Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: The new COVID thread

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sour Masher View Post
    As more stories are pushed highlighting prominent right-wing anti-vaxxers dying of COVID, the thing that strikes me the most is that many of these folks actually believed what they are selling, enough to die for their beliefs. I really figured most people peddling crazy do it because it sells, not because they actually believe it. But seeing so many of them die unvaxxed, it seems a lot of these folks are touting their sincere beliefs. I guess it does not matter all the much in the grand scheme, but it makes me think of them differently.
    Right wing Christian conservative radio host Bob Enyart has died of COVID.

Enyart gained fame by reading the names of those who had died of AIDS while laughing and calling them sodomites. He also lied to his listeners, claiming the COVID vaccine had been tested on aborted fetuses. He prevailed in a lawsuit in which he sought an injunction against the State of Colorado in its attempts to impose mask mandates at his church, the Denver Bible Church.

Good luck dealing with St. Peter, I guess, fella. You died like you lived: stupid, dangerous, and full of hubris.
    Anti-fascist.

Quote Originally Posted by Sour Masher View Post
    As more stories are pushed highlighting prominent right-wing anti-vaxxers dying of COVID, the thing that strikes me the most is that many of these folks actually believed what they are selling, enough to die for their beliefs. I really figured most people peddling crazy do it because it sells, not because they actually believe it. But seeing so many of them die unvaxxed, it seems a lot of these folks are touting their sincere beliefs. I guess it does not matter all the much in the grand scheme, but it makes me think of them differently.
    Some have changed their minds, admitted they were wrong just before dying.

The biggest revelation for me was seeing an interview with Caleb Landry, the guy who started a militia of anti-vaxxers called the Freedom Defenders, then died from Covid. He said something that really clearly illustrated the connection between right-wing thinking and anti-vax/anti-science thinking. Masks and vaccines and following safety protocol is completely new and foreign, and that's entirely antithetical to Conservative ideology. They fear and fight against change, in all forms. Landry put it so succinctly, saying "we don't want masks, and we don't want vaccines. We just want to go back to things like they were before."

That's it. It's more about a fear of change than anything else, and Conservative mindset fearing change forces them to dig in instead of confronting reality. That's been my biggest takeaway of late.
    "My favourite is when Joe Biden and Nancy Pelosi say "we need a strong Republican party." And I'm like, "um, well, I donít. Not sure why you do." And then I realized why they do need a strong Republican party. Because if there was no Republican party, even if you were a fan of the Democrats, you would be like "hey, now what's holding you back from doing good policy if there's no opposition?" Because they'd be revealed as frauds." - Judah Friedlander

Quote Originally Posted by Teenwolf View Post
    That's it. It's more about a fear of change than anything else, and Conservative mindset fearing change forces them to dig in instead of confronting reality. That's been my biggest takeaway of late.
    While this is a popular media-driven illusion, the data driven facts sure don't support the point, overall. Sure, there's a fair number of loudmouths on the right that oppose vaccines and mask mandates. But overall? The oldest age groups - 65+ are both more conservative than the norm AND about 84% vaccinated. 50-64 is over 70% vaccinated. Young adults - who lean more liberal than the norm - are much less vaccinated. The age 25-39 age group is only about 54% vaccinated, age 18-24 notably less.

The African-American population, overwhelmingly Democratic voters, have the lowest vaccination rate by racial demographic. And it's not really close.

Data source, in case you're wondering, is the CDC itself: https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tra...raphics-trends
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by chancellor View Post
    While this is a popular media-driven illusion, the data driven facts sure don't support the point, overall. Sure, there's a fair number of loudmouths on the right that oppose vaccines and mask mandates. But overall? The oldest age groups - 65+ are both more conservative than the norm AND about 84% vaccinated. 50-64 is over 70% vaccinated. Young adults - who lean more liberal than the norm - are much less vaccinated. The age 25-39 age group is only about 54% vaccinated, age 18-24 notably less.

The African-American population, overwhelmingly Democratic voters, have the lowest vaccination rate by racial demographic. And it's not really close.

Data source, in case you're wondering, is the CDC itself: https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tra...raphics-trends
    It's these loudmouths that piss me off more than any individual who doesn't get a vaccine. Every responsible news source should be directing people to get info from medical professionals. When did vaccines become part of politics ? Why are people afraid of this vaccine in particular, yet they have gotten many other vaccines ?

EDIT: i went to a football game a week or so ago with my doctor friend and we asked him about this. He had a very simple answer for everyone who asks him. "The Vaccine is safe and effective".
    Last edited by The Feral Slasher; 09-14-2021 at 11:18 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------

---nothing to see nothing to say nothing to do

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    It's these loudmouths that piss me off more than any individual who doesn't get a vaccine. Every responsible news source should be directing people to get info from medical professionals. When did vaccines become part of politics ? Why are people afraid of this vaccine in particular, yet they have gotten many other vaccines ?

