Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RJEL - Putsy

man the CBS auction room sucked today.

Anyway, I had a very solid keeper list, maybe 4th best or so out of 18. But I had all five OF slots filled. Fortunately we have two UT slots so I was able to buy more anyway!

I usually screw up and don't spend on stars and end up buying way too many mediocrities, so I forced myself to pay for a star this time. And I especially wanted someone with a high OBP to counteract Mondesi. I also have something like 120 SB from my keepers, so I really didn't care about getting them elsewhere. Medium quality pitchers always cost more than I expect (Marco Gonzales $14, Jordan Montgomery $15, Cristian Javier $15, Kevin Gausman $14, etc) and I ended up with mostly questionable guys, but since we have biweekly roster changes having a big pile of pitchers means that at least you can always have those questionable closers active.

C: Narvaez $1 (replacing with Kirk from minors)
    1B: Guerrero $4 (K)
    2B: Marte $25
    3B: Bote $4
    SS: Tatis $3 (K)
    MI: Mondesi $11 (K)
    CI: YDiaz $2
    OF: Kepler $14, Mancini $8, Pham $15, Robles $6, Santander $3 (all K)
    UT: Trout $61, FReyes $23
    Res: Slater $1

SP: Flaherty $11 (K), Montas $2 (K), Paxton $16, Boyd $4, Arihara $1, MKeller $3, Rodon $3, Neidert $1
    RP: Diaz $22, Holland $8, Pomeranz $5, Wittgren $3, Ian Kennedy $3
    (four of those are on reserve)

I know I'm weak at 3B/CI, but I spent so much/have so many hitting keepers I don't think it should matter. Hopefully I can trade one of my speed guys for pitching - there was so little speed that Whit Merrifield went for $39.
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

I was surprised at the Bote and Diaz buys, but otherwise a strong team. I think you'll compete (unlike me). I have Robles in my main league - boy am I hoping for a bounce-back.
    "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

After I failed to trade Willi Castro $4 before the draft, I didn't think he'd go for $12 and I was hoping to get him back. But I spent a lot of time mid-auction reminding myself that I needed to spend the remaining money on pitching. I like Bote more than I probably should, and I could see the Cubs trying a teardown and trading Bryant or Rizzo midseason since they're both on expiring contracts, and I can also hope Bobby Bradley gets called up. But yeah those were pretty weak and this is a lot of post-facto justification for something that didn't go quite right.
      In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

I was happy to get Castro at $12. Not a bargain, but at price (at that point). Problem with Bote aside from being unproven is the crowded Cubs IF - especially with Hoerner knocking at the door (and Sogard and Duffy there to soak up PA). Maybe they make a trade, but I'd be surprised.
        "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

I wonder if the $23 Franmil money would have been better redirected to beef the SP.

You're about 70% invested on hitting even with some great value hitting keepers.

1. What SP might you have won with the Franmil money?

2. What happened with the CBS auction room?

Comment

Wheeler, Urias, Morton, and Musgrove were all in that range. Certainly would have been better to get one of those given where I ended up.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
              man the CBS auction room sucked today.

Anyway, I had a very solid keeper list, maybe 4th best or so out of 18. But I had all five OF slots filled. Fortunately we have two UT slots so I was able to buy more anyway!

I usually screw up and don't spend on stars and end up buying way too many mediocrities, so I forced myself to pay for a star this time. And I especially wanted someone with a high OBP to counteract Mondesi. I also have something like 120 SB from my keepers, so I really didn't care about getting them elsewhere. Medium quality pitchers always cost more than I expect (Marco Gonzales $14, Jordan Montgomery $15, Cristian Javier $15, Kevin Gausman $14, etc) and I ended up with mostly questionable guys, but since we have biweekly roster changes having a big pile of pitchers means that at least you can always have those questionable closers active.

C: Narvaez $1 (replacing with Kirk from minors)
              1B: Guerrero $4 (K)
              2B: Marte $25
              3B: Bote $4
              SS: Tatis $3 (K)
              MI: Mondesi $11 (K)
              CI: YDiaz $2
              OF: Kepler $14, Mancini $8, Pham $15, Robles $6, Santander $3 (all K)
              UT: Trout $61, FReyes $23
              Res: Slater $1

SP: Flaherty $11 (K), Montas $2 (K), Paxton $16, Boyd $4, Arihara $1, MKeller $3, Rodon $3, Neidert $1
              RP: Diaz $22, Holland $8, Pomeranz $5, Wittgren $3, Ian Kennedy $3
              (four of those are on reserve)

