Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Tale of Two Auctions (Very, very long read eventually)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Tale of Two Auctions (Very, very long read eventually)

It took me way too long to get this done, but I am trying to do a different take on my anatomy thread this year---comparing two different auctions where I was in somewhat similar positions. In one league, my keeper list was better and inflation was higher, but in both leagues, I had either the lowest or second lowest money stack going into auction; I kept production in both, but had value really only in one. Since this will be long enough anyway, I’ll just right into the first one without further ado.

Auction 1:

The first one is my main local league---the one with the weird rules, standard 5x5 (16-team), and $300 auction budget that I post about every year and had a post about my keepers in the off-season. FWIW, I did make the Gallen for Aaron Hicks trade, which I think was good since Gallen promptly got hurt, although Hicks is trying to make me regret it. I had the second best keeper list coming in, but the guy with the best had an insane keeper list. I’ll be following three teams for this anatomy: my team, the guy with the best keeper list (Dave), and the guy with the third best keeper list (Colin). I use the names Dave and Colin because they are in fact their real names, and I would get confused otherwise, lol. Dave’s keeper list was just sick: Betts $26, Soto $6, Robert $1, Darvish $29, Bauer $27, Richard Rodriguez $6, Yordan Alvarez –reserve round, Sixto Sanchez—reserve round, LeMahieu $27, Eugenio Suarez $29, but also Kim $6 (because he’s a Cardinals fan). He had $123 left for auction. I had Acuna $11, Albies $11, Flaherty $11, Bieber $40, Freeman $44, Bogaerts $38, Castellanos $22, Conforto $25, d’Arnaud $7, Pablo Lopez $6, Matt Barnes $8, Marquez $2 (but not locked in lineup like most keepers), and Hicks $3 (also not locked in lineup). I had $68 for 11 slots for auction. Colin had the cheap guys: Will Smith (the catcher) $1, Mancini $2, J.D. Davis $7, Adames $1, Gregorius $11, Santander $1, Solak $1, Happ $1, Bundy $5, Carrasco $12, Glasnow $21, Musgrove $9, Nick Anderson $6, Hendriks $6, LeClerc $7. He had $209 for auction.

My strategy was simple. Do nothing before lunch, then don’t spend more than $20 on anybody, except maybe low $20’s for an established closer to get a second behind my maybe closer in Barnes. Closers usually go for a lot in this league, so I knew I had to do that. I was willing to go to $25 on Luzardo because we have six SP and five RP slots and I only had one SP slot open and I wanted an extra starter to use as a platoon guy with Marquez when he was pitching at Coors. Because of our all positional eligibility from last year carries over rule, Luzardo was RP eligible until he gets five starts this year, so I could stash him at RP at auction and not use a reserve round pick for the extra starter I wanted---even $1 guys (my one free SP slot; Luzardo would be a permanent starter for me) at the end of auction are better than the reserve round SP’s. For the hitting slots (3B, CI, MI, OF, UT), I just wanted solid guys, maybe a little speed, but not too expensive since my keeper value is there. I was hoping for Edman for 3B, but didn’t have any particular targets that I was married to since I only had $68 and couldn’t really outbid anyone who really wanted a player. My hope was that the severe inflation that was inevitable would go to the top players I couldn’t get anyway and the SP’s who usually go for too much in this league that I didn’t need with five of six SP slots filled.

