No announcement yet.

Woke up to a kick in the groin.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's rough about Adell, but why did Mrs. Gregg kick you there? I bet you deserved it.

Comment

Tough break, Gregg. Good luck!

Comment

How do you deal with rookie relief pitchers who could be up all season and not hit 50 innings?

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
          How do you deal with rookie relief pitchers who could be up all season and not hit 50 innings?
          You realize you are talking about relief pitchers, and an edge case scenario where they are a) up long enough to get service time that would not make them a rookie by mlb standards and b) get less than 50 innings and c) also valuable in a fantasy context.

The combination of those 3 happens, but it's rare enough that you should stop caring and realize it doesn't give any team in your league a significant advantage such that it's worth spending time on. The time saved *not* caring about that rare scenario is worth more.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
            You realize you are talking about relief pitchers, and an edge case scenario where they are a) up long enough to get service time that would not make them a rookie by mlb standards and b) get less than 50 innings and c) also valuable in a fantasy context.

The combination of those 3 happens, but it's rare enough that you should stop caring and realize it doesn't give any team in your league a significant advantage such that it's worth spending time on. The time saved *not* caring about that rare scenario is worth more.
            I used to occasionally draft a RP with a farm pick with the intention that I could get an extra year to promote them. If you were lucky enough to land a Josh Hader type and they stay under 50 IP that first year, that's amazing. Many leagues are only extending Hader this offseason, if they managed to hold him down on the farm through his 47.2 IP in 2017. But I failed so spectacularly drafting high end RP as prospects that I've abandoned the tactic. Also all of my leagues switched away from the saves format.

Last year's elite RP prospect was Karinchak. I wouldn't mind having him ready to promote from the farm with the next 3 years until extension time. If I were in leagues that used saves, I'd flirt with the tactic more often.
            Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
              I used to occasionally draft a RP with a farm pick with the intention that I could get an extra year to promote them. If you were lucky enough to land a Josh Hader type and they stay under 50 IP that first year, that's amazing. Many leagues are only extending Hader this offseason, if they managed to hold him down on the farm through his 47.2 IP in 2017. But I failed so spectacularly drafting high end RP as prospects that I've abandoned the tactic. Also all of my leagues switched away from the saves format.

Last year's elite RP prospect was Karinchak. I wouldn't mind having him ready to promote from the farm with the next 3 years until extension time. If I were in leagues that used saves, I'd flirt with the tactic more often.
              Sure, there are ways to utilize this rule, ways that every team has access to. The point is that it's very niche and as a league you shouldn't be dogmatic about it IMO because it's not worth the effort relative to the change in results.

Comment

Sure, there are ways to utilize this rule, ways that every team has access to. The point is that it's very niche and as a league you shouldn't be dogmatic about it IMO because it's not worth the effort relative to the change in results.
                Oh, for sure. If we're talking about "dealing with RP rookies" in terms of being written into the constitution, I agree with you that they're such a niche asset, they don't require any carve-out in the rules.

The strategy I detailed to attempt to get the extra year of ownership applies to all prospects, it's simply easier to keep a RP under the IP limit, and therefore easier to game the system for the extra year. But again, you need a ton of luck to hit on the right RP prospect that they become regular closers, of which only 20 or so teams still use a dedicated one. Most closers' roles these days are annointed to veterans, mostly failed starters. The attrition rate on this asset must be over 95%.
                Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

I know we're not in the Sports Bar, but how come nobody has asked Gregg what he did to Mrs. Gregg that caused her to wake him up with a kick to the groin? For shame, people. For shame.

Comment

Originally posted by umjewman View Post
                    I know we're not in the Sports Bar, but how come nobody has asked Gregg what he did to Mrs. Gregg that caused her to wake him up with a kick to the groin? For shame, people. For shame.
                    I did that already last page.

That's rough about Adell, but why did Mrs. Gregg kick you there? I bet you deserved it.

Comment

I did that already last page.
                      Okay, I missed it. My faith in humanity is restored!

Comment

I was naughty in her dream.

Comment

I asked this because it was already brought up by one of the league members.

We have two Commissioners. One of them is a lawyer. They play by the strict rules as some members like to exploit loop holes and the others like to complain. One of two like to do both.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                            I asked this because it was already brought up by one of the league members.

We have two Commissioners. One of them is a lawyer. They play by the strict rules as some members like to exploit loop holes and the others like to complain. One of two like to do both.
                            Right, I suspected this was the case.

I have no issue going strictly by the rules. I balk at adding rules that serve no purpose and just make the job of the commish harder though.

Comment

Working...
                            X