Cosby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cosby

I am surprised no one has brought up the fact that Cosby's verdict was overturned. I am appalled by the number of people supporting this. Especially black men. And they are getting a pass by white folks, largely, as if we are afraid to get into this issue of who is more the victim in this case--women the victim of powerful rapists, or black men being railroaded by the racist judicial system. This is so obviously a case of a rapist being let go, the fact that people like 50 Cent and DL Hughley are not getting totally blown out of the water for being on team Cosby is shocking to me.

I defer the legal merits of the overturning of the case to the legal minds here, but legality aside, this is a dark day for all of Cosby's scores of victims and for society as a whole.

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
    I am surprised no one has brought up the fact that Cosby's verdict was overturned. I am appalled by the number of people supporting this. Especially black men. And they are getting a pass by white folks, largely, as if we are afraid to get into this issue of who is more the victim in this case--women the victim of powerful rapists, or black men being railroaded by the racist judicial system. This is so obviously a case of a rapist being let go, the fact that people like 50 Cent and DL Hughley are not getting totally blown out of the water for being on team Cosby is shocking to me.

I defer the legal merits of the overturning of the case to the legal minds here, but legality aside, this is a dark day for all of Cosby's scores of victims and for society as a whole.
    Our wonderful legal system where you can buy your way out of accountability. Coped a plea to pay civil damages and avoid jail, he's a POS and should rot in jail. BUT he's not unlike most rich folks in this country, when you can afford to pay any kind of fine, you really aren't accountable to the law.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

The SUV needs a larger gas tank for extended duty.

Oh, and in the spirit of equal treatment for each gender, let's pick up Alison Mack along the way, too. Another example supporting your point.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
        Our wonderful legal system where you can buy your way out of accountability. Coped a plea to pay civil damages and avoid jail, he's a POS and should rot in jail. BUT he's not unlike most rich folks in this country, when you can afford to pay any kind of fine, you really aren't accountable to the law.
        Did he really "cop a plea", or did the DA basically say, "I'm not going to charge you criminally so you can speak freely in the civil matter."?

I'm not making excuses for the deplorable acts Cosby admitted to in depositions. He's guilty, and his reputation is tarnished beyond repair. With that said, justice was served by the PA Supreme Court, as Cosby's testimony from the depositions in the civil suit were used in the criminal court after Cosby was told he wasn't in any danger of being prosecuted.

Again, not making excuses for Cosby, but I say, "Yay" for the justice system for it looking at the totality of the process. The first DA is the one to blame for this.
        "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
        - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
        - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
          Did he really "cop a plea", or did the DA basically say, "I'm not going to charge you criminally so you can speak freely in the civil matter."?

I'm not making excuses for the deplorable acts Cosby admitted to in depositions. He's guilty, and his reputation is tarnished beyond repair. With that said, justice was served by the PA Supreme Court, as Cosby's testimony from the depositions in the civil suit were used in the criminal court after Cosby was told he wasn't in any danger of being prosecuted.

Again, not making excuses for Cosby, but I say, "Yay" for the justice system for it looking at the totality of the process. The first DA is the one to blame for this.
          Yeah, there is a lot of anger that is blaming this on the patriarchy or the rich getting away with anything, but it seems like the blame here should go to the DA. If it meant he could not be convicted for what he obviously deserved to be convicted for, that is outrageous. I understand that may have seemed to be the best path forward at the time, but you have to have forethought and find a better way to make this man pay for his crimes.

Comment

I have read up a little bit on this and honestly cannot even tell what happened. Seems like Cosby got released based on a violation of his due process rights (former DA promised no charges in order to get Cosby to participate in a civil deposition? then subsequent DA brought charges a decade later?). He's crowing about being exonerated but that's not exactly what happened. But, I mean, weren't there like 60 accusers? Why was he charged and sentenced for only one of the rapes (from what I can tell)? Statute of limitations issues? This whole thing is bizarre.
            More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
              I have read up a little bit on this and honestly cannot even tell what happened. Seems like Cosby got released based on a violation of his due process rights (former DA promised no charges in order to get Cosby to participate in a civil deposition? then subsequent DA brought charges a decade later?). He's crowing about being exonerated but that's not exactly what happened. But, I mean, weren't there like 60 accusers? Why was he charged and sentenced for only one of the rapes (from what I can tell)? Statute of limitations issues? This whole thing is bizarre.
              Here is an article on it that suggests Castor is wholly to blame for not at least adding the caveat that if additional evidence emerges, they could prosecute, which the writers suggests is SOP, if you make any promises, which prosecutors should avoid to begin with whenever possible.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/01/o...-released.html

"When I worked as a federal prosecutor, I was cautious about making promises because I knew they were binding. With rare exception, my office refrained from making promises to decline charges against someone because of the very real possibility that additional evidence of guilt could emerge. Our hands would be tied if the person had relied on that promise in any way. If we agreed to bring no further charges against someone as part of a plea deal, we included in the plea agreement the caveat that the promise was limited to information that was currently known to the government."

Comment

If this is so clear cut, why did it take 2 years for this outcome? Not that I am complaining Cosby served two years, but it seems like a long time is this is as clear cut as some seem to be suggesting.

Comment

Two really big triggers in this for me.

1. The justice system

2. Rape

So I'm probably not going to be able to speak about it without some bias.

First, if he's free--there is no justice and so a system attaboy for getting the process right is a win for me. Cosby rotting in jail or being hacked to death by a group of rape survivors with machetes would be justice.

Second, why was he offered a deal in the first place? Any deal that allows a rich person to walk with the only consequence being monetary means the rich can buy their own brand of justice.

Lastly, Cosby doesn't give a rat's ass what people think about him, his rep or anything like that. He Free, Rich and has enough people around him to make the rest of his years enjoyable--All while his victims endure the repercussions of his assaults. I see NO justice in that at all.
                  If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                  X