Early Auction: Before Lunch

The one thing that went right before lunch is that I followed my plan and did not roster a player before lunch, although maybe I should have. Everything else was a disaster for my plan. Nelson Cruz was surprisingly tossed first, and he went to the defending champ (who tossed him) for $32. Not as high as I expected given the inflation, but way too expensive for me. Then Winker went for $6 to the defending champ, too. Maybe I should have gotten involved there, too, but Cincy has too many OF for too few positions for my taste. Then Hader was tossed. I would have loved him, but I knew he would be too expensive for me. Colin got him for $33. Then the first biggie is tossed: deGrom, easily the best pitcher available (Scherzer is next best). Nightmare scenario---Dave gets him for $55, below his non-inflated value on my program. I can’t price enforce because I have a $59 max bid. I ask Dave later in the day, and he tells me he would have gone to at least $60, but would have dropped him on me to screw me up. This is not a good start for me. Trout is next, $66 in the program before inflation, and he goes to Colin, as I expected, but only for $64. Ughhh. Not only are my competitors getting what they need for good prices, this means that the inflation money will go to guys on my spending level. Next is Lance Lynn, and he goes to a non-contender for $20, $1 below his uninflated price on the program. Now SP’s, who always go for too much are getting discounts. This couldn’t really start much worse, and the problem with having a low money stack is that there is nothing you can do about it. Ozuna then goes for $40; above the uninflated price, but lower than I expected; he was my toss. Then Aroldis Chapman went for $32. After JP Crawford for $7 (no idea why he was tossed in the first round), Kimbrel goes for $16. I should have gotten in there, but I just worry that Kimbrel is done, so I don’t. That is something I will regret later. He is followed by Bellinger $50 (and would have been more but for someone bidding right as “sold” was said to me, but ruled after the sold) and Marte $34. Grandal goes next for $10, and the first round ends with a slew of expensive pitchers going with some inflation but not what I expected: Buehler $39, Nola $38, Scherzer $43.
    After the first round, inflation picked up with the $20-40 players, so I stayed out. The relevant players for me were Holland for $15 (still early, and I didn’t think he had full control of the job with Davis around), Rasiel Iglesias $29, Edwin Diaz $35, Rosenthal $21 (but he was already known to be out for a couple of weeks—still, Diekman went for $1 shortly before that—a total steal; not sure why I wasn’t in on him; I was reeling and not drafting well), Hand $26, Karinchak $27 (oops), Jansen $28, Romano $24 (oops again), and Gallegos $15 (!!—the other two St. Louis closer contenders were all kept by the same team who had no RP slots left for auction, lol). Speed with talent went nuts---$47 for Whit Merrifield (he also had 2B eligibility in this league, which did jack up the price). Luzardo also went during this time frame, but I already knew what was going to happen. The person drafting next to me had asked me very early (or before the start, I don’t remember) if I thought she could get a certain player for a certain price at auction. It was Luzardo for $30. I explained that no, I was getting him for less. So, when he came up, I bid her all the way up to $30 because I was annoyed at how everything was going. She got him for $30; this shows the danger of being friendly and asking such questions---you might be asking the only other person keying on your player. Keeping tabs on Dave and Colin, Dave got Blackmon for $27 (not a bad price, unfortunately) before lunch, and Colin got Edwin Diaz for $35 (apparently, he was paying for closers) and Stanton for $33 (that didn’t bother me) before lunch.

It's late, so that is all for Part I. Next up, Part II, where I actually get some players!

Part II

Middle Auction:

Things got really interesting for me right after lunch. By this point, there was a serious talent deficit, and there was still too much money left, but my money stack was more or less middle of the pack at that point, so I had to start getting players soon. Right after the break, Edman, more or less my only target, was tossed. The program had him in the high teens and inflation lower than at the start of the auction, but not gone. So I decided that I would go over $20 on him, if necessary. It didn’t matter, the big money stack went all the way up to $29 to get him. Yikes! Archie Bradley went next for $8---even non-closers with a shot were going for too much, but given my money, I was in the bidding---at that point I had decided that my bullpen strategy was to just grab a bunch of sorta/kinda closer types and hope for the best. Next out of the shoot was Yuli Gurriel. He is 3B eligible in this league due to 2019 playing time, so, while he wasn’t a target, I would go for him at a reasonable price. The program had his uninflated price as $13, and I would have gone a couple more at that point, but I got him for $13. Given the situation and my needing 3B and CI, I was happy to get him for that price---better than Edman at $29. A few tosses later, I got Tanner Scott at $6, which surprised me, since everyone thought he might be the closer then, but alas, he isn’t (this will be a common theme to the draft, lol). In the next part of the auction, I probably should have been in on Gregory Soto, who went for $8; Montero who went for $17; and Neris, who went for $9 (but had not been announced as closer then). This was another common theme for the draft for me---being completely wrong on who would be the closers---at least at the start of the season.

Shortly thereafter, a few hitters I was interested in went, but all for inflated prices: Hoskins for $26 (to Colin), Tapia for $22 (??), and Brantley for $26. The inflation continued to hit worst exactly where I wanted to buy. Even my handcuff of Ottavino went for $9; that was more than I was willing to pay. After a string of players I wasn’t interested in, at least at their prices, Hunter Dozier came out. He was my original backup plan for Edman, but with Gurriel in tow, I didn’t need him. Still, with our positional eligibility rules, he’s 3B/1B/OF, so I was still interested---then I could go OF or CI with my final OF/CI slot (I also needed MI and UT in hitting), which would help since CI was getting pretty ugly. He went for more than I wanted to spend, but my stack was probably top third at that point, so I got him for $18. A few tosses later, to my surprise, Colin grabbed Robbie Ray for $4. Given his injury issues at SP, I thought he would want someone better for that slot, but he took the lottery ticket. Half a round later, Emilio Pagan is tossed. At that time, he was the betting favorite for the closer’s job in San Diego, and I thought I should move on him. I got him for $16 that would have been completely wasted had he not gotten wins the first two days of the season. I was then happy with my bullpen (silly me; that $16 Kimbrel sure looked good at that point), but had $15 left for 6 (OF/CI, MI, UT, SP, and RP x 2). My biggest concern was at MI---OF is usually available and decent cheap at the end in this league, my bullpen was fine to me at the time, my final SP was never going to be an expensive guy, and UT can easily be filled. The reason I was really concerned was that the big money stack at the time needed SS and MI, and there wasn’t much left. Fortunately, inflation had gone to zero at that point, and, in retrospect, the only good part of my auction was the upcoming endgame. FWIW, during this period, Colin only got Hoskins, and Dave sat it out entirely.

