Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021 Anatomy of an Auction Draft (Very Long Read)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 Anatomy of an Auction Draft (Very Long Read)

I'll start off saying I miss Judge Jude, especially his annual spring training insights and his ruminations leading up to his draft. He inspired many of us amateur writers to document our own draft experiences, which has become a rite of spring here at RJ. So Jude, I hope we hear from you soon, and that you'll fill us in on how life is treating you...and how goes your preparation for this season.

I won't recount the pre-draft process, which you can read here. The league details are: NL-only, 40 man rosters (25 active, 15 reserve), $280 budget, 5x5 (OBP instead of BAvg). In addition to keeping up to 15 players, pre-auction, a team may protect an additional 3 minor league exempt players (MLE), at no salary impact (first year of contract starts when they exceed MLB rookie minimums of 130 AB/50 IP). Hitting inflation tends to run between 35% - 45%, and pitching inflation tends to run between 15% - 25%, depending on the season. This year RotoLab calculated hitting inflation at 44% and pitching inflation at 11% at the beginning of the draft.

The Set-Up:
    As Saturday begins, I'm already a bit apprehensive. I'm focused on mistakes I feel I've already made. I had Lucas Sims relatively cheaply last season, but let him go to acquire another player via FAAB. In the Winter Waiver process, I claimed a $1 Dylan Floro and passed on a $1 Elias Diaz, who would have filled one of my cheap catcher slots very nicely. During roster freeze, I tossed back a $3 Alzolay, whom I could have put into a salary exempt minor league slot, in order to keep three minor leaguers that probably won't reach the majors this season. But I try to push aside these things and focus on the task at hand...putting together a team that can compete for the title. Following last season's fourth place finish, this team has some very solid keepers...and my strategy/draft plan should position it well. Here's what I'm working with:

CI: Alonso $18, Suarez $39, Aguilar $8
    MI: C.Taylor $6, M.Dubon $7, M.Rojas $1
    OF: Acuna $22, V.Robles $18, K.Calhoun $18, Tapia $5, Hilliard $2
    P: Pomeranz $1, Floro $1, D.Hudson $3
    MLE: R.Mauricio, H.Bishop, H.Greene

That's 14 keepers for $149, leaving me $131 to draft seven pitchers, two catchers and two UT players.

The Plan:
    If you know anything about my draft tendencies you'll know I DESPISE having to pay for pitchers. They blow up ratios, get displaced as closer, and suffer season ending injuries far too often to rely on them. I've had previous success building staffs of cheap pitchers, but it is getting more and more difficult to pull off. So this year, I left myself no choice but to focus on building a viable staff. I'd like to acquire one top tier pitcher ($25 - $30), one "solid & stable" pitcher ($20 - $25), two decent mid-tier pitchers ($10 - $15), a cheap "closer" ($10 - $15) and two cheap pitchers with upside ($5 total). Ideally, I'll pull this off for ~$90, which would leave me ~$41 for a big UT hitter, a UT hitter with upside, and two cheap catchers. Here's what I put together as my "Preferred Plan", going in:

C: McCann $9 or Narvaez $6
    C: Eliser Diaz, Vogt or Casali $1
    UT: Cron $28 - $31 or B. Anderson $18 - $21
    UT: Cooper $8 or Owings $3 (Alternately Gregory Polanco around $13 - $16, if I wind up with Anderson instead of Cron)
    SP1: Snell $26 or Darvish/Castillo $31
    SP2: Fried or Hendricks $23
    SP3: Taijuan Walker $15 - $18
    SP4: Freddie Peralta $8 - $10
    SP5: Logan Webb $1 - $5
    RP1: Hand/Jansen $18 or Bass $13
    RP2: Lucas Sims $1 - $5
    Other cheap pitching targets (reserves?): Lucchesi, Lindblom, Yamamoto, PonceDeLeon, Alzolay, Jimmy Nelson, Curtiss, Chuck Smith, Rowan Wick

If I can stay close to my price targets, I'm probably not going to be flexible as I'm aiming for a balance between strikeout upside, wins potential, and ratio stability. Many of the teams have kept good pitchers, so my targets are based on the pitchers I think are best in those price slots. There are several pitchers I don't want on my roster UNLESS they are priced significantly below projections, as I just don't trust them to provide the stats I need this season (Carrasco - liked him pre-spring training injuries, Price, Corbin, MadBum, Weaver, Soria, Bradley). So I'm going in with a plan that I feel relatively good about...and we'll see how it goes.

