The Chauvin Verdict.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
    It is a milestone that a LEO, even one caught on video, was held accountable for his crimes, but I worry that the focus here will be entirely on Chauvin as an outlier and not also on seeing this as a wake up call for more vetting, training, and a change in a culture that allows similar behavior, and leads to things like his fellow officers standing by as Chauvin slowly murdered Floyd.
    If we saw any change in accountability from police, you wouldn't hear them repeating the laughable farce that an officer accidentally used their gun instead of their teaser.

This will do nothing.
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
      If we saw any change in accountability from police, you wouldn't hear them repeating the laughable farce that an officer accidentally used their gun instead of their teaser.

This will do nothing.
      I think it will create some uncertainty now among the police of whether or not they can get away with murder. We will never know how many murders it stops. But hopefully the number of murders of unarmed people by police will decrease.

However, this verdict may cause police to lash out more often at bystanders who are filming them while they make an arrest. George Floyd's brother is probably right when he says his brother would be "just another dead man" if not for Darnella Frazier's video.
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Here's the police report that we would be looking at if not for that cell phone video.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Still a long way to go, but this is a step forward as opposed to nothing at all.
          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Not necessarily as a result of the verdict, which obviously is a very new development, but there have already been a sea of changes with regards to law enforcement, qualified immunity, and the like stemming from the protests last summer when George Floyd was murdered by police.
            More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

I think it's noteworthy that even the hardcore conservatives on my FB feed that I went to high school with have been pretty muted about this one. Almost like even they couldn't justify this one.

The flip side of course is that makes me pessimistic that this "accountability" was anything more than a one-off. Not that any of the other police killings are acceptable, but if you had to rank them from most egregious to most, I guess, understandable so to speak, this one has to be on the more egregious side.

Comment

Originally posted by umjewman View Post
                I think it's noteworthy that even the hardcore conservatives on my FB feed that I went to high school with have been pretty muted about this one. Almost like even they couldn't justify this one.

The flip side of course is that makes me pessimistic that this "accountability" was anything more than a one-off. Not that any of the other police killings are acceptable, but if you had to rank them from most egregious to most, I guess, understandable so to speak, this one has to be on the more egregious side.
                See the hotel hallway execution in Mesa, AZ from a couple years ago for another egregious example of police murder.

I do think this is a significant step, but it also reinforces just how far we still have to go.
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by umjewman View Post

Yeah, when I see a defender of Chauvin, I assume it is a hardcore racist (they are usually referring to his family winning the ghetto lottery) or they did not watch the full video. While there have definitely been more tragic killings, like that kid who was rolled up on an immediately shot and killed, but this one stands out because it was not a sudden, adrenaline fueled bad decision. It wasn't kneejerk. It was knee to the neck of an already cuffed man for 9 long minutes as the man begging for his life and onlookers pleading for him to stop murdering the man. I really do not see how anyone who saw the whole video could see anything buy a cold blooded murder that could have stopped at any time, but kept going and going and going as the man slowly died. Onlookers knew he was killing him. They told him he was killing him. He knew he was killing him. He kept going and going.

And he would have gotten away with it too, if not for the video. That police report madducks posted--how many like it have there been to cover up similar actions?

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                    Yeah, when I see a defender of Chauvin, I assume it is a hardcore racist (they are usually referring to his family winning the ghetto lottery) or they did not watch the full video. While there have definitely been more tragic killings, like that kid who was rolled up on an immediately shot and killed, but this one stands out because it was not a sudden, adrenaline fueled bad decision. It wasn't kneejerk. It was knee to the neck of an already cuffed man for 9 long minutes as the man begging for his life and onlookers pleading for him to stop murdering the man. I really do not see how anyone who saw the whole video could see anything buy a cold blooded murder that could have stopped at any time, but kept going and going and going as the man slowly died. Onlookers knew he was killing him. They told him he was killing him. He knew he was killing him. He kept going and going.

And he would have gotten away with it too, if not for the video. That police report madducks posted--how many like it have there been to cover up similar actions?
                    I thought the same thing about those defending the cops who executed Eric Garner for selling cigarettes.
                    More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

The police report is why I'm saying nothing will change for the better as a result of this. There's your proof. It's in the reporting of every police killing. The woman who used her gun and claimed she thought it was her taser is 100% supported by her police chief, and further muddied by Joe fucking Biden claiming "we don't know if it was intentional or not", like the idiot he is, blindly supporting police murder.

A taser looks and feels nothing like a gun. A gun is 4 times as heavy, looks and feels very different. Officer had 26 years experience as a cop. Give me a fucking break. Why are armed officers enforcing traffic anyway, can we not expand the role of meter maid type of jobs to include traffic enforcement to keep police away from brutalizing and harassing the public?

Police believe that officers are literally incapable of murder when in uniform. That's why nothing will change until they're neutered, in the budget. Cut cop jobs, expand the public sector to overtake. Reform is an illusion they feed the public to stay in power, and increase their funding even more.