Hopefully, this weekend, I'll have enough time to finish this, lol.

Comment

Endgame:

My toss was due up shortly after the endgame started (although admittedly, that is probably why I broke it there; the lines between the two are a bit blurry). Honestly, I screwed up in my last post; this toss was actually shortly before I got Pagan. Oops, sorry. Anyway, the selection at MI had gotten really bad at this point, and, as I mentioned before, the big stack needed SS and MI (and I thought 2B, too, but he had McNeil (2B eligible in this league) sitting in his OF, and I didn’t notice). The best MI left to me, at least, easily, was Jorge Polanco. The other options were guys like Elvis Andrus, Brandon Crawford, and David Fletcher unless you needed steals desperately and wanted to take a shot on Miles Straw. And with my good keeper list, I wanted solid, boring vets to fill out my lineup, not speculative plays. So I tossed Jorge Polanco, knowing I wouldn’t get him, and decided to get some cash out of the big stack, so I tossed him for $5. To my shock, I got crickets. Yes, I guess I might have gotten him for less, but I was very happy to get him for $5---a win is a win. Shortly thereafter, an annoying an inevitable thing happened. I had gotten the first pick in the reserve draft (random draw before the auction; I was in the bathroom, one of the people next to me drew it for me). The reserve round is where you get prospects---they can be kept free year to year until the year after they lose rookie eligibility. The only two top ones this year were Julio Rodriguez (he went in the auction and could only be kept if locked in lineup and he couldn’t, obviously) and Torkleson. So, Rodriguez was tossed then, in the auction, as I expected, and as a contender without a reserve round keeper to stick in the lineup for him, I couldn’t really bid. A team with a lesser keeper list got him for $3. I was surprised that Dave, with Yordan Alvarez sitting on his reserve roster to take the UT slot, didn’t go more for him.

At this point I have $11 for five slots (OF/CI, UT, SP, RPx2), (yes, I miscounted earlier somehow; I am doing this post really poorly this year) but I felt fine since I foolishly thought my bullpen was okay, and didn’t plan on spending anything on the three pitching slots. Money was getting tight everywhere, and I figured there were enough OF types around that I would be fine with (solid, boring vets) that I could fill those two slots with the money I had. Adam Eaton came out at this point---exactly the type I was looking for---boring vet with a little speed, and I got him for $4. Now $6 for 4 players. Two tosses later I grabbed Matt Bush (another maybe closer; apparently not and now seriously injured) for $3. That left me with $4 for 3 slots. So, with only one bid except $1 tosses to make, I was just going to toss anybody I didn’t care that much about who would get a bid. So, I tossed Dallas Keuchel with my next toss, and, to my surprise, got him for a buck. Not my target at all, but I won’t argue with it with him in that division and that lineup behind him. FWIW, Dave and Colin got nobody this entire time. A bit weird, but it happens sometimes in an auction—I went from getting nobody to getting lots of players relatively quickly. The big money stack did fill his middle infield, however, with Andrus at $7 and Fletcher at $3. I will still happy with Polanco at $5. At this point, Colin jumped in, grabbing Jordan Montgomery for $5 and LaStella for $5 in the span of three tosses. My next toss, I threw out Keynan Middleton since he has closing experience and Montero is fragile. I got him for my $1. Now, I just have $2 for my UT slot.

At this point, I don’t have a plan. I just randomly bid $2 on anyone acceptable to me for my UT slot. And there isn’t enough money to toss anyone with the expectation that someone will bid $3, so when I toss, it has to be the best guy I can find. But there is some money still around; at this time Thor goes for $7 to the team that got Rodriguez; that made some sense. Then Torkleson is tossed. Annoying for me with the first reserve round pick, but this was expected. Again, to my surprise, Dave does not get him; he goes to a different rebuilding team for $3 when Dave could have bid more. Dave then grabs Austin Nola for $1 for his catcher slot, and Colin grabs Jesus Aguilar for $1. Those buys don’t bother me in the slightest. A couple of tosses later, Dave goes on a spree to fill out his roster, getting Brian Anderson for $3, Knebel for $2, and Mitch Moreland for $1 on three consecutive tosses. Nothing horrible in those, but nothing that bothers me, either. At this point, many teams have finished---including one who finished with an $18 Matt Wisler---he was stuck not spending his money, and our in-season salary cap and floor rules make it a good thing to spend it all regardless, so he picked the RP he wanted and spent it all. My toss comes back up, and I toss Jonathan India for $2. While he’s not a solid, boring veteran, he has upside, and will soon have positional flexibility of 3B/2B, which helps when trying to replace injured guys---he can be my back-up MI. To my surprise, again, Dave passes, and I get him for $2. Now, I am done, and happy about how the draft ended. Dave then gets Doolittle for $2, Minter for $1, and Roberto Osuna for $1, finishing a bullpen that doesn’t look any better than mine, which I love since we came in more or less even (both having one cheap meatball closer) and he had far more money. He also grabs Verlander for $1 to try to use as a dump candidate mid-season; he has Sixto Sanchez as a reserve round keeper for that slot. Dave then finishes up the auction with Miggy for $1 for his UT slot after passing on Rodriguez, Torkleson, and India. I won’t argue with that. He also grabs Andrelton Simmons to finish his roster---Simmons is Mr. Irrelevant as the last pick of the auction. Dave leaves $1 on the table, and Colin leaves $3.