Unfortunately there are a few wildcards that can throw a monkey wrench into my situation. First, we're using CBS's online auction tool for the first time ever (we normally go around the room with bids, and if an owner drops out of the bidding, they can't jump back in)...so I'm concerned that could push prices higher than normal. Second, there's at least one team and possibly two that are playing for next season. If they target any of the players in my plan, they can easily push the prices much higher than I'm comfortable spending. And finally, umjewman and Dreamteam (last season's winner and the heavy favorite to repeat this season) have identified a few of my targets, and I've done little to throw them off the scent. umjewman is fairly well set at SP, and can't really waste too much money enforcing as getting stuck early would hamper his draft. Meanwhile Dreamteam (who also needs several pitchers) has been open about his own interests/targets, and we don't have too much overlap unless something goes terribly wrong.

Oh, and did I mention that I'm now the commissioner...which means I have administrative things to manage, in addition to my team? Alright...enough talking about the plan...let's get into the draft.

Let's get this party started: The first round:
    So our previous commissioner is celebrating his 20th wedding anniversary and can't attend the draft. Thus our former commissioner before him, who recently left the league due to ever-increasing work responsibilities is drafting on his behalf. Except, he's running late due to his son's soccer match and has the team on auto-draft. Of course, the system leads with Mmmmoookiie and wow...is this auction process fast. Before we know what's happened his price has reached the mid $50s, but, inexplicably, it stalls out. RotoLab (RL) has him at $60 with our inflation, but the bidding stops at $56. The next throw (umjewman) is Conforto, the highest rated OF and valued at $38...but the fast bidding process stalls out at $35. So early bidding is a little lower than expected, which does happen sometimes but I didn't think it would happen with the online auction.

The next two throws are Realmuto ($30) and Trea Turner ($55), who both go to the commishes, but don't fit his historical bidding tendencies. When we reach out, the bidding commish is ten minutes away, but said his instructions don't have Realmuto nor Turner at those prices. Thus we roll back the auction and start over when he arrives.The good news is that everyone got a couple of rounds to adjust to this way of bidding, and, when we restarted the draft, umjewman had to spend an extra buck ($36) to get Conforto. The bad news is that without the system autobidding, Turner only went for $50 and Realmuto only went for $25. Hitting inflation is actually increasing during the draft...

Relatively early in the round, the better pitching names are thrown. Castillo comes out first and Dreamteam goes full boat, getting him for $36 ($3 cheaper than he went last season). After missing out on Scherzer ($30), Dreamteam also goes to $31 for Darvish (I was in up to $29 but couldn't bring myself to chase into the low $30s). Now I think this is good for me, because with him buying his big pitchers I don't think he'll enforce me too hard on some of the mid-$20s pitchers I'm targeting. Umjewman is able to land Lindor for $40, which feels like a relative bargain in our league even though RotoLab only had him at $33 (all of my quoted RL prices are as of the start of the auction). He's now spent $76 of his $112 budget, so I feel he also won't go too hard enforcing me, despite knowing my interests.

Thus I lead with Snell, whom I think can be a top-three NL pitcher that goes for more of a mid top-ten auction price. I'm feeling good when the bidding slows a bit in the low-to-mid $20s...and wait until 5 seconds remain to bid $25. But someone else goes to $26 and although I'm not happy I won't be deterred. I confidently bid $27 and someone else pushes it to $28. Now I'm bothered, as I don't want to pay as much for Snell as others paid for Scherzer & Darvish. However, I feel I need Snell. His 2018 season was studly, he won't face the DH, he has wins upside playing for a contender, his ballpark should help him lower his ERA & WHIP, he's relatively young, having had a reasonably light workload, AND he has elite strikeout potential. I'm not happy but it's +$1 for me...and I get him for $29.

