Dumping early is a bad strategy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumping early is a bad strategy

Why would anybody dump in April when we haven't seen prospects play in over a year?

I see it every year, guys dumping in April when we know almost nothing about the players being targeted.

I understand people believe there's a 'premium' supposedly paid for early deals. Last year I got 3 studs for Lux in April, but other than that, I believe the lack of information is a much bigger hindrance to receiving value than whatever premium could be offered.

I just said the same thing to a player in an email and thought I'd bring it up for discussion.

Anybody find any tactical edge to early dumping? I guess you could target prospects or players you believe will blow up this year before they play and demand more of a return. But I think that would be a narrow range of players, largely high money internationals that haven't had enough stateside exposure to get accurate scouting looks.
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

There is some advantage in being the only seller if there are multiple buyers. Plus the potential to choose what players to target before any other deals are made.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I guess if you come out of an auction and feel like you have no chance, you avoid the worst case scenario of your high-priced commodities getting hurt or diminishing their value with a bad start to the season. I mean, if you have a superstar who suffers a major injury in late April, you lost your chance to deal him.

I guess that's the justification. I've never dumped before like June or so, I don't think.

Comment

The practice is discouraged in my league, but has happened. Most often, if selling happens at all this time of year, it is of a specific type of asset--a player at high risk of injury that is doing well early. Last year, someone sold Stanton just a couple of games in, for instance. I agree that if you think the player will be healthy and do well, it is better to wait. There is risk in that, though. The player can get hurt or suck, ruining his trade value. I wish I'd have sold Paxton to the guy I outbid, for instance. He was offering decent prospects, but I am trying to win so it made no sense. If, however, I was a bottom tier team and he made that offer, I'd have jumped on it, for what are obvious reasons.

Comment

In both of my only leagues we cannot trade prospects until after the All Star Break.

If I am in the rebuilding mode I will trade my X contracts as soon as I can. It gives my assets the most value to my trading partners.

The expensive non-X contracts vary on how I trade them. Who ever finishes 5th gets first pick in the next season's reserve round. Our finishing position also effects how many keepers we get.

1=10 keepers
          2nd=11
          3rd=12
          4th =13
          5th=14
          6th=14
          7th=14
          8th=14
          9th=13
          10th=12
          11th=11
          12th=10 keepers

The All Star prospect rule plus the finishing/keeper rule was implemented (along with a couple of other things) to help control dumping. Dumping was threatening our league and diminishing the importance of our auction.

While not perfect is has helped a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by umjewman View Post
            I guess if you come out of an auction and feel like you have no chance, you avoid the worst case scenario of your high-priced commodities getting hurt or diminishing their value with a bad start to the season. I mean, if you have a superstar who suffers a major injury in late April, you lost your chance to deal him.
            I've only dumped early once, and I'm not even sure if it was late April, but it was somewhere close to there. I went all-in on the 2015 season in my AL only, came into 2016 with a terrible keeper list. Two of us in the league really liked Garrett Richards; I had him in '14 and '15, with his contract expiring in '15. Wanted to get him back, but got outbid to a pretty outrageous level by the other manager who mancrushed on him. I ended up spending big on David Price as part of my rebuilding Stars and Scrubs strategy.

Richards blew out his arm pretty early in 2016, and I got paranoid at that point, and traded Price shortly thereafter, and my high priced hitters shortly thereafter.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

In a couple of my leagues, the salary cap ends up being something of an incentive to dump early. I've seen a lot of instances where teams are already up against the cap in June, so you can't deal away high priced assets without a corresponding dollar drop, You can make it work, but it's not a lot of fun.
              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
              -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                I've only dumped early once, and I'm not even sure if it was late April, but it was somewhere close to there. I went all-in on the 2015 season in my AL only, came into 2016 with a terrible keeper list. Two of us in the league really liked Garrett Richards; I had him in '14 and '15, with his contract expiring in '15. Wanted to get him back, but got outbid to a pretty outrageous level by the other manager who mancrushed on him. I ended up spending big on David Price as part of my rebuilding Stars and Scrubs strategy.