Reserve Draft

I’ll just mention my reserve round picks because the other teams’ picks aren’t really that interesting; then again, mine probably aren’t. With only ONeil Cruz as a reserve round keeper, I have 11 picks. My goals are to get some minor leaguers to replenish the farm, get some SP’s---especially one to platoon with Marquez when he is pitching at Coors, and a couple of hitters with every day jobs for some depth on offense. I have the first pick. To me, it is between the safe and obvious pick of Austin Martin and the interesting speculative pick of Pedro Leon. Since it is a snake, my next pick is #32, so nobody is making it back to me. I go safe and take Martin. Leon goes #5. I expected Dave to get Leon---he always goes for the Cubans, but he didn’t make it to Dave. My plan with #32 and #33 was to grab the best two SP’s available, but there were minor league eligible guys too good to pass up that made it back to me, so I grabbed Edwin Rios and Bobby Bradley. Both are “free keeper” eligible (what we call reserve round keepers) and both could help a lot this year---a win-win. Another Jake Bauers failure and Bradley is up, and almost any infield injury in LA makes Rios a starter with massive upside. On my next set of picks, I go for my SP’s, and make perhaps my biggest mistake of the day. I grab whatever is left---Quintana and Bryce Wilson. Unfortunately for me, the rules of eligibility in this league are very tricky, and both are actually RP eligible only until they get five starts this year. I only figure this out when I try to bench Marquez for the first half-week of the season since he has only a Coors start against the Dodger. Oops. My WHIP still hates me for this (Marquez gave up six walks and six hits in four innings, but amazingly only one ER because of the Bellinger HR that became a long RBI single because he passed Turner on the base paths). The remainder of my reserve round picks were Ronald Guzman, Josh Staumont, Jose De Leon, Piscotty, Alek Thomas, and Michael Harris---the one player who was a true target for me at the draft, who I was sure to get because nobody else was going to take him.
      Here are the three teams followed in this post:

POS Me SAL Dave SAL Colin SAL
      C Travis d’Arnaud $7 Austin Nola $1 Will Smith $1
      1B Freddie Freeman $44 Paul Goldschmidt $25 Trey Mancini $2
      3B Yuli Gurriel $13 Eugenio Suarez $25 J.D. Davis $7
      CI Hunter Dozier $18 Mitch Moreland $1 Rhys Hoskins $26
      2B Ozzie Albies $11 D.J LeMahieu $29 Tommy LaStella $5
      MI Jorge Polanco $5 Andrelton Simmons $1 Didi Gregorius $11
      SS Xander Bogaerts $38 Aldaberto Mondesi $11 Willy Adames $1
      OF1 Ronald Acuna, Jr. $11 Mookie Betts $26 Anthony Santander $1
      OF2 Nick Castellanos $22 Juan Soto $6 Ian Happ $1
      OF3 Michael Conforto $25 Luis Robert $1 Nick Solak $1
      OF4 Aaron Hicks $1 Charlie Blackmon $27 Mike Trout $64
      OF5 Adam Eaton $4 Brian Anderson $3 Giancarlo Stanton $33
      UT Jonathan India $2 Miguel Cabrera $1 Jesus Aguilar $1
      SP1 Jack Flaherty $11 Yu Darvish $29 Tyler Glasnow $21
      SP2 Shane Bieber $40 Zack Wheeler $11 Joe Musgrove $9
      SP3 Frankie Montas $6 Trevor Bauer $27 Dylan Bundy $5
      SP4 Pablo Lopez $6 Kwang-Hyun Kim $6 Carlos Carrasco $12
      SP5 German Marquez $2 Jacob deGrom $55 Robbie Ray $4
      SP6 Dallas Keuchel $1 Justin Verlander $1 Jordan Montgomery $5
      RP1 Matt Barnes $8 Richard Rodriguez $6 Jose LeClerc $7
      RP2 Scott Tanner $6 Corey Knebel $2 Nick Anderson $6
      RP3 Emilio Pagan $15 Sean Doolittle $2 Liam Hendriks $6
      RP4 Matt Bush $3 A.J. Minter $1 Josh Hader $33
      RP5 Keynan Middleton $1 Roberto Osuna $2 Edwin Diaz $35
      Res1 ONeil Cruz Yordan Alvarez J.J. Bleday
      Res2 Austin Martin Sixto Sanchez Kristian Robinson
      Res3 Edwin Rios Victor Mesa Erick Pena
      Res4 Bobby Bradley Kohei Arihara Riley Greene
      Res5 Jose Quintana Asa Lacey Jazz Chisholm
      Res6 Bryse Wilson Craig Stammen Nolan Jones
      Res7 Ronald Guzman Joely Rodriguez Ronny Mauricio
      Res8 Josh Staumont Mike Minor Nick Gonzales
      Res9 Jose De Leon Miles Mikolas Jordan Groshans
      Res10 Stephen Piscotty Darren O’Day Max Meyer
      Res11 Alek Thomas Dellin Betances Blake Treinen
      Res12 Michael Harris Yadier Molina Alex Cobb
      $300 $299 $297
      My final thoughts on this one are that I started poorly and Dave rocked it early. Late, I closed and he faded. However, he did enough to maintain his huge advantage, while I did enough to be the solid favorite for second. At least I just need only one team to have bad injury/performance luck while I don’t to have a legit shot to win. Thoughts?
      Last edited by cavebird; 04-11-2021, 03:23 PM. Reason: Working on formatting