I know I'm weak at 3B/CI, but I spent so much/have so many hitting keepers I don't think it should matter. Hopefully I can trade one of my speed guys for pitching - there was so little speed that Whit Merrifield went for $39.
              I try to be mindful of this as well, it's hard with the high inflation to keep bidding, but the alternative doesn't seem great. Really a struggle to find good value in this league from my experience. As a result I usually end up with a bunch of holes, but I guess that is why we have rookies to trade.
              ---------------------------------------------
              Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                I try to be mindful of this as well, it's hard with the high inflation to keep bidding, but the alternative doesn't seem great. Really a struggle to find good value in this league from my experience. As a result I usually end up with a bunch of holes, but I guess that is why we have rookies to trade.
                this is the thing tho - good value can't always be the goal - to me it's figuring out the best way to spend your limited dollars based on what's available. Third base was a good example - there were a few (maybe four or five) really good options there ... I told myself I had to get one of those. I ended up getting Josh Donaldson for $30 - I don't think that's good value (see his #games played the past few years) - but there was no good value to be found amongst any of those 5 guys. But if I didn't go there I was looking at dropping down a tier or two ... and then redeploying the dollars to overspend on someone else. So with no ability to find good value, maybe it's better just to get production.
                It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                  this is the thing tho - good value can't always be the goal - to me it's figuring out the best way to spend your limited dollars based on what's available. Third base was a good example - there were a few (maybe four or five) really good options there ... I told myself I had to get one of those. I ended up getting Josh Donaldson for $30 - I don't think that's good value (see his #games played the past few years) - but there was no good value to be found amongst any of those 5 guys. But if I didn't go there I was looking at dropping down a tier or two ... and then redeploying the dollars to overspend on someone else. So with no ability to find good value, maybe it's better just to get production.
                  I agree, I think that is a different way of saying what mjl and I were saying. You need to force yourself to spend and get quality players because if you don't end up with any a bunch of dreck. Speaking of Donaldson, I really hoped to nab him for 20ish bucks based on ADP. Votto, I hoped for less than 15. They went for wayyyyyyyyy more than that.
                  Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                  The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by harmon View Post
                    2. What happened with the CBS auction room?
                    It would just freeze. Completely freeze. For everybody. Folks couldn't bid, then it'd count down to 0, and then just sit there. Then we'd have to wait for things to unthaw, suspend, wait to be sure everybody was back, roll back (sometimes two or three players), and restart. I think it happened four or five times? I've been using CBS for more than 15 years, and seen a lot of weird things in the draft room (usually related to connection problems for one or more GMs, or autopilot), but that was a first for me.

Comment

I agree, I think that is a different way of saying what mjl and I were saying. You need to force yourself to spend and get quality players because if you don't end up with any a bunch of dreck. Speaking of Donaldson, I really hoped to nab him for 20ish bucks based on ADP. Votto, I hoped for less than 15. They went for wayyyyyyyyy more than that.
                      I got Votto too, for $20, which I thought was decent ... altho I'm seeing too many guys on my team well into their 30's (age, not dollars!) ...
                      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

fwiw, last year I spent most of my money on Verlander, Schwarber, DeJong, Votto, and Paxton. I spent $140 on $11 worth of value. I'm not saying that's at all representative, and actually I don't even know what my point is now, I just wanted to complain after thinking about it again.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                          I didn't find the 3B dropoff excessive. Pre-auction inflated values (from Rotolab, tuned to steep Stars and Scrubs which is what RJEL is; what they went for in parentheses): Ramirez - $51 ($52), Machado - $36 ($43), Rendon - $35 ($40), Donaldson - $27 ($30), Arenado - $21 ($32), Turner - $18 ($23), Escobar - $17 ($13), Segura - $14 ($12). Arenado is the outlier in terms of predicted vs. spent, and that's attributable to the idea that he's gonna regress not to 2020, but rather to 2019 or before, numbers). You could get one at nearly any tier you needed. And 13 of 18 GMs going in already had a 3B (though 10 needed a CI - all that not accounting for position flexibility). Problem is that by the time you get down to Escobar or Segura (or my Castro), inflation has pretty much gone away, so you're not really getting any _savings_ in the true sense, but you are getting value for your auction $. Take those inflated values and knock them down by 33% or so for those two, and their purchase price is about at true value. I didn't see any particular position that had steep dropoffs - though the pickings overall at 2B were pretty thin going in.

Comment

My projections had Votto around that range, but after being burned on him last year and him having COVID, I was not about to mess with that.

Comment

Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post
                              It would just freeze. Completely freeze. For everybody. Folks couldn't bid, then it'd count down to 0, and then just sit there. Then we'd have to wait for things to unthaw, suspend, wait to be sure everybody was back, roll back (sometimes two or three players), and restart. I think it happened four or five times? I've been using CBS for more than 15 years, and seen a lot of weird things in the draft room (usually related to connection problems for one or more GMs, or autopilot), but that was a first for me.
                              yeah, and the first couple of times it happened I seemed to be okay so I didn't leave ... and then the third time I realized based on the chat that a couple of players had been auctioned off & I had no idea (fortunately not ones I was interested in) - after that I'd shut the window down & immediately restart it

Comment

Working...
                              X