The next two throws are Seager ($45) and Castellanos ($31...right at the RL price), which are relatively reasonable for first round buys in this league. Then Dreamteam throws Peralta. He knows umjewman likes him (a lot) and makes that toss this early specifically to mess with him. What he doesn't know is that Peralta's been high on my list (as a $6 spec pick initially...but I know he'll go higher due to his spring performance AND winning a rotation role). Once again, the bidding slows down near the low-end of my target price, but when I say $9, someone else pushes it to $10...and I ultimately have to go to $13 to win the bid ($17 on RL). I'm already $6 over on my targets which I feel will cost me on my end-game targets. We finished the first round extremely fast and the average amount spent was $35 (same as last year but lower than 2019's $43 average).

Show me the money? Rounds two and three:
    Round two begins with Arenado ($35) and I regret my pre-auction trade of Reynolds $12 for Suarez $39, as the prices are not as high as I feared when I made the deal. Then Jansen goes for only $18 (right at his RL price), yet I hesitate and don't go the extra buck. And now comes Mr. Fried (whom I should have extended to $8 last season...but why cry over spilled milk). RL has him at $22 and he's my targeted stable pitcher so I'm making sure to top the bid each time the clock winds down to 5 seconds. We're using Webex to connect via video and Dreamteam is telling everyone Fried's going to wind up on my team again, so I can't be sure if others really want him or they're enforcing. No matter which it is, it takes me $26 to secure him for my team...but I like him a little better than Hendricks, who winds up going for $27. I've purchased three of the first thirteen throws, got my two front-end starters and have $63 remaining for my final eight players.

There are some other reasonable hitting buys (Baez $27, S. Marte $31, Yadi $5, Rizzo $31) but Hand goes for $23 (RL $18), so the best available closers are gone. So I toss Bass and WAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY overpay, going to $15 (RL $7). Seeing as how I have Floro at $1, I'm going to try to get Curtiss late, as Yimi was already kept and I need to grab insurance policies for that buy. Later, Soria winds up going for $12 and Bradley for $14 (Crichton and Neris were kept)...so there was no cheap path to named closers. Dreamteam buys Carrasco for $16, a risk I'd gladly take if I had his stacked roster, but a gamble I can't afford with mine. There's a nice run of hitters, and I move early buying Cron for $25 (RL $30), who's followed by Bryant $26, Pham $31, Blackmon $20, K.Marte $25, Cutch $16, Segura $18 and Bell $29. Hitting inflation is still rising as many of these purchases are at better prices than some keepers.

I've spent $108 on five of the first 26 players...leaving me $23 for three pitchers, a UT player and two catchers. Unless I get lucky, there's going to be too much money available late and I'm not going to be able to afford the catchers or UT players I'm targeting. Round two and three average prices were ~$22 each, which is considerably lower than 2020 ($32 & $27) and 2019 ($28 & $23).

Can I scramble and still stick to the plan? The middle rounds and end game:
    After the Cron purchase, none of my targets come out for another 30 picks, so I do some mild bidding/enforcing at prices way below value. Interesting hitters were Moustakas $28, Didi $22, Cain $15, Winker $20, Brian Anderson $19, Peralta $19, Votto $18, and Bradley $14. A turning point took place when umjewman bid $19 on O'Neill, but someone else swooped in to grab him at $20 (right at the RL price). Interesting pitchers were Corbin $18, Price $10, C-Mart $10 and Madbum $6. Then Taijuan Walker is thrown and a few people are nibbling, but it slows quickly. I take the bid up to $6...then $8...as umjewman and I start going back and forth. As the price continues rising slowly, he bids Walker up to $11 with dollars he couldn't have spent had he wound up with O'Neill. So I wound up having to pay $12 instead of the $6 it would have cost me if he weren't bidding. With only $11 for five players, my max bid is now $7.

Right after Walker, the commish buys Cooper for $12 (and his sub-bidder later revealed he could have gone as high as $19 for him), so I had no shot to get him for my second UT slot. He also buys Alzolay for $7, further cementing that I should have exempted him. umjewman picks up Polanco for $15 (RL $16). Some players of interest get snatched up (L.Sims $5, Caleb Smith $5, Dom Nunez $3, Lewis Brinson $6). I try to sneak Logan Webb for a buck, but someone bids $2 so I spend $3 to get him...and immediately after that purchase, E. Diaz goes for $6, then Narvaez goes for $5 when my max bid was only $5. I'm kind of screwed on catchers, so I pivot and go all the way to $5 to land Lindblom, as some insurance against Peralta's volatility. I'm now at $1 max, which prevents me from bidding on Barnes $2, Vogt $1, Owings $2, D. Ponce De Leon $3, Colton Welker $3 or Lucchesi $1. I close out by grabbing Curtiss $1 at SUT, along with M. Pina $1 and William Contreras $1 as catchers.

