The new COVID thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by moonlight j View Post
    cps canceled classes today as 72% of the ctu voted not to return to the buildings. Cps does have a very robust remote learning system for those with the resources to access it.
    cps? Ctu?
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Our schools were closed today because of ice. They've been doing snack outside as much as possible, and I guess sleet is not conducive to that. Should be another productive day at work with my wife in isolation and two elementary aged kids running around!

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
        The biggest problem we are having with the Omicron wave is logistics, and the fact that we didn't prepare properly for it (surprise surprise). We have also run out of rapid test kits, which are now prioritized for healthcare. Our hospitals and care homes are suffering from severe staffing issues, but severe illness and death is low - and in fact we don't know how low precisely, because there are so many incidental Covid cases in our hospitals: an admission with Covid is regarded as a "Covid admission" even if was incidental; the same with oxygen administration and ICU placement; a death with Covid is regarded as a "Covid Death" even if Covid was incidental.

Unless I misunderstood what I read, the NHS has data indicating if the patient was treated primarily for covid or had incidental covid. I think it was info I say on John Burn-Murdoch twitter if I recall.

Edit: https://mobile.twitter.com/jburnmurd...39810913931264
        ---------------------------------------------
        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
          cps? Ctu?
          Child Protective Services and Computer Training Unit obviously.

Comment

• Originally posted by umjewman View Post
            Child Protective Services and Computer Training Unit obviously.
            It was not obvious to me. I would like to say if it was in all caps it would have helped... but it would not have.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
              Unless I misunderstood what I read, the NHS has data indicating if the patient was treated primarily for covid or had incidental covid. I think it was info I say on John Burn-Murdoch twitter if I recall.

Edit: https://mobile.twitter.com/jburnmurd...39810913931264
              They rarely provide Covid-only data for some reason - been that way since the beginning of the pandemic. We aren't mature enough to have all the information, or they simple can't provide it. It's always "X number of people have died from Covid today", not, "X number of people died with Covid, of which Y number were Covid-only patients"

We won't know that data until we can compare annual death rates after the fact (deaths above the average).

Compared to Delta last winter in London:

1. Off the chart infection rate increase, but:
              2. 50% less hospitalization (and much shorter stays)
              3. 80% less ventilation
              4. 90% less deaths

Exactly the same story as in South Africa. That was the big unknown at the beginning of December - will SAF be replicated elsewhere?

All's looking good.

Comment

They rarely provide Covid-only data for some reason - been that way since the beginning of the pandemic. We aren't mature enough to have all the information, or they simple can't provide it. It's always "X number of people have died from Covid today", not, "X number of people died with Covid, of which Y number were Covid-only patients"

We won't know that data until we can compare annual death rates after the fact (deaths above the average).

Compared to Delta last winter in London:

1. Off the chart infection rate increase, but:
                2. 50% less hospitalization (and much shorter stays)
                3. 80% less ventilation
                4. 90% less deaths

Exactly the same story as in South Africa. That was the big unknown at the beginning of December - will SAF be replicated elsewhere?

All's looking good.
                Agree for the most part - but the UK has always had lower death percentages. This will likely hit the US harder, and perhaps much harder, than it does the UK.
                Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by umjewman View Post
                  Our schools were closed today because of ice. They've been doing snack outside as much as possible, and I guess sleet is not conducive to that. Should be another productive day at work with my wife in isolation and two elementary aged kids running around!
                  LOL....we had a Teams meeting that went blank because the lead presenter had his 9-year old son throw a baseball into his monitor.
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                    LOL....we had a Teams meeting that went blank because the lead presenter had his 9-year old son throw a baseball into his monitor.
                    I told them they had to be off screens doing something until 1130. At 1115, my kindergartener just started getting close to me and talking non-stop and I asked him if he was trying to annoy me so much that he could go on screens early. He just smiled and nodded.

Comment

• My wife is staying with my eldest daughter to help her recover from shoulder surgery. She has also been under the weather. She just got tested for Covid and it came back negative. As she was telling me this my daughter received a text that my 10 year old Grandson has tested positive for Covid. He will need to stay out of school for the next two weeks.

It is believed that he caught it New Years Eve from a Hockey Mom that came down with it.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                        Agree for the most part - but the UK has always had lower death percentages. This will likely hit the US harder, and perhaps much harder, than it does the UK.
                        I reckon USA will be much the same once Delta is pushed out by Omicron. You still have a lot of Delta cases holding over, but that looks like it's changing fast.

Even here, most of the seriously ill (up to 90% according to the Govt.) are lingering cases of Delta who were unvaccinated. I haven't seen that much specific Omicron + unvaccinated data.

I'm curious how completely unprotected people will handle Omicron (i.e. no vaccine, or prior infection immunity). South Africa had a lot of prior-infection-immunity.

Comment

I reckon USA will be much the same once Delta is pushed out by Omicron. You still have a lot of Delta cases holding over, but that looks like it's changing fast.

Even here, most of the seriously ill (up to 90% according to the Govt.) are lingering cases of Delta who were unvaccinated. I haven't seen that much specific Omicron + unvaccinated data.

I'm curious how completely unprotected people will handle Omicron (i.e. no vaccine, or prior infection immunity). South Africa had a lot of prior-infection-immunity.
                          What about differences in obesity rate between UK and USA?

UK 37th (28%) and USA is 12th (36%). Not a large % difference, but a difference nonetheless for a grouping that has been hit hard by Covid.

It was one of the motivating factors that got my ass in gear to drop 40 pounds in 2021.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                            What about differences in obesity rate between UK and USA?

UK 37th (28%) and USA is 12th (36%). Not a large % difference, but a difference nonetheless for a grouping that has been hit hard by Covid.

It was one of the motivating factors that got my ass in gear to drop 40 pounds in 2021.
                            Wow, dropping 40 lbs in a year is a hell of a feat--much respect for that. I had not thought much before that COVID could motivate positive changes like this. I wonder how many others lost some LBs or quit smoking during the pandemic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                              Who did you drop it on?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                                Wow, dropping 40 lbs in a year is a hell of a feat--much respect for that. I had not thought much before that COVID could motivate positive changes like this. I wonder how many others lost some LBs or quit smoking during the pandemic.
                                I've only dropped five pounds, but have been much more regular in the weight room, and was able to implement advice Bene and another poster gave me some years ago.
                                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                                X