Comment

Sorry, folks, even replacing tabs from the cut and paste with spaces doesn't help the formatting at the end. Does anyone know how to do something like that? Well, that's my solution, but I will finish formatting later; this is hopelessly slow.
        Last edited by cavebird; 04-10-2021, 10:51 PM.

Comment

What about using this:

POS Me SAL Dave SAL Colin SAL
          C Travis d’Arnaud $7 Austin Nola $1 Will Smith $1
          1B Freddie Freeman $44 Paul Goldschmidt $25 Trey Mancini $2
          3B Yuli Gurriel $13 Eugenio Suarez $25 J.D. Davis $7
          CI Hunter Dozier $18 Mitch Moreland $1 Rhys Hoskins $26
          2B Ozzie Albies $11 D.J LeMahieu $29 Tommy LaStella $5
          MI Jorge Polanco $5 Andrelton Simmons $1 Didi Gregorius $11
          SS Xander Bogaerts $38 Aldaberto Mondesi $11 Willy Adames $1
          OF1 Ronald Acuna, Jr. $11 Mookie Betts $26 Anthony Santander $1
          OF2 Nick Castellanos $22 Juan Soto $6 Ian Happ $1
          OF3 Michael Conforto $25 Luis Robert $1 Nick Solak $1
          OF4 Aaron Hicks $1 Charlie Blackmon $27 Mike Trout $64
          OF5 Adam Eaton $4 Brian Anderson $3 Giancarlo Stanton $33
          UT Jonathan India $2 Miguel Cabrera $1 Jesus Aguilar $1
          SP1 Jack Flaherty $11 Yu Darvish $29 Tyler Glasnow $21
          SP2 Shane Bieber $40 Zack Wheeler $11 Joe Musgrove $9
          SP3 Frankie Montas $6 Trevor Bauer $27 Dylan Bundy $5
          SP4 Pablo Lopez $6 Kwang-Hyun Kim $6 Carlos Carrasco $12
          SP5 German Marquez $2 Jacob deGrom $55 Robbie Ray $4
          SP6 Dallas Keuchel $1 Justin Verlander $1 Jordan Montgomery $5
          RP1 Matt Barnes $8 Richard Rodriguez $6 Jose LeClerc $7
          RP2 Scott Tanner $6 Corey Knebel $2 Nick Anderson $6
          RP3 Emilio Pagan $15 Sean Doolittle $2 Liam Hendriks $6
          RP4 Matt Bush $3 A.J. Minter $1 Josh Hader $33
          RP5 Keynan Middleton $1 Roberto Osuna $2 Edwin Diaz $35
          Res1 ONeil Cruz Yordan Alvarez J.J. Bleday
          Res2 Austin Martin Sixto Sanchez Kristian Robinson
          Res3 Edwin Rios Victor Mesa Erick Pena
          Res4 Bobby Bradley Kohei Arihara Riley Greene
          Res5 Jose Quintana Asa Lacey Jazz Chisholm
          Res6 Bryse Wilson Craig Stammen Nolan Jones
          Res7 Ronald Guzman Joely Rodriguez Ronny Mauricio
          Res8 Josh Staumont Mike Minor Nick Gonzales
          Res9 Jose De Leon Miles Mikolas Jordan Groshans
          Res10 Stephen Piscotty Darren O’Day Max Meyer
          Res11 Alek Thomas Dellin Betances Blake Treinen
          Res12 Michael Harris Yadier Molina Alex Cobb
          $300 $299 $297
          2021 Auction Anatomy
          2021 Keeper Decisions
          2020 Auction Anatomy
          2020 Pre-Auction
          2015 Auction Anatomy
          2014 Auction Anatomy
          2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
          RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

Cavebird - Great stuff! I think you did really well on hitting given your budget constraints - Polanco/5, Eaton/4, and India/2 mesh in really well with your team. Polanco and Eaton are boring, but provide a nice floor of counting stats and another 15 or so SBs and good BA support. India is higher risk, but man, in Cinci, that could be a really high reward pick, too. RPs might just pan out - Middleton might find his way into at least part-time saves sooner rather than later, and Tanner Scott could also. Keuchel for a buck in a 16-team? Yeah, you bet. Sure, the ratios last year are an illusion, but there could be plenty of wins and a decent enough ERA.