In the reserve round I picked up pitchers: Arrieta, Wick, Voth & Cahill; hitters: Y.Daza, Aquino, Goodwin & Jose Martinez; and minor leaguers: M.Allan, Brett Baty, Mitch White & Kevin Cron (perhaps he'll improves the contact enough in Japan to let that power play at the MLB level). Focusing my early reserve picks on augmenting my major league team cost me any chance at my highly rated minor league targets. And spending more than my budgeted amounts really cost me my end-game UT and C targets, as I'd prefer to have one more solid hitter. Hopefully when Calhoun returns, my offense will still be decent enough to make noise. And, I've built a pitching staff that (aside from the closer situation) I actually like...even though I've spent a whopping $109 (39% of the budget) on them.

Here's my team (drafted players bolded):

C: William Contreras $1
    C: Manny Pina $1

1B: Pete Alonso $18
    3B: Eugenio Suarez $39
    CI: Jesus Aguilar $8
    2B: Chris Taylor $6
    SS: Mauricio Dubon $7
    MI: Miguel Rojas $1
    OF: Ronald Acuna $22
    OF: Victor Robles $18
    OF: Kole Calhoun $18
    OF: Raimel Tapia $5
    OF: Sam Hilliard $2
    UT: C.J. Cron $25

P: Blake Snell $29
    P: Max Fried $26
    P: Taijuan Walker $12
    P: Freddie Peralta $13

P: Josh Lindblom $5
    P: Logan Webb $3
    P: Anthony Bass $15
    P: John Curtiss $1

P: Dylan Floro $1
    P:
    Drew Pomeranz $1
    P:
    Daniel Hudson $3
    Reserve Hitters: Yonathan Daza, Aristides Aquino, Brian Goodwin, Jose Martinez
    Reserve Pitchers: Jake Arrieta, Rowan Wick, Austin Voth, Trevor Cahill

Minor Leaguers: Ronny Mauricio, Hunter Bishop, Hunter Greene, Matt Allan, Brett Baty, Mitch White, Kevin Cron

I think these anatomy auction recaps are getting longer each year, so if you've made it this far, thank you once again for indulging me and coming along on this journey. Feel free to let me know what you think of the team, and how/where you might have done things differently.

PS: Captain Hook has joined our league as a replacement for the previous, previous commish...and did a great job building a dreadful roster into one that can compete. Kudos to him on a great job.

PPS: The dump deals have already started, and caused the usual grumblings. Here's hoping neither of the two teams that acquired players meets with any success.
    Last edited by ThatRogue; 04-02-2021, 02:05 PM.
    2021 Auction Anatomy
    2021 Keeper Decisions
    2020 Auction Anatomy
    2020 Pre-Auction
    2015 Auction Anatomy
    2014 Auction Anatomy
    2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
    RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Great stuff! Thanks for taking the time to put this together!

Really appreciate your thoughts on planning out the auction. Really like how you executed against your plan. Logan Webb could be the steal of your auction.

Do differently? Very little. I will admit if I'm thinking of $7-10 on catchers and $28-31 on CJ Cron at UT, and Realmuto is out there at $25, I go for at least one bid, and probably two on Realmuto. I like Cron in Colorado for sure, but if I can get Realmuto at $28, another C for a buck, and then allocate the leftover $6-9 to my first UT slot that I'd be very happy with that switch. But I like Realmuto a lot. But that's a preference, and certainly not a criticism.

Lindblom is the only one I'd definitely do differently. That killed some really good options for you in the endgame, and there's no real keeper upside in Lindblom.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

How much did Bard (CO closer) go for?

also, Dream Team can't be too happy seeing Castillo out there with Suarez at SS. That was brutal and not a good sign for a Ground ball pitcher...
      Last edited by southcoast; 04-02-2021, 04:10 PM.

Comment

I have nothing to add, other than to say that I enjoyed reading it.

Comment

Originally posted by southcoast View Post
          How much did Bard (CO closer) go for?

also, Dream Team can't be too happy seeing Castillo out there with Suarez at SS. That was brutal and not a good sign for a Ground ball pitcher...
          Bard was kept at $14.

