The new COVID thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    Curious....did she already consult a legal expert on this or is she getting her info somewhere else ?
    She was less forthcoming with her information after I responded to her story with what I thought about it, for some reason.
    More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
      Can you imagine a hospital where the employees didn't take basic safety precautions against infectious disease? Sheesh.
      It's really, really bizarre that they believe there's even a snowball's chance in hell of this lawsuit winning. Could someone work in a hospital without a polio or measles vaccine?

That's all a hospital needs is to get sued by a patient coming in for a heart attack or stroke and getting covid from an anti-vaxxer nurse.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
        It's really, really bizarre that they believe there's even a snowball's chance in hell of this lawsuit winning. Could someone work in a hospital without a polio or measles vaccine?

That's all a hospital needs is to get sued by a patient coming in for a heart attack or stroke and getting covid from an anti-vaxxer nurse.
        Seems like an odd profession to choose when one doesn't believe in science.
        More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• I know two nurses who are opposed to getting vaccinated against COVID. I don't know why other than that they are both strong Republicans and Team Trump, but otherwise not anti-science as far as I know.
          "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
            strong Republicans and Team Trump
            With you so far....

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
            but otherwise not anti-science as far as I know.
            ...and you lost me there.

Comment

With you so far....

...and you lost me there.
              Let me say first of all that I think very few people in the U.S. or any Western country could truly be described as anti-science, i.e., as against the idea that doing repeatable experiments to test hypotheses is the way to learn whether some proposed explanation for an observed phenomenon is true or not. I meant something different than that when I said "anti-science", and I suspect most people do when that term is brought up in conversation. But perhaps it is a poor term to use because it is imprecise.

I can think of at least three general "anti-science" threads of thinking in America that don't necessarily entail a wholesale rejection of the scientific method, per se. They are all three somewhat related but emphasize different aspects. One thread is a general distrust of authority, mainstream media, academics, and bureaucratic elites. A small dose of this one is healthy for science but a large dose leaves you in the position of trusting no one with any recognized authority and turning to conspiracy theories instead. The second thread is distrustful of science as the sine qua non of human existence. It values history, tradition, family, emotional and spiritual experience, love, beauty, etc., and worries that excessive scientism impoverishes rather than enriches the human experience. Or perhaps it's better said that science doesn't capture the best parts of life. This isn't a denial of the benefits of germ theory, for example, as much as it is a claim that the most important things in life may exist outside the reach of science. The third thread is a collision of the other two and is best exemplified by the conflict between evolution and creation. It involves a fear that certain scientific teachings threaten core Christian teachings about the nature of God and humans and a fear that many scientists are out to discredit the Bible and undermine Christianity.

I am not aware that either of the nurses I referenced hold strongly to any of the three "scientific distrust" positions that I mentioned. It's my opinion that for them that taking the vaccine is more about tribal identity than it is about the science behind the vaccine and disease spread. I think their identity as strong conservative American patriots who stand for individual liberty is more important to their identity than is being a nurse or a scientific thinker. Probably to such an extent that they don't even view the question of taking the vaccine as a contest between science and conservatism. I imagine they have digested a fair amount of Fox News (et al) propaganda on the matter such that they think they are holding the correct scientific position on the matter. I haven't talked with either of them in person in a few years, so I'm going off what I know about them as well as recent Facebook posts about vaccine mandates for nurses.
              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                Let me say first of all that I think very few people in the U.S. or any Western country could truly be described as anti-science, i.e., as against the idea that doing repeatable experiments to test hypotheses is the way to learn whether some proposed explanation for an observed phenomenon is true or not. I meant something different than that when I said "anti-science", and I suspect most people do when that term is brought up in conversation. But perhaps it is a poor term to use because it is imprecise.

I can think of at least three general "anti-science" threads of thinking in America that don't necessarily entail a wholesale rejection of the scientific method, per se. They are all three somewhat related but emphasize different aspects. One thread is a general distrust of authority, mainstream media, academics, and bureaucratic elites. A small dose of this one is healthy for science but a large dose leaves you in the position of trusting no one with any recognized authority and turning to conspiracy theories instead. The second thread is distrustful of science as the sine qua non of human existence. It values history, tradition, family, emotional and spiritual experience, love, beauty, etc., and worries that excessive scientism impoverishes rather than enriches the human experience. Or perhaps it's better said that science doesn't capture the best parts of life. This isn't a denial of the benefits of germ theory, for example, as much as it is a claim that the most important things in life may exist outside the reach of science. The third thread is a collision of the other two and is best exemplified by the conflict between evolution and creation. It involves a fear that certain scientific teachings threaten core Christian teachings about the nature of God and humans and a fear that many scientists are out to discredit the Bible and undermine Christianity.

I am not aware that either of the nurses I referenced hold strongly to any of the three "scientific distrust" positions that I mentioned. It's my opinion that for them that taking the vaccine is more about tribal identity than it is about the science behind the vaccine and disease spread. I think their identity as strong conservative American patriots who stand for individual liberty is more important to their identity than is being a nurse or a scientific thinker. Probably to such an extent that they don't even view the question of taking the vaccine as a contest between science and conservatism. I imagine they have digested a fair amount of Fox News (et al) propaganda on the matter such that they think they are holding the correct scientific position on the matter. I haven't talked with either of them in person in a few years, so I'm going off what I know about them as well as recent Facebook posts about vaccine mandates for nurses.
                Thanks for the thoughtful reply. Your idea about the three threads of anti-science, as it were, is an interesting one. I feel myself wanting to kneejerk react to this but it probably warrants more thought than I normally put into my posts, lol. Good stuff, KS, thanks.

Comment

• (Not a thoughtful response, but rather a lazy Tweet link)

It's this kind of "anti-science" person that comes to mind for me. This lady is a nurse and appears to have adopted all three pillars of the Seitzer school of anti-science. This is the type of person I immediately thought of. This lady is supposedly an infectious disease nurse (?)(!).

Comment

• I can find some positives in my first two "anti-science" pillars. I don't find much value in the third one. But turn all of them up to 11 and mix them together and you get some crazy stuff.

Comment

• More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

(Not a thoughtful response, but rather a lazy Tweet link)

It's this kind of "anti-science" person that comes to mind for me. This lady is a nurse and appears to have adopted all three pillars of the Seitzer school of anti-science. This is the type of person I immediately thought of. This lady is supposedly an infectious disease nurse (?)(!).

I like she spouts off about being a Christian then drops the F- bomb. Nice touch…

Comment

• Originally posted by hacko View Post
                          I like she spouts off about being a Christian then drops the F- bomb. Nice touch…
                          Ok, Demon !
                          ---------------------------------------------
                          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                          ---------------------------------------------
                          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• "Demonic Entities" would be a good name for a death metal band.
                            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Illinois Gov mandated the wearing of masks for all indoor activities starting last Monday. Vax or no vax.

Comment

The guy in the red shirt gets it.

Comment

Working...
                                X