Dave will still be tough to beat, but maybe Bauer will get a 20-game suspension or something for doctoring baseballs.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Wow, ThatRogue! How did you do that. Very awesome. I will replace my garbage with that.

Thanks chancellor---I thought I did okay given that the inflation went where I didn't want it to go. (Although I must admit that I already dropped Middleton for Devenski, who promptly blew a save and went on the restricted list. Ugh.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                Wow, ThatRogue! How did you do that. Very awesome. I will replace my garbage with that.

I pasted your info into Excel and did a bit of tweaking to the cells to get the formatting to work. My old accounting and finance skills have some residual value. LOL
                2021 Auction Anatomy
                2021 Keeper Decisions
                2020 Auction Anatomy
                2020 Pre-Auction
                2015 Auction Anatomy
                2014 Auction Anatomy
                2011 Auction Anatomy

Comment

Oh, wow. So you can cut and paste from Excel here? That makes it a lot easier, although the tweaking may be beyond my abilities, lol.

Comment

Oh yeah...Excel makes it much easier! I used Data > Text to Columns so I could manipulate the data, then used Concatenate to recombine the names in a single column, then some formatting. It took a bit of time to get it right, but I'm sure you can do it. And now I have some time this morning to document my thoughts on your actual auction (been meaning to do so for a couple of days LOL).

Auction 1: WOW...Dave's team is loaded. Yours is too, but his is so much cheaper. And Colin has an enviable pitching base, plus the budget to get the offense he needs. Your strategy makes sense, but considering your ATL fandom, I'm surprised you didn't target Ynoa for that RP slot instead of budgeting $25 for the much more expensive Luzardo. That would seem to give you more flexibility in your targets while prepping, and prevent one other owner from blowing up your draft plan.

Early Auction: Despite your draft plan, I think Winker at $6 was too juicy to pass up. Seemed like a very solid value early in the draft, especially considering your budget. Is Colin a Yankees fan? With as good as his roster is, WHY take a risk on Stanton at that price? Too much injury history and not much upside unless he returns to his 2017-2018 production. Diaz feels pricey too, though I understand the need to spend on one that seems locked into the role. It seems like he's giving back some of his keeper advantage, which should have made you feel good. In hindsight, Lance Lynn at $21 (maybe) would have been a nice buy for the money you allocated for Luzardo.

Middle Auction: Edman is a nice player but $29? YIKES! Y.Gurriel at $13 feels like a solid buy, so nice pivot (although I'm risk averse to older players as the drop off could come at any time). Dozier was expensive and it's unfortunate the Friars went with Melancon over Pagan (there was no way to know that at the time...and paying $17+ for Kimbrel would have been scary for most people with contending rosters). Colin picking Robbie Ray seems odd too...he's taking on risk like he has a modestly decent keeper list instead of an excellent one. umjewman often talk about how owners with stong keeper lists should buy the safest stat generators available, and only use one or two cheap endgame slots for upside picks. I'm surprised he's going this route.

Endgame: Polanco as a $5 crickets pick is surprising. That feels like a miss on the part of the whole league, unless there's a strong feeling that last season's drop off will persist. I like the Eaton buy too...if healthy all season, there's some serious upside at that price. India is a nice lottery ticket, having won the 2B job and playing in a dynamic Reds offense. And Keuchel for a buck plus Rios in the reserve round should both return decent value.

Thanks for documenting your draft! It was a fun read and I enjoyed the ebb and flow of your reactions to the draft not going as expected. Your team looks to be in a nice position going into the season. Of course, Dave's big-three SPs should dominate and Colin's multi-closer strategy should serve him reasonably well...but both have pitching holes (Dave appears short on saves and Colin is short on pitcher counting stats). Plus with Colin, Hoskins alone was expensive (but doable with his cheap keepers), but I really think he should have made better use of the $68 he spent on Diaz and Stanton).

It'll be fun to see the season play out. Keep us in the loop!
                    2021 Auction Anatomy
                    2021 Keeper Decisions
                    2020 Auction Anatomy
                    2020 Pre-Auction
                    2015 Auction Anatomy
                    2014 Auction Anatomy
                    2011 Auction Anatomy

Comment

Thanks for the comments! FWIW, I avoided Winker for the same reason I didn't put much FAAB on Naquin. Other than Castellanos who will play because of the contract, the lack of a DH in the NL this year makes me very scared about the rest of the Reds OFs because there are just too many of them who could get really hot and bump someone. Still, at that price, he was probably worth the risk---I probably just ducked because Dave could have kept him for $6 or $7 and offered him to the whole league in the off-season, but he would have been locked-in-lineup, and nobody took the bait because o the Reds' OF crowdedness. This is almost certainly why he was tossed second, too. I should not have let that cloud my judgment when he wouldn't have been locked-in-lineup, but I probably did.