Comment

Originally posted by mike9289 View Post
            I have nothing to add, other than to say that I enjoyed reading it.
            Thanks Mike...I'm glad you enjoyed it. It was fun to write and relive/re-evaluate the experience.

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
            Great stuff! Thanks for taking the time to put this together!

Really appreciate your thoughts on planning out the auction. Really like how you executed against your plan. Logan Webb could be the steal of your auction.

Do differently? Very little. I will admit if I'm thinking of $7-10 on catchers and $28-31 on CJ Cron at UT, and Realmuto is out there at $25, I go for at least one bid, and probably two on Realmuto. I like Cron in Colorado for sure, but if I can get Realmuto at $28, another C for a buck, and then allocate the leftover $6-9 to my first UT slot that I'd be very happy with that switch. But I like Realmuto a lot. But that's a preference, and certainly not a criticism.

Lindblom is the only one I'd definitely do differently. That killed some really good options for you in the endgame, and there's no real keeper upside in Lindblom.
            Thanks Chance...how could I refuse the ask.

I immediately regretted letting Lindblom put me into dollar days even though Peralta is a roller coaster (on Thursday, it hit me that he might have been more fun to watch/follow when he isn't pitching for your roto team). If they put him back in the pen, I assume Lindblom moves back into the rotation...but sitting through the endgame was painful.

That's an interesting take on Realmuto. He came out so early I didn't even consider switching the plan. I doubt $26 would have closed the deal, as the buyer quickly dumped Realmuto in a deal for Will Smith (C), and probably would have bid even higher to ensure he got him. But to your point, a $25 catcher and $1 outfielder will typically outperform a $25 outfielder and a $1 catcher. I should have considered that in my analysis but got blinded by what Cron can do in Coors.
            2021 Auction Anatomy
            2021 Keeper Decisions
            2020 Auction Anatomy
            2020 Pre-Auction
            2015 Auction Anatomy
            2014 Auction Anatomy
            2011 Auction Anatomy

Comment

(Today has been very disappointing. Bass blew the save in spectacular fashion and Snell was pulled after 4.2 innings/86 pitches despite 8 Ks & 0 ER, which means no W. Perhaps I should find a hitting only roto league.)
              2021 Auction Anatomy
              2021 Keeper Decisions
              2020 Auction Anatomy
              2020 Pre-Auction
              2015 Auction Anatomy
              2014 Auction Anatomy
              2011 Auction Anatomy

Comment

It's still a really nice looking pitching staff given how little you had in keeper talent and how the auction went. I think if I had down 31 for Cron, though, I'd have been awfully, awfully tempted to go 36 for Conforto. But I think how everything worked out, it was probably better not to throw away your plan in the first round.

Comment

Well done, TR, and thanks for sharing. Agree about Judge Jude’s annual post. You did him proud in my opinion!

As for your auction, I think you did fine. Your targets are solid. Cron is a smart play. Fried and Peralta worth paying up for. Not as sold on Snell and Bass. Would have preferred someone like Musgrove to Snell and someone like McGee to Bass. Beyond that, probably would have considered higher upside minors guys OR those likely to be called up quickly (Perdomo, Wilson,’etc).

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                    It's still a really nice looking pitching staff given how little you had in keeper talent and how the auction went. I think if I had down 31 for Cron, though, I'd have been awfully, awfully tempted to go 36 for Conforto. But I think how everything worked out, it was probably better not to throw away your plan in the first round.
                    I appreciate that JC. It took spending far more on pitching than I've ever done before.

Conforto would have been a really nice fit for my offense (and in previous seasons, I might have been more tempted by those bright shiny hitting prices), but I knew I needed to do a lot of work to build a competitive pitching staff. As things turned out, getting Conforto at $37 or $39 (I doubt umjewman would have gone to $40) would have cost me either Peralta or Walker...but if I don't buy Peralta I don't buy Lindblom. Thus I might have had a shot at either Diaz or Narvaez at catcher...or definitely landed Owings for my second UT slot. That could have been an interesting alternate to the lineup and rotation.

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
                    Well done, TR, and thanks for sharing. Agree about Judge Jude’s annual post. You did him proud in my opinion!

