Trout for Bieber?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trout for Bieber?

I am in the market for pitching in our AL 5x5 league. I reached out for the team that has Shane Bieber (Bieber is final year). He asked for Mike Trout $54 (year one) and said both are four category studs.

His actual offer is Bieber and Kyle Isbel $18 for Trout and Randy Dobnak $13.

HQ actually has Bieber valued higher than Trout, which surprised me. I feel like wins are somewhat random and overall risk is much lower with Trout. Also I can keep Trout for two more years should I chose to. Am I missing something? How close are Trout and Bieber? And is there a scenario in which you consider that deal? I am inclined to reject it out of hand, but wanted to double check with the ‘pen.

Thanks!

I think truly elite pitching like Bieber is undervalued, or it may be more accurate to say that the inherent risk with arms is baked in to their perceived value. It is quite possible that Bieber out-earns Trout this year, but I would still prefer the greatest bat of his generation over who might be the top pitcher in the AL this year. The fact that he can be kept longer, even close to his full value makes it even more weighted in his favor. But it isn't a crazy offer--it is close, really. I'd still want to have clearly the better end of the secondary players, and I don't think you get that in Isbel over Dobnak. If you need pitching and can give up Trout, though, try to make the secondary player swap more weighted in your favor and do it.

Comment

Thanks Sour Masher. Anyone else?

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
        I love Bieber, but Trout for the win......
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
          I tend to like pitching more than anyone...but I would keep Trout or ask for more
          ---------------------------------------------
          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
          ---------------------------------------------
          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

It’s certainly fair, but I ain’t trading Trout ever.....

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
              I mean, this is probably the best thing to tell others, to avoid bad offers, but this cannot be true. If someone offers you Shane Bieber and Jose Ramirez for him in a 12 team AL only league where you two glaring weaknesses are SP and 3b and you are loaded in the OF, cuz they know they have 6 months to live and their dying wish is to own Trout just once, I think you would do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                I mean, this is probably the best thing to tell others, to avoid bad offers, but this cannot be true. If someone offers you Shane Bieber and Jose Ramirez for him in a 12 team AL only league where you two glaring weaknesses are SP and 3b and you are loaded in the OF, cuz they know they have 6 months to live and their dying wish is to own Trout just once, I think you would do it.
                If someone offered me Bieber & Ramirez for Trout, OK, I’d do it.

Comment

If someone offered me Bieber & Ramirez for Trout, OK, I’d do it.
                  Trouts Mom would make that deal.

Comment

So you'd take him 1.01 this year?

Comment

Obviously not in AL only, but if someone offered you Soto for Trout straight up I bet you would probably do it.

Comment

Is this obp or average? What’s the rest of your team like? There’s too much context for any of us to make an accurate assessment for you. It’s a fair trade but should you do it? Depends on team construct

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                          So you'd take him 1.01 this year?
                          I would...if I played AL-only.

And I wouldn't trade Trout for Bieber unless there was a player much better than Isbel attached to the deal.
                          2021 Auction Anatomy
                          2021 Keeper Decisions
                          2020 Auction Anatomy
                          2020 Pre-Auction
                          2015 Auction Anatomy
                          2014 Auction Anatomy
                          2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
                          RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

Working...
                          X