boosted every 6 months of the rest of my life - and that certainly won't fly with the wider population.
                            I get a flu shot every year, how is this different?

Comment

I get a flu shot every year, how is this different?
                              If I were elderly or at-risk, sure. Otherwise I'm OK with catching the flu.

Comment

Thanks. I guess I'm just not very optimistic that catching Omicron is going to do that much in the long term fight against Covid, hopefully I'm wrong since a whole lot of people are going to get it. I suspect that boosters will be the path unless/until they come up with something that provides lasting protection. I'd be fine with boosters indefinetely until there is a better option.
                                Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                                The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                                X