Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miss Nevada - first transgender Miss USA Contestant

Does it matter? Should it matter?

It's a touchy subject, because to disagree brings the wrath of the "woke culture" and be labeled a bigot or homophobic, etc..

It also can be a complex subject when it comes to sex, gender, etc.

This particular example is not that extreme to me, because the winner will be decided on beauty and there is no physical part of the competition. So if the transgender individual is the prettiest, then they win. If not, then they lose.

Will judges be compromised by the woke people who will rain down a deluge of name-calling, and perhaps more, upon the judges who do not vote for the transgender person?
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

I think your point about it not involving physical competition but a judgment of aesthetics is key. I have no problem with a self-identified female that was born biologically male competing in a beauty contest. I made this point before about what straight men actually find attractive. For me, it is femininity and all of the classic attributes of a female. When some transgenders work at and present themselves as female, they can embody all of that. In fact, some people born as a man look more like a woman than some people born as a woman.

But if you wanna talk about sports, that is a different can of fish for me. I cannot wrap my head around arguments for transgender women competing in physically intensive sports that rely on strength. I don't care how long you have been on hormones, there are inherent advantages for someone born male for such sports. It makes it an unfair playing field. I do get the argument that young transgenders should be able to compete and have fun, but you have to think of the overall fairness of the competition and combat sports, track and field and the like are all activities that someone born male has an advantage at.

Comment

how is "Miss anything" still a thing?
      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Here is a pic for context:

kataluna-enriquez-1624866344.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
          Well, that is a whole other thing, and yeah, I don't get it.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
            For "pageant moms", it's their life's work.
            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
              Does it matter? Should it matter?

It's a touchy subject, because to disagree brings the wrath of the "woke culture" and be labeled a bigot or homophobic, etc..

It also can be a complex subject when it comes to sex, gender, etc.

This particular example is not that extreme to me, because the winner will be decided on beauty and there is no physical part of the competition. So if the transgender individual is the prettiest, then they win. If not, then they lose.

Will judges be compromised by the woke people who will rain down a deluge of name-calling, and perhaps more, upon the judges who do not vote for the transgender person?
              It shouldn't matter, but it does. In the same way that being the first female VP shouldn't but because it's taken so long for people to finally get past "roles" and evaluate people on their abilities/character (well hopefully) When a 'first' happens, it's noteworthy.

Can I ask you why you believe being Woke is a bad thing?
              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                I think your point about it not involving physical competition but a judgment of aesthetics is key. I have no problem with a self-identified female that was born biologically male competing in a beauty contest. I made this point before about what straight men actually find attractive. For me, it is femininity and all of the classic attributes of a female. When some transgenders work at and present themselves as female, they can embody all of that. In fact, some people born as a man look more like a woman than some people born as a woman.

But if you wanna talk about sports, that is a different can of fish for me. I cannot wrap my head around arguments for transgender women competing in physically intensive sports that rely on strength. I don't care how long you have been on hormones, there are inherent advantages for someone born male for such sports. It makes it an unfair playing field. I do get the argument that young transgenders should be able to compete and have fun, but you have to think of the overall fairness of the competition and combat sports, track and field and the like are all activities that someone born male has an advantage at.
                Do you feel the same way about a Trans Man (biological female) competing in Men's Athletics? If not, why the difference?
                If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Oh my gosh, woke culture mobs are name-calling and making everyone fearful for their lives! Time to clutch them pearls, boys. Clutch 'em real hard.
                  More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post

Agree 100% with this.
                    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                      It shouldn't matter, but it does. In the same way that being the first female VP shouldn't but because it's taken so long for people to finally get past "roles" and evaluate people on their abilities/character (well hopefully) When a 'first' happens, it's noteworthy.

Can I ask you why you believe being Woke is a bad thing?
                      I do not believe that being Woke is a bad thing. I would consider myself very woke.

My problem with the woke crowd is when they refuse to see another point of view and proceed to pile onto the person opposing their viewpoint.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                        Do you feel the same way about a Trans Man (biological female) competing in Men's Athletics? If not, why the difference?
                        This one is probably a trap but there's concern to work through here that the physical testosterone differences provide a relative advantage in bone density and muscle mass/strength to those who are born male, right?

It's like asking why it's different for a freshman to play on a varsity team vs a senior playing on a freshman team. One is an advantage, the other is not.

Comment

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                          Oh my gosh, woke culture mobs are name-calling and making everyone fearful for their lives! Time to clutch them pearls, boys. Clutch 'em real hard.
                          Well I am on several websites/Facebook pages for my profession and when someone dare disagree with the woke crowd on the site, there has been so very harsh retribution. Attempts to destroy careers and good names.

So maybe just because you haven't experienced any woke culture mobs harassing you, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Comment

I do not believe that being Woke is a bad thing. I would consider myself very woke.

My problem with the woke crowd is when they refuse to see another point of view and proceed to pile onto the person opposing their viewpoint.
                            I'd really appreciate some specific examples or even one as though I have experiences a singular voice being unreasonable--I've yet to experience this "Crowd" you're referring to.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

So maybe just because you haven't experienced any woke culture mobs harassing you, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
                              Why does it seem like " and get off my lawn " belongs at the end here.

Comment

Working...
                              X