AL Only Auction Feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AL Only Auction Feedback

12 team AL auction (MSGL). 5x5, only non-traditional category is HLD+SV. 1 catcher, 2 UT. 5 bench spots bought at auction. Daily roster moves.

I'm entering my contention window with a farm system / keepers that I have acquired over the last couple years finally paying off. All I had to do was not royally screw up the auction to at least have a chance to compete. We keep up to 10 so there is always crazy inflation. Examples: Trout 62, Springer 44, Bogarts 49

My keepers are in bold:
    Hitters
    C Salvador Perez 5
    1B Marwin Gonzalez 16
    2B Enrique Hernandez 12
    3B Alex Bregman 20
    SS Gleyber Torres 20

MI Jonathan Schoop 25
    CI Andres Gimenez 33
    OF Randy Arozarena 4
    OF Mark Canha 1
    OF Austin Hays 5
    OF Luis Robert 5
    OF Kyle Tucker 5

DH Jordan Luplow 1
    DH Nomar Mazara 8
    Bench
    1B Ji-Man Choi 9
    DH Harold Ramirez 1

Pitchers
    P Dylan Bundy 22
    P Jose Cisnero 1
    P Emmanuel Clase 7
    P Lucas Giolito 12
    P Marco Gonzales 9

P Jonathan Loaisiga 7
    P Phil Maton 3
    P Enoli Paredes 3
    P Jordan Romano 10
    Bench
    P Matthew Boyd 10
    P Garrett Richards 7
    P Carlos Rodon 4

Minors
    1B Andrew Vaughn FARM
    3B Josh Jung FARM
    SS Wander Franco FARM
    SS Brayan Rocchio FARM
    OF Joshua Lowe FARM
    OF Alexfri Planez FARM
    OF Leody Taveras FARM

I wanted some positional flexibility as I have Vaughn and Taveras on the way up once the season starts. I went a bit crazy on Gimenez, I really wanted Lowe but he went for 38, not sure which I would rather have now. My projections have me neck and neck with a couple other Junkies: Frae and Big Tymers.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
    Last edited by wombat104; 03-24-2021, 07:10 AM.

I see Marwin $16, Choi $9, and Mazara $8 as bench bats that should have been pooled into a singular asset. Example that comes to mind, J. Walsh went for $24, would be much better than Marwin + Choi. Schoop $25 and Giminez $33 were slight overspends, but both players I liked and prices were crazy, so I couldn't complain with those 2.

You did much better spending on pitching. I prefer other SP2 targets to Bundy $22 (Civale $22, Kluber $23, Taillon $21, Paxton $20), but your backend SP came at great prices. Boyd $10, Richard's $7, Rodon $4. Those all seem good to me, not necessarily guys I targeted, but cheap for the upside they offer.

You also have a great farm system and some major league keepers that could fetch a fortune. If you're willing to deal a couple of bigger pieces as the prospects graduate, you have a great shot at the title.
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Saves are light but Romero might be the fill in for Yates. Auction was after the Yates' news? Your hitting keepers were fantastic. I'm betting you will be trading a hitter for an ace during the season.

Comment

Originally posted by mike9289 View Post
        Saves are light but Romero might be the fill in for Yates. Auction was after the Yates' news? Your hitting keepers were fantastic. I'm betting you will be trading a hitter for an ace during the season.
        It's SV+HLD format, so closer values are suppressed. Chapman went $18, for context.
        Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by mike9289 View Post
          Auction was before the Yates injury, as Teenwolf said, it is Save+Holds so Romano still had quite a bit of value before the injury.

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
            I see Marwin $16, Choi $9, and Mazara $8 as bench bats that should have been pooled into a singular asset. Example that comes to mind, J. Walsh went for $24, would be much better than Marwin + Choi. Schoop $25 and Giminez $33 were slight overspends, but both players I liked and prices were crazy, so I couldn't complain with those 2.

You did much better spending on pitching. I prefer other SP2 targets to Bundy $22 (Civale $22, Kluber $23, Taillon $21, Paxton $20), but your backend SP came at great prices. Boyd $10, Richard's $7, Rodon $4. Those all seem good to me, not necessarily guys I targeted, but cheap for the upside they offer.

You also have a great farm system and some major league keepers that could fetch a fortune. If you're willing to deal a couple of bigger pieces as the prospects graduate, you have a great shot at the title.
            Great point about combining those hitters, I was so focused on not clogging up 1B with a more valuable asset so I'd have room for Vaughn artificially limited me.

I was happy with my end gamers, especially when other guys went for more (Ray 12, Canning 14, Minor 12 and Sheffield for 9)

Comment

Your keeper list was so vastly superior that you were going to be the odd-on favorite regardless of the auction, but I agree with the views that you would have been better off consolidating your $ into a fewer # of prime assets vs. spreading it around. First, because you have guys on the FARM that will eventually come up so didn't need to fill all your starting slots and second because you will likely trade assets to strengthen your contention this year.

I still think you're in 1st, but as someone chasing you its not as intimidating as I thought it might be on Sunday afternoon

Comment

Originally posted by Big Tymer View Post
                Your keeper list was so vastly superior that you were going to be the odd-on favorite regardless of the auction, but I agree with the views that you would have been better off consolidating your $ into a fewer # of prime assets vs. spreading it around. First, because you have guys on the FARM that will eventually come up so didn't need to fill all your starting slots and second because you will likely trade assets to strengthen your contention this year.

I still think you're in 1st, but as someone chasing you its not as intimidating as I thought it might be on Sunday afternoon
                Thanks for the thoughts, I was very focused on having positional flexibility to allow me options when I activate my minor league guys. In retrospect I think I had tunnel vision on that concept and didn't consider going more all in on fewer players. Hopefully it doesn't cost me.

I like a lot of your buys, especially Dobnak, Wittgren, Robles, Kolarek, and Ramos. I have you and I basically neck and neck with Frae right behind us.

Comment

Originally posted by wombat104 View Post
                  I like a lot of your buys, especially Dobnak, Wittgren, Robles, Kolarek, and Ramos. I have you and I basically neck and neck with Frae right behind us.
                  Same. I have you ahead and then Keith in 3rd but a bit of a gap. End game (especially pitching) went better than I thought for me so thanks for those callouts as I agree. Dobnak is someone who I expect to log > 100 innings and they should be good innings as well. I drafted Wittgren with the idea that I don't think Karinchak is locked into the role and manager comments since our draft seem to be in line with that so we'll see. SP depth will be key for us all as it will be a crazy season I suspect.

Comment

Working...
                  X