EDIT: i went to a football game a week or so ago with my doctor friend and we asked him about this. He had a very simple answer for everyone who asks him. "The Vaccine is safe and effective".
    Republican lawmakers, mouthpieces, media personalities, propagandists (from Fox to OAN to Newsmax and on and on) are to blame. Chancellor is fucking high. It's obviously a left (get the damn shot) versus right (stick a UV light up your ass while chugging bleach and consuming horse dewormer) issue. In fact, vaccination rates are a better predictor of 2020 voting patterns now than racial demographics, or pretty much any other demographic, and even a better predictor than 2000 voting patterns. Deep red states have the lowest vaccination rates and on and on and on. I mean, the partisan nature of vaccination is pretty damn obvious, at least to me. Same for mask wearing, social distancing, etc. Hell, Republicans are actively preventing local governments and school boards from enacting preventative measures to fight COVID, threatening their jobs and their funding. Polling is extraordinarily clear on this, with a recent poll I saw showing 95% of Democrats already vaccinated or plan to be while only 40% of Republicans say the same. Another poll shows 58% of Republicans saying they will never get the shot while only 15% of Democrats say the same. Other polling has different numbers but similarly enormous gaps between Dems and Repubs. Conservative leaders are killing their own. Research published in peer reviewed journals showed Republicans taking their early cues from the idiots leading their party and then stuck to them no matter what, to their obvious detriment and to everyone else's as well.
    Last edited by Bene Futuis; 09-14-2021 at 11:59 PM.
    Anti-fascist.

Journeyman
    In really good news, though, it sure looks like we'll be getting a vaccine approved for kids really soon. Pfizer presenting theirs to the FDA by the end of the month. It has been awful and nerve wracking having a kid who can't get vaccinated.
    Anti-fascist.

Quote Originally Posted by Bene Futuis View Post
    In really good news, though, it sure looks like we'll be getting a vaccine approved for kids really soon. Pfizer presenting theirs to the FDA by the end of the month. It has been awful and nerve wracking having a kid who can't get vaccinated.
    Unless you consider January "really soon", you're being over optimistic.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by DMT View Post
    Unless you consider January "really soon", you're being over optimistic.
    Well, the optimistic timeframe is "by Halloween", according to a former FDA head who's on the board of Pfizer. Fauci said October or November. The more reachable goal, I hear, is end of the year. Either way, it's both soon and not soon enough, I suppose.
    Anti-fascist.

Quote Originally Posted by Bene Futuis View Post
    Republican lawmakers, mouthpieces, media personalities, propagandists (from Fox to OAN to Newsmax and on and on) are to blame. Chancellor is fucking high. It's obviously a left (get the damn shot) versus right (stick a UV light up your ass while chugging bleach and consuming horse dewormer) issue. In fact, vaccination rates are a better predictor of 2020 voting patterns now than racial demographics, or pretty much any other demographic, and even a better predictor than 2000 voting patterns. Deep red states have the lowest vaccination rates and on and on and on. I mean, the partisan nature of vaccination is pretty damn obvious, at least to me. Same for mask wearing, social distancing, etc. Hell, Republicans are actively preventing local governments and school boards from enacting preventative measures to fight COVID, threatening their jobs and their funding. Polling is extraordinarily clear on this, with a recent poll I saw showing 95% of Democrats already vaccinated or plan to be while only 40% of Republicans say the same. Another poll shows 58% of Republicans saying they will never get the shot while only 15% of Democrats say the same. Other polling has different numbers but similarly enormous gaps between Dems and Repubs. Conservative leaders are killing their own. Research published in peer reviewed journals showed Republicans taking their early cues from the idiots leading their party and then stuck to them no matter what, to their obvious detriment and to everyone else's as well.
    I would love to hear a response from Chance because it does appear to me that the anti vax/anti mask push is all coming from the republican/right wing. Although the behavior of some democrats doesn't always help.
    ---------------------------------------------------------

---nothing to see nothing to say nothing to do

It's true that there are three 'anti vaxxer' camps -- right wingers, African-Americans & young adults.

But it's also true that only one of those camps have actively campaigned against it and used all means necessary to discredit it and influence others for political reasons, all because of ONE CLOWN. If that clown had embraced the vaccine that he supposedly launched and tries to take all the credit for, we likely would not be in this predicament to this extent today.

I read an interesting take on it in an article last week, that right wingers are not taking the vaccine because it's now being pushed by Dems. What stupidity, and this is why many don't feel any empathy for those right wing anti-vaxxers who die from covid.