Trumps Bible Photo Op...Redux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trumps Bible Photo Op...Redux

So a year or so ago, Our feckless Leader decided to take a stroll at through Lafayette park to have a picture taken in front of a church with an upside down bible. At the time many of us assailed trump, the USPP and Barr for violently dispersing protestors who were peacefully and legally assembled there. Well a new study by Interior Department Inspector General Mark Greenblatt (Trump appointee) has issued a statement saying:

"The evidence established that relevant USPP officials had made those decisions and had begun implementing the operational plan several hours before they knew of a potential Presidential visit to the park, which occurred later that day, As such, we determined that the evidence did not support a finding that the USPP cleared the park on June 1, 2020, so that then President Trump could enter the park."

Here's the article on NPR: https://www.npr.org/2021/06/09/10048...nuCKfQxNKyxph8

Read it--It's fucking hilarious. It say--Trump, nor Barr ordered it, that the clearing was "Planned" so they might erect a new fence BUT it also says Trump had planned a walk through that Park which was scheduled 2-3 hours later than it occurred and that Barr called and asked why the park wasn't already cleared as the POtuS was on his way down.

So they're saying--that Trump and/or Barr didn't ask for it to happen, but in reality made it happen.

I guess that's the best we can get from a Trump appointee asked to investigate his old boss.

If I'm reading this wrong, please help me with my comprehension, I have been accused of not having any as of late....
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Well, I think the interpretation is wrong. Some more background:

- The IG who issued the report served five years in the Bush admin, all eight years of the Obama admin, including senior investigative roles and was promoted to Assistant Inspector General, and all eight years of the Trump admin. His roles and the administrations he's served indicate a person who has a high level of competence and no political axe to grind, and he has had promotions and significant appointments under both the Obama and Trump administrations. Moreover, IG's still serve at the pleasure of the president, so Biden certainly could have asked for Greenblatt to resign, and I expect he would have if he were perceived as some right-wing hack.
    - The NPR report did not reference the more detailed Inspector General's report, which has greater detail covered in the events and timeline.

So, onto the specifics:

- Per the NPR report:
    The report noted that the Park Police made the decision "to allow a contractor to safely install antiscale fencing in response to destruction of Federal property and injury to officers."
    NPR did leave out a critical detail here: a Park Police officer had been seriously burned by an inflammatory device thrown at him the day before.

- The fencing was procured well before Barr informed the Park Police that Trump was coming out.
    - The Park Police already had a plan in place at 10:00 AM for clearing the park to allow for safe installation of the fence.
    - The Park Police had issued orders no later than 2:00 PM to clear the park.
    - The AG's visit to Lafayette Park was at 6:10 PM.

Finally, from the IG's detailed report:

The USPP operations commander, the USPP incident commander, and the USPP acting chief of police told us they did not know the President planned to make a speech in the Rose Garden that evening. The USPP incident commander told us he was never informed of the President's specific plans or when the President planned to come out of the White House. He said, "It was just a, 'Hey, here he comes.' And all of a sudden I turn around and there's the entourage."
    I believe the IG's conclusion is well-supported by the facts - the procurement record of the fence, previous injuries to Park Police officers (one of which was serious), the long gap from issued orders to Barr's appearance, and the testimony of many Park Police members, including leadership, that they received any orders - or even requests - to clear the park from anyone in the Trump administration. There's pretty clear implications from the facts that further support the conclusion - the Park Police aggressively going after clearing the park after one of their own was seriously hurt fits, and Park Police leadership could easily have tried to throw Trump administration members under the bus to protect themselves, but didn't.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
      Well, I think the interpretation is wrong. Some more background:

- The IG who issued the report served five years in the Bush admin, all eight years of the Obama admin, including senior investigative roles and was promoted to Assistant Inspector General, and all eight years of the Trump admin. His roles and the administrations he's served indicate a person who has a high level of competence and no political axe to grind, and he has had promotions and significant appointments under both the Obama and Trump administrations. Moreover, IG's still serve at the pleasure of the president, so Biden certainly could have asked for Greenblatt to resign, and I expect he would have if he were perceived as some right-wing hack.
      - The NPR report did not reference the more detailed Inspector General's report, which has greater detail covered in the events and timeline.

So, onto the specifics:

- Per the NPR report: NPR did leave out a critical detail here: a Park Police officer had been seriously burned by an inflammatory device thrown at him the day before.

- The fencing was procured well before Barr informed the Park Police that Trump was coming out.
      - The Park Police already had a plan in place at 10:00 AM for clearing the park to allow for safe installation of the fence.
      - The Park Police had issued orders no later than 2:00 PM to clear the park.
      - The AG's visit to Lafayette Park was at 6:10 PM.

Finally, from the IG's detailed report:

I believe the IG's conclusion is well-supported by the facts - the procurement record of the fence, previous injuries to Park Police officers (one of which was serious), the long gap from issued orders to Barr's appearance, and the testimony of many Park Police members, including leadership, that they received any orders - or even requests - to clear the park from anyone in the Trump administration. There's pretty clear implications from the facts that further support the conclusion - the Park Police aggressively going after clearing the park after one of their own was seriously hurt fits, and Park Police leadership could easily have tried to throw Trump administration members under the bus to protect themselves, but didn't.
      I'm fully aware of pretty much everything you've recounted with the exception of the extra 4 years of the Trump regime. I know it SEEMED like 8 years, but I'm pretty sure he was only in office for 4 (though if you count the stolen election I guess it could be 8)

Let's start with the assertion that the IG doesn't have an agenda because he's still the IG. DeJoy is still the Postmaster General and there are other Trump appointees that haven't been axed yet. The current IG didn't get his position until 2019. By this time in Trumps regime he was appointing people from a list of those who wouldn't contradict him nor be critical of him or his admin. So color me skeptical in thinking he had no reason NOT to protect Trump/Barr--But I can see how I may be wrong and you right--it comes down to how much faith you have in the integrity of the IG. Same goes with the USPP leadership, which I akin to any law enforcement leaders protecting their own from charges of overarch. Again, I am obviously more skeptical than you.

to the Timeline.

What they had planned isn't really the issue here--you say they had plans to clear the square at 2pm, then why hadn't they done in by then? Even started to do it by then? They didn't even START to clear the square until AFTER Barr arrived, informed them of the POtuS's intent to walk to the church and then at 6:22PM gave verbal orders for the crowd to disperse. They spend then next 30 mins clearing the square for Trump's walk to the church. It's pretty clear that even if the plan WAS to put up the fence, they'd forgone their original timeline and even one USPP office said (anonymously) that they were all blindsided with the AGs visit and trumps plan to speak in the Rose Garden and walk to the Church.

The Critical bit about the USPP officer being hurt is a nothing burger. This time last year, conflict between protestors and LEO was commonplace. Everyone was already on edge, to suggest that one incident put everyone on guard is stretching it--everyone was already amped to the teeth. Police were aggressive from the go, everywhere in America-Daily during this time last year, It why there's such a large cry for police reform today.

As for throwing Trump under the bus, dude--a third of Americans believe he's the Messiah and actual president. They soon slit their wrists than say a bad word about him, even if they know it to be true. That includes members of the USPP, Congress, Secret Service et al.

I love ya man, but I think you're squinting pretty hard to see this as anything other than--Trump wanted to take a walk, Barr said clear the square and the USPP obliged. But hey I have cataracts and my vision is somewhat burry these days.
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
      X