Next step is a 1-2 punch, make body cameras mandatory, and make it illegal for civilians to record the police. That's the next objective. That's why I've stopped caring about body cameras. It's the first step to giving them 100% of the power.
                      Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

The police report is why I'm saying nothing will change for the better as a result of this. There's your proof. It's in the reporting of every police killing. The woman who used her gun and claimed she thought it was her taser is 100% supported by her police chief, and further muddied by Joe fucking Biden claiming "we don't know if it was intentional or not", like the idiot he is, blindly supporting police murder.

A taser looks and feels nothing like a gun. A gun is 4 times as heavy, looks and feels very different. Officer had 26 years experience as a cop. Give me a fucking break. Why are armed officers enforcing traffic anyway, can we not expand the role of meter maid type of jobs to include traffic enforcement to keep police away from brutalizing and harassing the public?

Police believe that officers are literally incapable of murder when in uniform. That's why nothing will change until they're neutered, in the budget. Cut cop jobs, expand the public sector to overtake. Reform is an illusion they feed the public to stay in power, and increase their funding even more.

Next step is a 1-2 punch, make body cameras mandatory, and make it illegal for civilians to record the police. That's the next objective. That's why I've stopped caring about body cameras. It's the first step to giving them 100% of the power.
                        You hate every cop and you're fucking wrong.

I believe the woman made a mistake and I am as as skeptical as anyone.

Your rage blinds you to reason.

Yes things still are not great but the Chauvin Verdict is a step if you can't see it you're just a bloodlust fucktard.
                        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                          You hate every cop and you're fucking wrong.

I believe the woman made a mistake and I am as as skeptical as anyone.

Your rage blinds you to reason.

Yes things still are not great but the Chauvin Verdict is a step if you can't see it you're just a bloodlust fucktard.
                          The way you talk to me is reprehensible.

I can't believe I'm in multiple leagues with such a bully and asshole. You've sucked all of the fun out of RJ for me in the last several months with your attacks on me, and it's just as miserable in my leagues.

You're an awful human.

Talk about the issue at hand without personal insults, and I'll engage. You're too petty. You look like exactly the asshole that you are.

Comment

I can't speak to Canada - your rules/laws and implementations are different than the US - but in the US, making it illegal for civilians to record the police is exceedingly unlikely. There's been no test case that I'm aware of to the Supreme Court, but at least half a dozen federal appellate cases have all supported citizens rights to record the police, and among the appellate courts there's ones considered "conservative" and others considered "liberal" that have supported that right. Among the laws out there that could restrict citizens rights to record police, Massachusetts is, IMO, the most restrictive, and the two challenges that have advanced forward have been ruled in favor of the citizens.

If this would go to SCOTUS, I can easily see seven votes for supporting citizens rights to record police, and I'd not be surprised if it were a unanimous decision.
                            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                              I can't speak to Canada - your rules/laws and implementations are different than the US - but in the US, making it illegal for civilians to record the police is exceedingly unlikely. There's been no test case that I'm aware of to the Supreme Court, but at least half a dozen federal appellate cases have all supported citizens rights to record the police, and among the appellate courts there's ones considered "conservative" and others considered "liberal" that have supported that right. Among the laws out there that could restrict citizens rights to record police, Massachusetts is, IMO, the most restrictive, and the two challenges that have advanced forward have been ruled in favor of the citizens.

If this would go to SCOTUS, I can easily see seven votes for supporting citizens rights to record police, and I'd not be surprised if it were a unanimous decision.
                              I'm decidedly less optimistic than you are.

What about Oklahoma? This article is from a week ago. I've just quoted the highlights.

https://theblackwallsttimes.com/2021/04/14/bill allowing protestors to be run over by drivers heads to governors desk

The Oklahoma state Senate on Wednesday voted to pass two bills aimed at criminalizing peaceful protestors. One, House Bill 1674, would allow motorists to run over peaceful protestors without consequence if they claimed self-defense. The other, HB 1643, is similar to an earlier bill that would criminalize Oklahomans for sharing videos or photographs of police officers. [...]

State Senator George Young (D-OKC) urged his colleagues to vote “no” on HB 1643, noting that no attempts are made to protect protestors from malicious drivers. His colleague, state Senator Kevin Matthews (D-Tulsa) also voiced concern from the senate floor about the dangers these bills pose. [...]

Both bills now head to Governor Kevin Stitt’s desk for signature. If the Governor chooses to sign both bills into law, they will be among the most aggressive anti-protest laws in the nation.

Many Civil Rights groups are already urging Oklahomans to contact the Governor’s office and urge him to veto.
                              Also, the SC is now majority psychopath. I wouldn't be shocked by any Orwellian decision they might reach.

Comment

IAlso, the SC is now majority psychopath. I wouldn't be shocked by any Orwellian decision they might reach.
                                while I disagree with a majority of their politics, I also disagree with this.

I'm disagreeable.
                                I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Working...
                                X