Richards blew out his arm pretty early in 2016, and I got paranoid at that point, and traded Price shortly thereafter, and my high priced hitters shortly thereafter.
                Did you write about it back then? I have a vague remembrance of this.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                  In both of my only leagues we cannot trade prospects until after the All Star Break.

If I am in the rebuilding mode I will trade my X contracts as soon as I can. It gives my assets the most value to my trading partners.

The expensive non-X contracts vary on how I trade them. Who ever finishes 5th gets first pick in the next season's reserve round. Our finishing position also effects how many keepers we get.

1=10 keepers
                  2nd=11
                  3rd=12
                  4th =13
                  5th=14
                  6th=14
                  7th=14
                  8th=14
                  9th=13
                  10th=12
                  11th=11
                  12th=10 keepers

The All Star prospect rule plus the finishing/keeper rule was implemented (along with a couple of other things) to help control dumping. Dumping was threatening our league and diminishing the importance of our auction.

While not perfect is has helped a lot.
                  interesting rule that teams have different numbers of keepers based on finish.

Regarding the bolded point. Part of a keeper league is the ability to manage your team roster season over season. Not every team should expect to compete every year, even if they have a good auction - if they badly mismanaged their roster or traded away lots of pieces to compete the year before. Anyway, that's how I look at it. Which is I guess why it doesn't really matter to me if someone dumps in April or May or June - in the big picture of multiple seasons it doesn't really matter much. If a team is horrible they are going to trade their assets at some point, doesn't matter much to me when they do it. My perspective might be in the minority, I've certainly seen some extreme proposals for those who make dump trades early.
                  The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post

Regarding the bolded point. Part of a keeper league is the ability to manage your team roster season over season. Not every team should expect to compete every year, even if they have a good auction - if they badly mismanaged their roster or traded away lots of pieces to compete the year before. Anyway, that's how I look at it. Which is I guess why it doesn't really matter to me if someone dumps in April or May or June - in the big picture of multiple seasons it doesn't really matter much. If a team is horrible they are going to trade their assets at some point, doesn't matter much to me when they do it. My perspective might be in the minority, I've certainly seen some extreme proposals for those who make dump trades early.
                    I agree with everything you have written.

Others were tired of being in the money only to lose out by large lopsided trades on the last trading day. Too many good owners were thinking of leaving the leagues if something wasn't done.

I would rather play with these rules than not play in these leagues with these guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                      I agree with everything you have written.

Others were tired of being in the money only to lose out by large lopsided trades on the last trading day. Too many good owners were thinking of leaving the leagues if something wasn't done.

I would rather play with these rules than not play in these leagues with these guys.
                      Yeah, anti-dumping rules dont bother me, and I am fine with less restrictions. Having a good set of owners is a lot more important
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I'm in the middle.

In general I agree that keeper leagues are keeper leagues and there will be dumping, it is just part of the game.

However I've participated in leagues where, in order to compete for the top 3 spots, you HAVE to churn 1/3 of your roster from dumping teams. If you don't, you have no chance because the dumping teams dump so early and so dramatically that *not* participating in the dumb trades means you lose.

There's a middle ground there somewhere that we always try to find.

Comment

we had one owner who was the master of the 2 year plan. He would be the first to dump and could cherry pick the best keepers and also would have less chance of the start players he traded in getting hurt if he traded them in April. He pretty much won the league on even years.

Comment

Originally posted by cleo View Post
                            we had one owner who was the master of the 2 year plan. He would be the first to dump and could cherry pick the best keepers and also would have less chance of the start players he traded in getting hurt if he traded them in April. He pretty much won the league on even years.
                            Pretty cool that you are in a league with Bret Saberhagen
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Pretty cool that you are in a league with Bret Saberhagen
                              Wait, I think he was good in odd years
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                              X