Comment

Right before the next installment (this is about two auctions, lol), I will also note that Ynoa was not on my radar because all sources indicated that the Braves would call up Bryce Wilson to be the fifth starter when necessary (and he did end up on my roster), but they decided to go with the bullpen game instead, and Ynoa stole thejob. Hat tip to him; the Braves need all the pitchers they can find right now. Now, back to the stuff previously scheduled.

Auction 2:

This league is a 15-team mixed, 5x5 with OBP instead of AVG, standard positions (1 C, 2 UT), and the auction is online (CBS) with mostly RJ guys---revo is the commish. There is a standard $260 budget, but with $6 extra because we auction the six reserves. There are a maximum of 6 major league keepers and three minor league keepers, selected before the auction. I normally don’t do a write up of this auction, but this year I thought it was an interesting juxtaposition with the other league since I came in a somewhat similar position---my keeper list wasn’t nearly as good and inflation wasn’t nearly as bad, but I had expensive keepers and the same strategy of going for middle tier and lower players—and the auction came out very differently not due to any particularly different performance by me, but because of things beyond my control.

In this auction, I got to toss first as defending champ. I am sure I mentioned this on RJ last season, but I am sure I will tell this story forever. This was my ultimate smash and grab. I was down 40 points and in 10th with three weeks to go. I was 20 points down with a week to go, but I was surging and the leader was fading fast. By the time both me and the leader had both of our teams finished on the final Sunday, we were tied for first. The only relevant player left was Jorge Polanco, who was on a team that wasn’t a contender, but he was due up third in the bottom of the ninth against Cleveland, and that team was just behind me in OBP (close enough that Polanco getting on base costs me a point) and tied with the other leader in runs. So, I needed Polanco to somehow score without getting on base. But this was 2020, and I got my miracle---the Twins went down 1-2-3 in the ninth, with Polanco getting out, but the score was 5-5, so Polanco was the runner on second in the bottom of the 10th and scored. I can’t imagine ever winning a league like that again. There might be a reason Polanco keeps showing up on my rosters this year, lol.

My major league keepers were Freeman $35, Andrew Vaughn $1, Aldaberto Mondesi $15, Marcell Ozuna $23, Bauer $26, Ryu $13. My minor league keepers were Brujan, Manning, and Pedro Leon. That’s tons of production without a ton of value in this format. My plan was similar to the previous auction---skip the (hopefully) over-priced studs , then get the second level. I did have $153, so if the studs were too cheap, I could compete, but I was the low money stack at the start, and while stars and scrubs is viable in a 15-team mixed, I already had plenty of stars.

Early Auction:

This auction could not have started more differently than the other one. I tossed Gerrit Cole; he went for $48, well above even the program’s inflated price. It was the same with Betts for $51, Trout for $52, Bieber for $44, Story for $45, Lindor for $44, Snell for $31, Darvish for $36, Realmuto for $23, Nola for $33, and Springer for $26, who all went in the first round. Per the program, inflation went from 13.5% at the start of the auction down to 5.4% just in the first round. Round 2 started similarly. I tossed Yelich; he went for $47. Then Machado went for $40, followed by Scherzer $32, Goldschmidt $24, Glasnow $35, Buehler $36, Marte $29, Rendon $34, Bogaerts $37, Vlad $27, Judge $31, and Strasburg $25. At that point, inflation is almost gone (3% per the program), and I jump in and grab Contreras for $11. Given how well the draft was going for me, I felt I could splurge for a catcher who could be actually good. Bregman then went for $33, and Ohtani went for $13 to close round two. I started Round 3 by tossing Lynn; he went for $26. Berrios went for $21 next; then Greinke for $18. Prices were coming down. After that, Merrifield went for $28, followed by Arenado $28, Altuve $21, and Cruz $18 (I should have jumped in on that). That, according to the program, put inflation to zero, only 36 picks into the auction. It was time to move on the right players. But that will happen in the next post---the Middlegame.

Comment

Middlegame:

I was ready to strike at this point, but the prices didn’t really calm down for a bit. Liam Hendriks went for $17, and I was in on him, but closers in this league tend to go far more cheaply than the other one (there aren’t five designated RP slots in this league), and I preferred Hader for the extra K’s. Then Woodruff went for $33, but I didn’t want to pay for an ace with Bauer and Ryu in tow. He was followed by Kyle Hendricks for $25, which seemed wildly high to me. Then a couple of White Sox went, Tim Anderson for $29 and Abreu for $27, but I wasn’t interested at those prices with Freeman and Mondesi as keepers. Grandal went next for $9, which was a fair price, but I already had Contreras. He was followed by Paddack for $17, Willie Calhoun for $1, and Morton for $18. Those were better prices, but not the guys I wanted. Hader came up next, and I got him for $23. Maybe a slight overpay, but his K’s should make him the most valuable RP without considering the vagaries of saves. Other than Matt Olson at $24, the prices that followed were getting better and better: Dominic Smith $12; Eugenio Suarez $29 (okay, that wasn’t a great price); Castellanos $19; Blackmon $16; Jansen $16; and Rizzo and Baez, both for $21. I would be in on Baez at that price, but it is an OBP league and I already have an anchor in Mondesi. J.D. Martinez came out next, and I was shocked to get him for only $20. I usually don’t like to clog my UT slot early, but with two UT slots, I had no problem with that. Now I was getting that warm and fuzzy feeling, although that might have been the beer (the draft was the night before opening day, for which I always take off work). At this point, I have $99 for 20 players, but six are auctioned reserves, so it is more like $93 for $14. I have to be economical, but get the guys I want.

The next picks, other than Conforto for $34 (apparently, two Mets fans, lol) are fair, but not my guys. I sit for a while, but then grab Donaldson for $17. That was a risky pick, but I need OBP, and maybe this is a healthy-ish year for him (so far, not so much). I sit for a while again, then grab Soroka for $8. Maybe my whole team will miss the whole year, lol. Still, at that price, I’ll take the chance. I next overpay for Montas at $10. I will go down with the Sporer ship on him, and I’ll be driven nuts the entire time. I next take Morejon at $2; I had no idea that he’s a massive injury risk, too. My pitching might be a problem, lol. My next buy is Canha at $9, which I like in an OBP league, and I need OF anyway. I need an MI, so my next buy is McMahon for $5, which works for me, and this one actually has worked so far. I then get Jorge Polanco for $5 (I just had to) to finish my MI. Shortly thereafter, it gets towards dollar days, and I can’t update my program anymore, so that’s all for my analysis, and that begins the next phase---the endgame. I’ll post that once I find the draft results on CBS, lol.

Comment

Endgame and Final Roster:

Since I am going by CBS here, I don’t have a full order or any of that stuff, so I’ll just give the rest of the players I got. I got Eddie Rosario for $15, which I loved, but this is actually out of order, I got him right after Donaldson, but missed him when making the last post, which is bad, because I think he was one of my best buys of the auction. I got A.J. Pollock for $4, which seemed fair for him; he was actually after Canha—I am apparently really bad at this. After Jorge Polanco, the next guy I got was Gregory Polanco at $2. That was not intentional---I had timed out trying to still do my program, and CBS auto-bid it for me. That caused me to abandon doing the program. I finished out my roster with: Sam Hilliard $4 (lottery ticket); Kikuchi $2 (I really like him for this year); Cesar Hernandez $3 (MI insurance with Mondesi hurt); Tsutsugo $2 (a nice bench piece in an OBP league, I think); Chris Martin $1 (another guy to join my IL); Ottavino $2 (I was a closer short, so I went for random possibilities); Matt Bush $1 (like Martin and Ottovino combined; a closer lottery ticket who got hurt); Edwin Rios $1; and Daniel Hudson $1. No money left on the table because I left out getting Gonsolin for $5 earlier.

So here’s the roster:

C: Willson Contreras $11
                            1B: Freddie Freeman $35 (Keeper)
                            CI: Andrew Vaughn $1 (Keeper)
                            3B: Josh Donaldson $17
                            2B: Ryan McMahon $5
                            MI: Jorge Polanco $5
                            SS: Aldaberto Mondesi $15 (Keeper)
                            OF: Marcel Ozuna $23 (Keeper)
                            OF: Eddie Rosario $15
                            OF: Mark Canha $9
                            OF: A.J. Pollock $4
                            OF: Gregory Polanco $2
                            UT: J.D. Martinez $20
                            UT: Sam Hilliard $4

P: Trevor Bauer $26 (Keeper)
                            P: Hyun-Jin Ryu $13 (Keeper)
                            P: Mike Soroka $8
                            P: Frankie Montas $10
                            P: Adrian Morejon $2
                            P: Tony Gonsolin $5
                            P: Josh Hader $23
                            P: Yusei Kikuchi $2
                            P: Chris Martin $1

Res: Cesar Hernandez $3
                            Res: Yoshitomo Tsutsugo $2
                            Res: Adam Ottavino $2
                            Res: Matt Bush $1
                            Res: Edwin Rios $1
                            Res: Daniel Hudson $1

Farm: Vidal Brujan
                            Farm: Matt Manning
                            Farm: Pedro Leon

Overall, I felt this auction went better than the first, but the two teams are more or less equal contenders because I had a better keeper list in the first league. I am a closer short in both leagues, but I like my hitting in both, and my rotations should be good in both if (A) Montas isn't horrible and (B) my entire rotation in this one doesn't miss most of the season. All thoughts appreciated. Thanks to all who read all of this and waited for the completion.

Comment

Working...
                            X