As for your auction, I think you did fine. Your targets are solid. Cron is a smart play. Fried and Peralta worth paying up for. Not as sold on Snell and Bass. Would have preferred someone like Musgrove to Snell and someone like McGee to Bass. Beyond that, probably would have considered higher upside minors guys OR those likely to be called up quickly (Perdomo, Wilson,’etc).
                    Thanks Sharky. It was fun to recap and write. And the Judge is back in chambers!

I agree with you...I would have preferred having a much less expensive Musgrove and McGee than needing to spend big on Snell and Bass. However, both were kept (back in February umjewman pulled off a trade of A.Dickerson $9 & Slater $7 to get a final year Musgrove $12...and Captain Hook kept McGee at $3).

Taking high upside minors leaguers probably would have provided more upside potential. Unfortunately, many of the more interesting ones weren't available. India was drafted for $10, Meyer for $7, Wilson for $5 and Perdomo went in the second reserve round. I used my first reserve pick on Arrieta and am hoping to catch lightning in a bottle from one of Daza, Aquino or Goodwin falling into PT and being productive.

The more highly rated minor leaguers used to be drafted for a buck or three in the end game or purchased in the mid to latter part of the reserve rounds (so they could be kept at either $5 or $2). A few years ago, in an unsuccessful effort to curb dumping, we changed the rules such that players with no major league experience could only be slotted in one of two SUT positions AND were not eligible to be exempted as minor leaguers (if kept, the contract advances a year, take up a SUT slot on your roster & count against your $280 budget, even if they maintained MLB rookie status). If you don't grab them early (especially near the turns), they're gone before you have another chance.
                    Last edited by ThatRogue; 04-04-2021, 03:18 AM.
                    2021 Auction Anatomy
                    2021 Keeper Decisions
                    2020 Auction Anatomy
                    2020 Pre-Auction
                    2015 Auction Anatomy
                    2014 Auction Anatomy
                    2011 Auction Anatomy

Comment

As usual I enjoyed reading your post.

I hope you will update progress, changes, trades, FAAB, etc as the season goes on.

Good luck.

Comment

Ask and you shall receive...

Trades going into week one:
                        - Dream Team acquires Travis d'Arnaud $10, Will Smith (P) $7 - final, Kyle Schwarber $23 - final, and Brad Hand $23 from Dreaded Parms (Phineas to Ferb/Mr.X) in exchange for Thomas Szapucki $2, J.J. Bleday $8, Will Smith (C) $17, and Luis Matos $2.

- Second Place from 2020 acquires Hector Neris $3 - final, J.T. Realmuto $25, Dansby Swanson $23, and Nolan Arenado $35 from
                        Dreaded Parms (Phineas to Ferb/Mr.X) in exchange for Trevor Williams $7, Alec Bohm $2, Dominic Smith $1, and Peyton Burdick $7.

FAAB Wins going into week two:
                        - My team acquires Tyler Naquin $6 and drops Mitch White $2
                        - Phineas to Ferb/Mr.X acquires Taylor Widener $4 and drops Thomas Szapucki $2
                        - Phineas to Ferb/Mr.X acquires Steven Brault $2 and drops Jaylin Davis $5
                        - Captain Hook acquires Billy McKinney $2 and drops Mallex Smith $5 (corrected accidental drop of
                        Drew Waters $7)
                        - The Commish acquires Alex Young $1 and drops Michael Baez $8
                        - The Commish acquires Carlson Fullmer $1 and drops David Robertson $7

Last edited by ThatRogue; 04-05-2021, 05:46 AM.
                        2021 Auction Anatomy
                        2021 Keeper Decisions
                        2020 Auction Anatomy
                        2020 Pre-Auction
                        2015 Auction Anatomy
                        2014 Auction Anatomy
                        2011 Auction Anatomy

Comment

return for Parms would be considered a little light in my league.

condolences on Week 1 dumping, too. we don't need a rule that there can't be such trades before May 15, because there never have been any. occasionally you might see a team surprise and reverse gears, I would think - or at least slow their roll.
                          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

The week 1 dumping started maybe 10 years ago. Once it starts, it’s awfully hard to put the genie back in the bottle. We passed a progressive salary cap so a lot of times, you can’t start all your spoils until a few weeks in but it hasn’t changed much.

Comment

Wow...those dump deals aren't very good given the value of getting high quality players in week 1. Trade one, especially....yuck.
                              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                              X