CBS Salary Cap Drafts - Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBS Salary Cap Drafts - Questions

Has anyone used the CBS Salary Cap (Auction) draft room before? Our league normally holds live drafts, and last year we did it virtually...but this is the first time we've ever used an automated draft tool.

I've done a couple of Mock Drafts using the tool and have two questions:

1) Does the commissioner have the ability to pause the draft process? We'd like to provide a 5 minute break each hour and allow each owner the ability to call one timeout break. Considering the pace of this draft is much faster than our in-person process, going straight through without breaks might prove stressful.

2) If a problem arises, is there any ability to roll back a purchase. Lets say one of our owners loses connectivity during the draft and misses out on buying a player they wanted. Is there an ability to roll back the player, and restart the bidding on him at the last price?

Is there anything else we should consider? For our normal auction, bidding goes around the table in order, and when someone drops out of the bidding, they can't get back in. Thus, this will be an adjustment, to say the least.

Thanks for any advice you can provide!
    2021 Auction Anatomy
    2021 Keeper Decisions
    2020 Auction Anatomy
    2020 Pre-Auction
    2015 Auction Anatomy
    2014 Auction Anatomy
    2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
    RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

We're going to be doing the same thing. I've done it for other leagues - Frae runs it for 12to every year.

#1 is definitely something the commish can do. Pretty sure that they can also do #2.

The biggest thing to watch out for is the +1 button. If the bidding goes 2,3,4,54 and you hit the +1 button, then you just bid 55.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
      We're going to be doing the same thing. I've done it for other leagues - Frae runs it for 12to every year.

#1 is definitely something the commish can do. Pretty sure that they can also do #2.

The biggest thing to watch out for is the +1 button. If the bidding goes 2,3,4,54 and you hit the +1 button, then you just bid 55.
      I agree on the +1. When working on my own draft site that was the first thing I fixed.

Comment

Great advice guys...I'll warn the league about the +1 button!

Is there a tutorial, or any kind of instructions? The Mock drafts don't let you participate with commish functions...just as a regular drafter.
        2021 Auction Anatomy
        2021 Keeper Decisions
        2020 Auction Anatomy
        2020 Pre-Auction
        2015 Auction Anatomy
        2014 Auction Anatomy
        2011 Auction Anatomy

Comment

Originally posted by ThatRogue View Post
          Great advice guys...I'll warn the league about the +1 button!

Is there a tutorial, or any kind of instructions? The Mock drafts don't let you participate with commish functions...just as a regular drafter.
          It's really pretty intuitive. The Commish can go into the draft room days before and get a feel for it, and tweak the timers for both nomination and bidding until the room is comfortable and then it can be speeded up as needed.

And yes, bids can be rolled back if there's an issue, just keep track if there's a buy AFTER the mess up so that player can be bought by same owner. Just have the winner of the bid make the same bid, and every one else sit out. That's only if you have to roll it back more than one or two players. Hope that makes sense.
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

Excellent...thanks Horns, Ken and JC! I definitely appreciate the help.
            2021 Auction Anatomy
            2021 Keeper Decisions
            2020 Auction Anatomy
            2020 Pre-Auction
            2015 Auction Anatomy
            2014 Auction Anatomy
            2011 Auction Anatomy

Comment

you cant pause while a player is up for bid fyi...only in between throws.

Comment

Unless I missed something as commish, you only have the ability to change the nomination time and the time of bidding. Shortest bidding time is 15 seconds. So every time a guy bids, it resets to 15. If 2 owners wait until the last second and start going from 1 to 30 one bid at a time........ The only other problem I noticed is that other sites allowed to set the first bid higher than other bids. Like 30 seconds, then 15. The way CBS has it, some guy at the bottom of your list is nominated and before you can look him up, that 15 secs goes fast. In my fantrax auction, I set it to 30 seconds initial, then 15 for the remaining bids.

Comment

The most important questions about functionality have all been expertly covered. The biggest tip I would add is to warn everybody, LOAD YOUR QUEUE! It might not seem important but it is. I try and load all of my targets into my queue from highest to lowest expected prices, and also keep a few of my favourite throws to soak up money near the top of my queue. Having everybody ready to nominate with their queue will help people feel much more relaxed with the format, so I would recommend at least an hour before draft folks show up to get organized.
                  Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Working...
                  X